Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA left us alone because of delayed Oneworld flight...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 1:37 pm
p78
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond

I'm mad

Our dream holidays to JFK and SFO started very bad because of stupid BA policy...

what happened ?
TXL-JFK
AB7248 (paid ticket issued by AirBerlin) flight was 3 hours late
landed 18:22 instead 15:45
becouse of this we didn't get on time to gate to catch
20:17
AA85 JFK-SFO (avios by BA), gate status boarding on screens in terminal, but gate closed....

we called AA to rebook
answer
BA ticket we cannot touch it

I called BA...redemption ticket we cannot change it cancelled you must buy new ticket/redemption

we ware 3adults +3year old and 7 months baby....BA supervisor said the same
so oneworld delayed flight doesn't mind anything to BA???

no flexybility,
no help

Im BA Gold for what????
BA don't care for US

funny thing if this ticket was issued by AA we could got help, and rebooking...

what happened next

it was last flight
not enough miles to new tickets....(earlies available 24h later...)

ended buying expensive 575USD per person for AA9 service at 7.00
spend 245USD for hotel....

what next do you think I can get some help from BA for cover it?

I thought that we were protected free rebooking because of delayed flight ...yes but only if you paid for ticket don't use avios....because you can be catch but stupid BA policy....

Last edited by p78; May 4, 2016 at 1:43 pm Reason: edit
Old May 4, 2016, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Did you go to an AA desk? You would have had more luck there.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Where the two sectors separate bookings? If so, BA are under no obligation to do anything in these circumstances.

If it was the same booking, BA should have rebooked you onto the next available flight in the same class at no cost.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:45 pm
p78
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
Did you go to an AA desk? You would have had more luck there.
I've been at AA desk....two separate tickets...
Old May 4, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Because you booked separate tickets, BA has no obligation to rebook you free of charge. Had they been on the same ticket, you certainly would have been rebooked.

Other airlines within the oneworld alliance do have a policy of rebooking customers whose inbound oneworld operated flight was delayed, causing them to miss their next flight on a separate ticket. BA is not one of those airlines unfortunately.

However, American Airlines is so the advice above to head to the airport ticket desk might have helped as there might have been some give and take there considering you would have been dealing with American Airlines and not BA.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:56 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's a very bad outcome from you, but most unfortunately, it is the risk you take with 2 separate tickets.

It's not ultimately a BA issue, in that while they issued the tickets, the on-the-day airlines are AB and AA. BA's ticket required you to be in LHR by T3 and it wasn't really BA's fault that you didn't make it. AB will say "you paid us to get to London, and we got you there, eventually". AA - normally - are accommodating in these circumstances, and would rebook, so I am not quite sure what happened there.

If you split tickets like this, you lose protection, that's quite well known and certainly often discussed in this forum. You have to mitigate it by insurance or self insurance. Or you pay more to get a through ticket, that extra cost is your insurance. I certainly don't envy your position and I would have hoped AA could have been more flexible, there is supposedly an AA policy to protect oneworld bookings, which used to be public but now is not. May be a silly question, but is the AA agent aware that AB is oneworld? At this stage of the game they own your ticket and they hold the cards.

[Calling BA was never going to work, the telephone agents don't have any flexibility in this situation, this is a classic example of something that can only be sorted out at the airport].

One specific thing you need to do is to persuade AA to protect the return sector, which they should be able to do.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pawel Siewko
I've been at AA desk....two separate tickets...
Perhaps point the AA staff member to the last page of this pdf which suggests AA (or Air Berlin) will sort things out.

After your trip you could seek EU 261 compensation for the delay from Air Berlin, which should cover much of the additional expense you have suffered.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what next do you think I can get some help from BA for cover it?
No. It's not BA's problem you did not show up for the flight booked with BA avios.
I thought that we were protected free rebooking because of delayed flight ...yes but only if you paid for ticket don't use avios....because you can be catch but stupid BA policy....
No. With separate tickets it all you risk.
As you have noted AA have a policy of accommodating if AA or another oneworld airline causes a delay. This is not a Oneworld policy or a BA policy. But you did not pay AA. AA is the just the bus operator. You had a BA ticket, that you no showed.
Old May 4, 2016, 2:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by stewardo

After your trip you could seek EU 261 compensation for the delay from Air Berlin, which should cover much of the additional expense you have suffered.
Unfortunately I suspect not, since it was under 3 hours late which is needed for compensation to be payable, and it would in any case not cover the amount concerned. It is another reason for the OP to book connections well over 3 hours later, at least within Europe/European airlines, if on 2 tickets. Plus AB do everything they can not to pay up under EC/261.
Old May 4, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Did you per chance pay for the original tickets and/or the replacement tickets with an AMEX Platinum card (I believe if you pay the taxes on an award it's covered too) ? Do you have travel insurance that covers missed connections?
Old May 4, 2016, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I thought that we were protected free rebooking because of delayed flight ...yes but only if you paid for ticket don't use avios....
Actually, even this assumption is incorrect. Having paid cash for your tickets does not necessarily get you any more protection. You could have paid cash for these tickets and found yourself in exactly the same position.

The only way of guaranteeing protection is to make sure that the flights are on one ticket. If that would mean paying a higher fare, or giving up the chance to use Avios, then you have to make a decision about what you value more.
Old May 4, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Unfortunately that is the risk you take by making separate bookings. Having said that, I am surprised an AA ticket desk (not the gate) weren't willing to be flexible.

I'm sorry, I know it's a lot of money not to get back / to have to spend unexpectedly, but there's not a lot that can be done now.
Old May 4, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was AA85 JFK-SFO a return? That is JFK-SFO-JFK on the same avios reservation?
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
One specific thing you need to do is to persuade AA to protect the return sector, which they should be able to do.
This means because you no showed (or cancelled?) JFK-SFO, the return leg (SFO-JFK) may have been cancelled. This is normal airline practise:- miss any sector and all remaining sectors are automatically cancelled?
Old May 4, 2016, 2:37 pm
p78
Suspended
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stewardo
Perhaps point the AA staff member to the last page of this pdf which suggests AA (or Air Berlin) will sort things out.
so why on phone and desk they said that they can't do anything?

could I get some refund from AA because of this policy?
I bought expensive tickets on AA stock (Expedia)
Old May 4, 2016, 2:37 pm
p78
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Was AA85 JFK-SFO a return? That is JFK-SFO-JFK on the same avios reservation?
This means because you no showed (or cancelled?) JFK-SFO, the return leg (SFO-JFK) may have been cancelled. This is normal airline practise:- miss any sector and all remaining sectors are automatically cancelled?
one way redemption booking JFK-SFO leg...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.