T5 to T3 horrible transfer

Old Apr 2, 16, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
T5 to T3 horrible transfer

Just had the experience of Heathrow not making each journey better with a T5 domestic arrival to T3 transfer to pick up a Miami flight. Surely BA could do better than this horrible transfer via more security too, particularly for premium pax.
But even more bizarre was a twitter exchange with @heathrowairport who said all arriving pax had to reclear security, clearly not understanding domestic arrivals do not, or their own internal T5 setup.

There is really no joined up thinking.
Old Apr 2, 16, 6:13 am

Unfortunately, until HAL builds the inter-terminal airside transfers train, you will have to re-clear security when changing terminals.

But BA could provide it's own inter-terminal post security transfers bus, when Virgin had Little Red, an airside bus would meet arriving domestic passengers and take them from T1/2 to T3 without having to re-clear security if they were connecting.
Old Apr 2, 16, 6:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you arrive at T5 as a DOM you don't go through security if your onward connection is from T5.

However, if you are connecting on to a flight from any other terminal you do clear security when you reach that terminal. So in your case LHR were correct, you would go through security at T3.

What was horrible about it specifically?

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 2, 16 at 7:19 am
Old Apr 2, 16, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Plat SAA Voyager Alaska Airlines
Try doing the same with assistance

Twice this year have had the 5 to 3 nightmare. First a flight to CPT and second to MIA.You are dumped at terminal 3 and on both occasion advised to make your own way to the lounge as they cant tell how long you will wait. Two weeks ago the Que for assistance was as long as your arm and one passenger had been waiting over an hour.
Old Apr 2, 16, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA 1K, DL FO
The T5-T3 transfer is never pleasant in my experience. Buses are not that frequent and are then rammed to the gills. It is probability 1 that my bus will get stuck behind some slow moving vehicle. There's a fair amount of walking at T3 end once you have cleared the tedious process of going through security and then lining up to get a new boarding card from AA (plus doc check). It is my route home of last resort and usually only invoked when the direct AA from Zurich is very late and I'm rebooked or there is some cost advantage to flying the codeshare home.
Old Apr 2, 16, 6:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I have avoided all flights that connect from T5 to T3 because of the horrid experience my and I had transferring in December - to the MIA too. Because of necessity I had to return direct from MIA last week and so did the T3 to T5 connection, I agree with the OP it isn't good.
Old Apr 2, 16, 6:42 am

I find transfers at LHR even worse than the infamous long walks at FRA. When transferring in Europe I try to pick anything but those two.
Old Apr 2, 16, 6:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I seem to be doing connections at a completely separate Heathrow airport from everyone else! I can't claim I do the T5-T3 connection very often, but I have done it a few times over the last few years both using the old FCC and the new one at T3 (opened early last year I think).

I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a bus. Even on the occasions when I just miss one I think the frequency is around 5-7 minutes for them. I have also never been on a crowded bus. I think usually there are 6-10 passengers on when I have taken them, sometimes less. The journey takes about 5 minutes (I will try and time it next time).

Once you arrive at T3 you go up the escalators, join the stream of arriving passengers for about 200m, then turn right and down to the FCC. Again at FCC I have always seemed to go through security in less than 5 minutes - that include my last connection about 2 weeks ago which involved a random liquids check. After that you are straight in to the corridor with the lounges, so the AA and BA lounges are a few steps away.

I think my timings of stepping of my inbounds at t5a to sat in the lounge have consistently been about 30 minutes total.

Clearly not as great as a intra terminal transfer, but then no inter terminal transfer at LHR would be.
Old Apr 2, 16, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by JFX1764 View Post

But BA could provide it's own inter-terminal post security transfers bus, when Virgin had Little Red, an airside bus would meet arriving domestic passengers and take them from T1/2 to T3 without having to re-clear security if they were connecting.
But that met only a small number of flights a day (?10-12 at most) and was only for passengers connecting to a VS flight.

They had a sort of mini ticket check on the jetway before letting you get on the bus. Had to show an onward VS BP not just say you were flying VS.
Old Apr 2, 16, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Last month I arrived at T5 went landside jumped on the Piccadilly line tapped on and off for free and was airside at T3 in no time. Yes HBO and not in any rush but didn't feel in any way horrid. There's far worse experiences around the world!
Old Apr 2, 16, 7:28 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
KARFA's experiences are the complete opposite of mine. Slow, crowded buses driven by staff who slam on the brakes every two minutes causing standing passengers to be thrown around the bus.
Why can the T3 bus not simply pull up at the transfer/connections centre rather than making you hike all the way to arrivals and then back down to connections.
All around it's a horrible experience and I will avoid it in future at all costs.
Old Apr 2, 16, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Having done a dozen or so T5 to T3 and vice versa transfers in the last couple of years, I have not really had many problems; I do however try to schedule quite a bit of margin between flights.
I do however agree though it is not ideal, and cannot understand why BA, the dominant operater at LHR, did not force HAL to complete the T5 project (full size T5C plus T5D and T5E) before they embarked on T2 which offers BA not benefit at all. This would have allowed BA to operate under one roof, surely a commercial benefit for BA.
Old Apr 2, 16, 8:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by Markie View Post
KARFA's experiences are the complete opposite of mine. Slow, crowded buses driven by staff who slam on the brakes every two minutes causing standing passengers to be thrown around the bus.
Why can the T3 bus not simply pull up at the transfer/connections centre rather than making you hike all the way to arrivals and then back down to connections.
All around it's a horrible experience and I will avoid it in future at all costs.
This +1.

The buses rarely run on time, the staff policing the waiting lines are incredibly rude, and the buses are frequently jam-packed full (which is a big deal if you're trying to board at T5B and there is only space for one or two new passengers).
Old Apr 2, 16, 8:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Was that perhaps the previous set-up? Currently the Flight Connection centre channel is about 210 metres from the bus drop off point, on the right, connected by 2 moving walkways. Arrivals is a further 80 metres on the left.

I've not had any bad experiences, and quite a few where I've got from T5 domestic to the BA lounge in 30 to 40 minutes. The bus journey itself is 11 to 14 minutes of that. The straightline distance is 1.8 km, I guess it actually does 2.5 km or 3 km by the time it has gone around the houses. Ideally BA wouldn't be operating out of 2 terminals, or perhaps splitting the services differently.

So far the specifics I can see so far are:
- it's a bus
- it's a hike at T3
- it's slow
- it's packed
- the drivers tend to over-brake
Of those I've not really experienced the last 3, and T3 is considerably more spread out that T5.
Old Apr 2, 16, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Been years since I did an airside terminal transfer and it was the same then as it has always been at LHR in all the years I recall. Lots of jostling people, no chance of a seat once on the bus and drivers who are partial to heavy braking....much the same as any airport I've had to take a bus transfer to be fair.
Not great but not horrible either. In a way I quite enjoyed them as it gave me the chance to guess the nationalities of my fellow travellers. Always seems to me though that customer health and safety goes out the window once you're on those buses.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: