Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Seat selection on reward flight (member not travelling)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb

I'm sure it's a stupid question but I can't figure it out even when checking the Dashboard and the official rules:

Gold Members (oneworld Emerald) – free seat selection from the time of booking for everyone in your travel party (except on hand baggage only fares).
I have booked a reward flight for my father (PRG-LHR-ARN) in CE. I will not be on the flight. Should I be able to select a seat for him for free? My reasoning is that I'm gold and I'm doing the booking as well paying with my avios.

The ba.com will not allow me without paying which of course is fair enough as there's no exec club number attached to my fathers name. So, simply asked: Must the member travel on the actual flight in order to select seats for free in advance?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:28 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
No, you must be travelling for this benefit.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
Officially you need to be travelling, although I have on rare occasions been able to select seats for my wife/kids (all blue) when I'm not travelling.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Hi Lobengula.
The above advice is correct. The benefits are yours for when you travel, not for you to pass on to someone else when you don't.
A glitch I've noticed in the past (which may have been fixed) when I have used my Avios to make a booking for a family member was that my lounge benefit showed up in the booking. Without me travelling, the lounge benefit also doesn't apply.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Thank you all!

I kind of expected that answer

Well, dad will have to wait until check-in then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.