BA crew upgrading a passenger on board.

Old Apr 7, 16, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: RJ Emerald
BA crew upgrading a passenger on board.

I often browse through instagram,using airlines hashtags/ or by entering particular airport/lounge locations.

The pic shows a non status pax with a WT BP sitting in CW and thanking BA crew for the upgrade in the comments.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD4GJsql...britishairways

I was always under impression that any kind of upgrades would be reflected on the BP?
Old Apr 7, 16, 9:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Looking at her other pictures it looks like she is staff. She probably had a coach ticket and the crew upgraded her as a courtesy but against policies... She was pretty dumb in posting it though..
Old Apr 7, 16, 9:54 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Silver, BAEC Gold (OWE), Hyatt
Although I think she is Southwest staff, not BA staff.
Old Apr 7, 16, 11:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi View Post
I was always under impression that any kind of upgrades would be reflected on the BP?
Not always. I've had two on-board upgrades, one at the door of the plane (CW to F) and one after boarding was complete (I was in a bulkhead / cot row....was supposed to move WT to WTP, but the people sitting next to me made so much fuss that I was being moved and why weren't they being considered.... that they were moved first....which took up the space in WTP....so I ended up in CW )
Old Apr 8, 16, 12:10 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Gold
She may be staff of another airline, but judging by that boarding card it certainly doesn't look like she's using any form of staff travel.

Gate upgrades don't always get boarding cards fully reprinted either, often just a squiggle like shows on hers. It is of course possible that the crew have done this onboard. Either way, she's a lucky girl
Old Apr 8, 16, 12:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL+CCR, HH D, QFF, EB
I've been upgraded on board after take off as somebody else's seat was broken and they upgraded me to move them into my seat.
Old Apr 8, 16, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
I personally like the fake nails and monogrammed LV purse
Old Apr 8, 16, 12:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The captain is also allowed to exercise his or her discretion to upgrade someone on an occasional basis; in practical terms it is at the behest of the CSD. Or rather more usually, the CSM in my experience! Either way, be nice to the crew and do a lot of flying.
Old Apr 8, 16, 12:42 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, Fairmont Premier
I almost posted a while ago to ask about something that I had heard from an extremely unreliable source who is most certainly not BA staff and not a regular flyer but claimed to have a friend who was a pilot. The person in question simply told the staff member which flight he was on, they emailed 'an address' and after boarding the CSD came and moved the person from WT to CW (some kind of space-available, on-board U/G).

I wouldn't have believed anything about the story except I did see both a photo of this person sitting in a CW seat and their WT BP (not the ones referred to above).
Old Apr 8, 16, 12:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The captain is also allowed to exercise his or her discretion to upgrade someone on an occasional basis; in practical terms it is at the behest of the CSD. Or rather more usually, the CSM in my experience! Either way, be nice to the crew and do a lot of flying.
Indeed. It is quite common. And a mutually beneficial arrangement for which I am sure the CSD and Captain are equally pleased.

I am friendly with a couple of crew members and on the odd occasion when I have been flying with them they have always looked after me very well. They have also on occasion made sure that I am well looked after even when not flying with them.
Old Apr 8, 16, 1:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by Diver Boy View Post
I've been upgraded on board after take off as somebody else's seat was broken and they upgraded me to move them into my seat.
+1. Mine was from CW to F on the A380
Old Apr 8, 16, 1:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
Was flying WT on 777. The captain started chatting with me (this captain clearly likes doing that). He told me about a company he is a director in (I must have told him that I develop electric trucks). I was able to name the company and had recently visited it (near EDI).

He upgraded me to CW...

On a AA (well US during the transition) I didn't sit in my assigned exit as there was 3 seats across empty near by. The guy who was next to me in the exit moved to my window seat. Shortly after takeoff he was moved to business (I assumed he was staff)

A little later I chatted with the FA on my free drink (EXP on AA privilege) she asked my name, and realized that it was me that was meant to be upgraded. She asked the other guy if he was mr seaskybound and he said yes (but it was not intentional mistake, noise of aircraft etc). They let him finish the meal and we swapped (all in good mode)

It was the business purser that saw there was 1 exp on generally empty flight that organised this in the first place
Old Apr 8, 16, 1:23 am

Programs: BA Gold Marriott Lifetime Plat Hilton Diamond
This scenario also happened about 4 years ago when I was flying in F from BOM back to the UK with BA.

I was the only one in F and had all my work/laptop in 1K and meal/drinks in 1A (actually suggested by the flight crew and not taking advantage!)

After about an hour into the flight one of the flight crew let me know they were bringing the Captains brother into F and did I mind (of course not I said).

On chatting to him he'd been sat in W and this was the 1st time he'd managed to be on a flight where his brother was Captain (he was coming back to the UK ex DXB via BOM)
Old Apr 8, 16, 1:28 am

Programs: BA GGL
I observed a family of 4 moved to CW from somewhere further back returning to LHR a few days ago. I think after the doors were closed. I was far too British to ask the Dad, who was in the seat next to mine, how he managed that. Earwigging later I deduced he was mates with someone in the cockpit.
Old Apr 8, 16, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Accor Sil, Black Cineworld Unlimited, Tastecard
i've been upgraded at the gate without a new BP being issued (though most of the time it does involve a new BP) and I've been upgraded on board without getting a new BP - mostly at the discretion of the crew rather than there being an operational need.

Search this Thread