Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA crew upgrading a passenger on board.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
But the real point is that there should be no concern at all for anyone who is not involved in the process.
Why not? Will the thought police make arrests?

It would be entirely natural for a paid-up customer to be concerned about non-operational upgrades to their cabin. After all, they have paid for their class of travel. It is going to seem unfair, and may devalue the customer's perception of the value of the product as others are getting it on the cheap.

It is completely unrealistic to say it is none-of-the-business of other passengers in the higher cabin. We are a social species and we live in a culture of fairness which many of us learn from early childhood. We're all connected, and it is completely normal for this behaviour to be noticed and feel concerned about.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Bronze!! Hilton Gold
Friends of mine travelling black from San Fran a few weeks ago on BA got upgraded from WT to CW. One of the CC was an old school friend they hadn't seen in years..... Nice final touch to their holiday
Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Kids should be taught at school that life, unfortunately, is not fair
Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:40 pm

Wow - what a range of feelings and opinions as to be expected. I have read this thru all the way as I am directly interested in this. I have been very lucky with the large amount of travel I do, to 'know' someone at BA who does pass my name along to the relevant Capt. That Capt will or won't upgrade me at his discretion. I have had about a 50% success in moving from Y to CW, mostly as I cross onto the plane or just after I have sat down in my Y seat.

I have had a couple of occasions where there is no space further up and that's the luck of it. I had one time where the Capt was taken ill and replaced by someone else who never got the message. I even had one of my work colleagues upgraded by the Capt by accident because his name was very similar to mine! (Lucky bugger).

But whenever I fly, I always, always hope to move up and NEVER expect it. I know it's a huge favour and I treat it as that. I dress a little smarter than jeans, and when I do move up, I always make sure:
1. Never let on what's happening
2. Never post it on social media
3. Always behave as you would whenever someone does something kind to you. I treat the cabin crew with the utmost respect and graciousness.

I don't take advantage, I love having a chat with whoever has upgraded me in the cabin, and often the Capt will pop down for a quick chat and I always make sure they are aware of how appreciative I am without allowing others to overhear. Actually, I always have had really nice chats with the cabin crew in CW and they know how I got there. Only once have I had a rather surly CSD who grudgingly moved me to WT+ when the CW cabin was almost empty. He obviously did not want to move me at all and was under orders. Even then I smiled and thanked him and ignored his obvious anger towards me!

Yes, it's a case of not what you know, but who you know. And I see it as no different to getting a discount on a product because the shop owner is a friend. Or getting Sky at half price because a mate works there. Or whatever.

It's not anyone else's business because I don't rub anyone's nose in it. It is my business and that of the Captain of that aircraft, who has the authority to make the decision. He doesn't always do it either BTW.

And I even managed to repay one of the CSD's once by offering her a benefit of my business as a way of thanking her for all the great service. So it sometimes works both ways.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I really don't know what to say anymore.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Why not? Will the thought police make arrests?

It would be entirely natural for a paid-up customer to be concerned about non-operational upgrades to their cabin. After all, they have paid for their class of travel. It is going to seem unfair, and may devalue the customer's perception of the value of the product as others are getting it on the cheap.

It is completely unrealistic to say it is none-of-the-business of other passengers in the higher cabin. We are a social species and we live in a culture of fairness which many of us learn from early childhood. We're all connected, and it is completely normal for this behaviour to be noticed and feel concerned about.
But I just don't get how it is unfair for the paying customer that somebody else flew in the same cabin without paying for it. That sounds like jealousy to me. How are operational upgrades different from onboard upgrades? In both instances the passenger did not pay to fly in that cabin. Not everyone is pre-occupied with how other people get things. It is not as if other people are taking something from the paying customers. What's wrong with good things happening to people? Following your logic it may seem similarly unfair that people are doing ex-DUB flying without paying the full fare that other passengers are paying or that people are getting higher status with cheap TPs run cheapening the value of 'true' GGLs or CCR card holders. Someone else will always be getting something that others can't get for free or on the cheap in all sorts of situations in life - it will take too much time and will be too stressful to think about all of these situations. After all, fair does not mean that nobody gets what you can't get. Me thinks.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 2:16 pm

But I just don't get how it is unfair for the paying customer that somebody else flew in the same cabin without paying for it. That sounds like jealousy to me. How are operational upgrades different from onboard upgrades? In both instances the passenger did not pay to fly in that cabin. Not everyone is pre-occupied with how other people get things. It is not as if other people are taking something from the paying customers. What's wrong with good things happening to people? Following your logic it may seem similarly unfair that people are doing ex-DUB flying without paying the full fare that other passengers are paying or that people are getting higher status with cheap TPs run cheapening the value of 'true' GGLs or CCR card holders. Someone else will always be getting something that others can't get for free or on the cheap in all sorts of situations in life - it will take too much time and will be too stressful to think about all of these situations. After all, fair does not mean that nobody gets what you can't get. Me thinks.
But we don't live in a vacuum. We naturally will compare ourselves with those around us.

Opups are different from flight/cabin crew favoured upgrades because of the motivation behind them. Opups are for operational reasons, and the latter are for friendship, like or love.

Of course to actively be pre-occupied with other people's benefits would be unhealthy, and it would be too stressful and take too much time as you rightly say. However, there is a difference between that and noticing that your 1/3 empty cabin suddenly becomes full after doors have closed and the crew seem more friendly with them, and you are left wondering about the £3K you have spent when others clearly haven't.

Or, if you are sat in Y, and your next door neighbour suddenly gets a quiet word from the crew and get up and move forward, never to be seen again. Yes, of course, you still got what you paid for, but it would be completely normal to feel jealous as someone else has been favoured over you.

Jealousy (and envy) is a normal emotion that is a type of anger, which in turn is letting you know that something that you want is being frustrated. Best thing is to acknowledge it and understand why, then choose to feel something else. Like happiness or humour for example, and enjoy your flight!
Old Apr 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A lot of fuss over something that's usually the figment of the posters imagination rather than any solid evidence.

I always love the 'I have higher status than them'....'I saw all their boarding passes at the gate' ones the best.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Wow, how petty we can be.

This ain't the US, it ain't AA, you don't get to use every 1st and Business Seat via some one having one more point than someone else. It's BA and BA will fly with emptyish J and F cabins rather than give it away.

If you get an outa the blue upgrade, op-up, something from captain n crew or whatever, smile say thank's and be happy.

If you don't get an upgrade, tough, but smile and be happy, you got what you paid for

And do stop worrying about what others get, as it is really is not any of your business, you don't know why, and you will get so stressed out worrying why other people get something more than you do and feeling inadequate
Old Apr 9, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
This thread is going to continue to go round in circles I think.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by simon1234567
Wow - what a range of feelings and opinions as to be expected. I have read this thru all the way as I am directly interested in this. I have been very lucky with the large amount of travel I do, to 'know' someone at BA who does pass my name along to the relevant Capt. That Capt will or won't upgrade me at his discretion. I have had about a 50% success in moving from Y to CW, mostly as I cross onto the plane or just after I have sat down in my Y seat.
So you are a paying customer who apparently only ever buys a Y ticket because of your inside track on upgrades. What would you book if you didn't have this benefit?

How are operational upgrades different from onboard upgrades? In both instances the passenger did not pay to fly in that cabin.
Well, the difference is that Op-ups are the consequence of a business decision by the business owner to overbook certain cabins to maximise revenue. The airline judges that it will benefit economically from this process. Similarly for ex-Dub etc fares, the business owner makes the decision with the aim of maximising revenue and profit. Unauthorised (by the airline) onboard upgrades for mates are not decided by the business owner and don't contribute to maximising revenue. As I said above, I have no problem with them myself, but I see them for what they are, and to my mind they are definitely different from an op-up.

Out of interest, to the staffers out there, when a captain or CSD uses their legitimate discretion up upgrade someone onboard, are they supposed to report this to BA?
Old Apr 9, 2016, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes, it is shown on the iPad with who authorised it, any upgrades I do would be for service recovery only.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Virgin Flying Club, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred, National Emerald, Dr. Oetker Speciale
So long as I get what I pay for, I really don't care.
Every industry has it's perks and this particular industry is one where the staff have for years had their existing terms and conditions under attack and the joy sucked out of their jobs.
Live and let live I say.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yikes...I predict this thread will eventually be locked down.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences

Jealousy (and envy) is a normal emotion that is a type of anger, which in turn is letting you know that something that you want is being frustrated. Best thing is to acknowledge it and understand why, then choose to feel something else. Like happiness or humour for example, and enjoy your flight!
OK, so we do agree that it is pure jealousy that's driving this. I just choose not to be jealous - it is an unhealthy emotion. I focus on what I can or cannot have. What if I am jealous of people who fly at their employers' expense while I have to pay for my tickets and often in WTP rather than CW? And it makes no difference to me if a 1/3 full CW suddenly becomes full - however people got there is no concern of mine. What if BA sold those seats for USD1 just to fill them? Would you not be upset as you have paid much much more for the same seat?

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Well, the difference is that Op-ups are the consequence of a business decision by the business owner to overbook certain cabins to maximise revenue. The airline judges that it will benefit economically from this process.
I get the difference but my question is what does it have to do with me? I am not BA, I won't gain or lose anything if someone flies in a better seat.

Look at the thread about recognition of GCHs in Y. It is exactly the same thing. People get something extra for being Golds. Yes, some may argue that they are paying customers, but the premise is the same - we get something extra that BA has not necessarily authorized. But yet we justify it somehow. It appears that some want everything for them and nothing for others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.