B77W and A380 watch: second-hand frames

Old Mar 6, 16, 4:13 pm
  #16  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 207
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain View Post
You forgot to say about the A380, extremely profitable on the right route.
True, but are there enough right routes to warrant an expansion of the fleet to, say, ~20 aircraft? I am of the belief an enlarged A380 with newer engines would sell more than the A380, however, Airbus has not even announced such a version.
Dean Cooperfield_West is offline  
Old Mar 6, 16, 4:18 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 16
There is a number of routes the A380 would work on if BA considered making their WT prices a bit more competitive. That's the reason the A380 works for EK.
Flaming_Booty is offline  
Old Mar 6, 16, 4:23 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: City of Kingston Upon Hull
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 4,682
Originally Posted by Flaming_Booty View Post
There is a number of routes the A380 would work on if BA considered making their WT prices a bit more competitive. That's the reason the A380 works for EK.
The main reason why EK can make A380s work is that their base at DXB is at the centre of the traffic routes unlike BA, which based at LHR, is at the end of a route. EK can make more efficient use of their aircraft and crew because of their geographic location.
kanderson1965 is offline  
Old Mar 6, 16, 4:27 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by kanderson1965 View Post
The main reason why EK can make A380s work is that their base at DXB is at the centre of the traffic routes unlike BA, which based at LHR, is at the end of a route. EK can make more efficient use of their aircraft and crew because of their geographic location.
I disagree. The amount of Mexico/USA/Canada-South Africa/India/middle east connections show that BA does have a prime route network position. It's just BA is usually one of the more expensive options even in Y.
Flaming_Booty is offline  
Old Mar 6, 16, 4:32 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: City of Kingston Upon Hull
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 4,682
Originally Posted by Flaming_Booty View Post
I disagree. The amount of USA/Canada-South Africa/India/middle east connections show that BA does have a prime route network position. It's just BA is usually one of the more expensive options even in Y.
Fair enough, I cannot argue with anyone with respect to Y pricing as I never fly in Y. In J and F, I find them competitive on any direct routing I am interested in.
kanderson1965 is offline  
Old Mar 6, 16, 5:46 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Alameda, CA, US
Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Posts: 1,338
Originally Posted by kanderson1965 View Post
Fair enough, I cannot argue with anyone with respect to Y pricing as I never fly in Y. In J and F, I find them competitive on any direct routing I am interested in.
I am not. Was trying to find business for wife who insist on wanting to visit TBS. BA price? Over $5,500. Turkish Airlines? $3,163.
Gshumway is offline  
Old Mar 6, 16, 7:47 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,572
Originally Posted by Gshumway View Post
I am not. Was trying to find business for wife who insist on wanting to visit TBS. BA price? Over $5,500. Turkish Airlines? $3,163.
BA don't fly to TBS. It's an odd destination to expect them to be competitive on.
Ldnn1 is online now  
Old Mar 6, 16, 7:53 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: BA Silver; SPG Gold; UA; DL; AA
Posts: 207
Honestly, I'm shocked the A380 hasn't been introduced to the JFK and/or EWR routes yet, where demand and competition are probably one of the highest of anything BA flies...
TheSafariMan is offline  
Old Mar 6, 16, 7:58 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: London
Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Posts: 956
Originally Posted by TheSafariMan View Post
Honestly, I'm shocked the A380 hasn't been introduced to the JFK and/or EWR routes yet, where demand and competition are probably one of the highest of anything BA flies...
On the NYC route, frequency is more important. So more, smaller planes.
Banana4321 is offline  
Old Mar 6, 16, 8:05 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BA
Posts: 9,462
Frequency is king on NYC. Even if flights are every 15 minutes at peak times on NYC-LON.
BA6501 is offline  
Old Mar 6, 16, 8:19 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: BA Silver; SPG Gold; UA; DL; AA
Posts: 207
Interesting, never thought about it that way, but I'd think frequent LARGE planes which move more people, more efficiently would be productive. So what you're saying is maybe the 787s would make more sense there? But I guess that's OT, sorry...
TheSafariMan is offline  
Old Mar 6, 16, 8:42 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Betwixt SEA and LHR
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Posts: 1,341
Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
Frequency is king on NYC. Even if flights are every 15 minutes at peak times on NYC-LON.
I'm shuddering here at the thought of JFK T7 immigration post A380 arrival.
opalfruit is online now  
Old Mar 6, 16, 8:44 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: London
Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Posts: 956
Originally Posted by opalfruit View Post
I'm shuddering here at the thought of JFK T7 immigration post A380 arrival.
Try arriving after the Cathay one lands....
Banana4321 is offline  
Old Mar 6, 16, 9:04 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Betwixt SEA and LHR
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Posts: 1,341
Originally Posted by Banana4321 View Post
Try arriving after the Cathay one lands....
CX fly A380s?

But, i digress - BA's JFK operation doesn't need bigger planes, T7 is a mess at the best of times.

Try arriving just behind the Aerolineas Argentinas, ANA or Ukrainian Airlines planes!
opalfruit is online now  
Old Mar 6, 16, 9:07 pm
  #30  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: LON, ACK, BOS..... (Not necessarily in that order)
Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Posts: 12,694
Originally Posted by opalfruit View Post
I'm shuddering here at the thought of JFK T7 immigration post A380 arrival.
Or BOS for that matter.
Jimmie76 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread