Wiki Posts
Search

B77W and A380 watch: second-hand frames

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain
You forgot to say about the A380, extremely profitable on the right route.
True, but are there enough right routes to warrant an expansion of the fleet to, say, ~20 aircraft? I am of the belief an enlarged A380 with newer engines would sell more than the A380, however, Airbus has not even announced such a version.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
There is a number of routes the A380 would work on if BA considered making their WT prices a bit more competitive. That's the reason the A380 works for EK.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Flaming_Booty
There is a number of routes the A380 would work on if BA considered making their WT prices a bit more competitive. That's the reason the A380 works for EK.
The main reason why EK can make A380s work is that their base at DXB is at the centre of the traffic routes unlike BA, which based at LHR, is at the end of a route. EK can make more efficient use of their aircraft and crew because of their geographic location.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
The main reason why EK can make A380s work is that their base at DXB is at the centre of the traffic routes unlike BA, which based at LHR, is at the end of a route. EK can make more efficient use of their aircraft and crew because of their geographic location.
I disagree. The amount of Mexico/USA/Canada-South Africa/India/middle east connections show that BA does have a prime route network position. It's just BA is usually one of the more expensive options even in Y.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Flaming_Booty
I disagree. The amount of USA/Canada-South Africa/India/middle east connections show that BA does have a prime route network position. It's just BA is usually one of the more expensive options even in Y.
Fair enough, I cannot argue with anyone with respect to Y pricing as I never fly in Y. In J and F, I find them competitive on any direct routing I am interested in.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Fair enough, I cannot argue with anyone with respect to Y pricing as I never fly in Y. In J and F, I find them competitive on any direct routing I am interested in.
I am not. Was trying to find business for wife who insist on wanting to visit TBS. BA price? Over $5,500. Turkish Airlines? $3,163.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Gshumway
I am not. Was trying to find business for wife who insist on wanting to visit TBS. BA price? Over $5,500. Turkish Airlines? $3,163.
BA don't fly to TBS. It's an odd destination to expect them to be competitive on.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver; SPG Gold; UA; DL; AA
Honestly, I'm shocked the A380 hasn't been introduced to the JFK and/or EWR routes yet, where demand and competition are probably one of the highest of anything BA flies...
Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by TheSafariMan
Honestly, I'm shocked the A380 hasn't been introduced to the JFK and/or EWR routes yet, where demand and competition are probably one of the highest of anything BA flies...
On the NYC route, frequency is more important. So more, smaller planes.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Frequency is king on NYC. Even if flights are every 15 minutes at peak times on NYC-LON.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver; SPG Gold; UA; DL; AA
Interesting, never thought about it that way, but I'd think frequent LARGE planes which move more people, more efficiently would be productive. So what you're saying is maybe the 787s would make more sense there? But I guess that's OT, sorry...
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by BA6501
Frequency is king on NYC. Even if flights are every 15 minutes at peak times on NYC-LON.
I'm shuddering here at the thought of JFK T7 immigration post A380 arrival.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by opalfruit
Try arriving after the Cathay one lands....
Old Mar 6, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by Banana4321
Try arriving after the Cathay one lands....
CX fly A380s?

But, i digress - BA's JFK operation doesn't need bigger planes, T7 is a mess at the best of times.

Try arriving just behind the Aerolineas Argentinas, ANA or Ukrainian Airlines planes!
Old Mar 6, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by opalfruit
Or BOS for that matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.