Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 to T3 horrible transfer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:14 am
db7

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, BA ,
For people with genuine disability the transfer can be extremely frustrating due to the number of able bodied people who use the free service as a way of getting around language problems.

You are normally met of the plane quick enough and transferred to the bus. The problem starts when you get off the bus. There is normally a queue and no clear method of prioritising. It can often take over an hour before a pusher is available. I normally resort to asking if they have a spare wheelchair I can push my wife in.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I don't go through LHR as often as most of you. I make an annual LAX-LHR-DUS trip, flying in on AA to T3, then out on BA from T5, then reverse to go back home.

The T3-T5 transfer works OK for me. There's a lot of walking, but no more so than any other busy international airport. I've never had to wait that long for a bus and usually get a place to sit on the bus. The trick is to not be one of the last to board. If the bus looks really crowded, I will let a few people behind me go ahead. Then I'm first to board the next bus and can grab the seat of my choice. I'd rather stand a bit on terra firma than on the moving bus.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
For some reason I've found T5-T3 (int'l-int'l) in the last few months to be much more frustrating than the reverse. It's probably the bizarrely long walk from the bus drop off to the FCC now, coupled with having to stop by the new AA desks. For T3-T5 I at least don't feel that silly obstacles are being inserted in my way, even if the bus is a bit slow.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by superweak
For some reason I've found T5-T3 (int'l-int'l) in the last few months to be much more frustrating than the reverse. It's probably the bizarrely long walk from the bus drop off to the FCC now, coupled with having to stop by the new AA desks. For T3-T5 I at least don't feel that silly obstacles are being inserted in my way, even if the bus is a bit slow.
What is the deal with the new AA desks at T3? I assume you talk about those couple of desks that they pull you in a side room on the left hand side as you transiting towards T3, where they do passport checks and a mini interrogation? It strikes me as completely useless and that you can ignore them and keep going straight towards the main security, as they will do double passport checks at the gate anyway...
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold IHG Plat SAA Voyager Alaska Airlines
AA Interogation

I had this 2 weeks ago and the only question they did not ask me was -- what did I have for breakfast. Stood in the queue for 40 mins and and pity the people in the non priority section. Will not do a code share again my next flight to CPT is via LGW so not 5 to 3 problem with assistance.Those people who think the 5 to 3 is fine have no real understanding of the problems for those who need genuine assistance.Would rather put up with the lounge problem at LGW than 5 to 3 at LHR
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
My experience is that it's frustrating to have to change terminals but that the process isn't too onerous per se. The only issue I've had at T3 was that my GCH status didn't get me Fast Track at security. I was told it was First or Business only. I challenged the agent and was allowed through. Other than that it's been pretty seamless, except for inept passengers not realising you need to push your trays forward on the belt.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott TfL, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No passports, but you will need them in the lounge to confirm your ESTA (etc).
There is now a BA 'long haul' desk just after the AA 'transfer' desk. You are asked if you are flying BA long haul and if so, you must present your passport and boarding card. Presumably this confirms your ESTA as no request to show passport was made in F lounge.

My passport had to be scanned 3 times when I boarded and then my Global Entry failed in MIA.

Is this 'long haul desk' the new 'enhancement' that caused the passport re-scan and GE failure ??

(Yes, I know cross-posting !!)
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
We have a DUB-MIA flight next week in F. Our last experience of the T5-T3 shuffle was awful with a horrendously long queue for a bus and packed so tightly that if we had been cattle there would have been animal rights protesters outside

We only have 90 minutes from DUB landing to MIA take off so a little concerned. We are going to do a dummy run at lunch time to see if the tube would be a better option. Surely HAL and BA can make this a better experience!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
We only have 90 minutes from DUB landing to MIA take off so a little concerned. We are going to do a dummy run at lunch time to see if the tube would be a better option. Surely HAL and BA can make this a better experience!
I suspect I'm on the same itinerary later this month. When I booked some while ago I forgot that the MIA flights were going to be from T3.

My previous experiences of similar connections doesn't fill me with confidence either and I would much appreciate you posting how it goes (good, bad or otherwise .
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redpalmetto
Just had the experience of Heathrow not making each journey better with a T5 domestic arrival to T3 transfer to pick up a Miami flight. Surely BA could do better than this horrible transfer via more security too, particularly for premium pax.
But even more bizarre was a twitter exchange with @heathrowairport who said all arriving pax had to reclear security, clearly not understanding domestic arrivals do not, or their own internal T5 setup.

There is really no joined up thinking.
Totally agree, it is very annoying
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MILLEMIGLIA Freccia Alata, M&M Blue
I really prefer the T5 to T3 transfers than the T3 to T5 ones. Connecting security at T3 has always been really quick for me (0 to 5 minutes) which is a breeze when you compare it to Fast Track connecting security in T5.
The only thing is the long walks you have to do but that's a really well organised and stressless route compared to connecting in CDG or even worst, JFK!!!
I don't understand how you can call this experience horrible.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I suspect I'm on the same itinerary later this month. When I booked some while ago I forgot that the MIA flights were going to be from T3.

My previous experiences of similar connections doesn't fill me with confidence either and I would much appreciate you posting how it goes (good, bad or otherwise .
I'll certainly let you know how things go next Thursday morning. Just got back from doing a "dummy run" on the underground. T5 Arrivals to T3 Departures was 13 minutes and the reverse journey was 19 minutes (longer wait for tube). Of course that doesn't take into account delays at security and passport control. But our last T5-T3 Flight Connections transfer took over an hour via the bus.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'll certainly let you know how things go next Thursday morning. Just got back from doing a "dummy run" on the underground. T5 Arrivals to T3 Departures was 13 minutes and the reverse journey was 19 minutes (longer wait for tube). Of course that doesn't take into account delays at security and passport control. But our last T5-T3 Flight Connections transfer took over an hour via the bus.
That was a very quick time time from T5 Arrivals to T3 departures, T3 is a good 6 minutes walk from the tube, so you must have had a tube waiting for you!

The tube service frequency drops to one every 12 minutes off peak, whereas there is a bus every 6 minutes or so airside. Personally it takes me about 40 minutes airside via the bus (I'd use the e-gates and North Fast Track in the reverse direction) gate to gate, and the tube would take around 50 minutes gate to gate depending on T3 security somewhat. I can see a possible case for using the tube if arriving into T5 domestically, and departing T2 since that's close to the tube station but generally landside won't be quicker for T3.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I'll certainly let you know how things go next Thursday morning.
Very much appreciated. ^
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Ohhhh we can have a race.
I am doing the same connection next Thursday as well onto int F.
I suspect we are probably on the 831. One of us can do airside the other the tube. I have a little more time than you so can do either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.