Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR connection. M&S Tea purchase options?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Got to agree with you CWS regarding Darjeeling tea, I much prefer Assam. From my trips out to Japan, I have learnt a lot about green and white teas especially the very different way they are prepared.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:53 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Oh yes I do like my tea, I would like eventually to visit a tea estate. I also suffer from teapot aquisition syndrome.
Likewise, I LOVE my cup of tea and drink at least 12 cups a day, more probably.

I've tasted an awful lot of tea over the years, and in many places, but I always much prefer..............Tetley!! (medium to strong)

I don't have a teapot collection but I really would feel lost without the teapot in my flat!
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I do love the M&S teas, they are much better than what is available in the US. Since the OP is in the USA, I suggest looking here: https://www.assamteacompany.com/

It's a family run company, the son runs the mail order base in Vancouver (but also ships across the border in Bellingham for the USA orders) and his Father is the tea farmer in Assam.

It is the freshest, nicest tea I have ever drunk. He says that typical grocery store tea we get in North America is 2 years old when it hits the shelf, and his goal is nothing older than 6 months. I can certainly taste the difference.

His teas are all single estate, so the stock comes and goes throughout the year depending upon what is in season. My favourite is Honey 'n Cream, but it's out of stock now, probably won't be back until summer from next year's harvest.

No bags though, it's all loose tea. Not cheap, but good value for the quality you get.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just to add to this thread, Twinnings is on sale in World Duty Free in T5,.so I would guess in T3 too, albeit at £5 a box. They also sell make your own Breakfast Blend kits at £25, which would be an unusual gift perhaps.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:11 am

Another option - M&S deliver internationally

http://help.marksandspencer.com/supp...ry-prices-time
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:19 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by rareair
If you want a 1000+ catering pack of PG Tips, Typhoo or Yorkshire Tea I'm more than happy to guest you into Costco which is a couple of miles from the Airport!
Also would the CBP dogs have an issue with you importing tea?
I doubt it. I've seen the beagles primarily sniff out fruits, I'm not sure how good they are at other things.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by dave111
Another option - M&S deliver internationally
Not food though. Just clothing and housewares. This is the site it takes you to for international shopping: http://www.marksandspencerlondon.com/ca
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:06 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I would just like to add that this is my favourite thread for a while - there is literally *nothing* c-w-s can't turn into a pictorial guide - bravo!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:07 am

Good for you, OP! A very thoughtful thing to do. And to be honest, a good use of a four hour connection... the lounges aren't *that* good

You might also want to pick up a tin of tea from Harrods, airside. Fairly decent tea and the containers some come in look quite nice.

It's a personal thing but I don't understand why people are saying just get Twinings.

One thing that's occurred to me, that others will know much, much better than me: if transferring airside T5-T3, I'm not sure how easy it is to then get landside once you're in the departures area? It may be easier to get out at T5, check out the different M&S's, then get to T3 to get back airside.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well this was an education. The M&S in T3 is I would guess half the size of the branch in T5, but it has the better selection:

And a close up so you can see the prices
Thanks again for the pics and directions.

I spoke with my mother and she's found an estate Assam tea that she likes and can get in NYC so the hunt for Assam is off. Still searching for the M&S English Breakfast for the wife though.

We just learned that friends will be renting a house in Brighton this May and we're contemplating flying over to join them for a few days which solves the M&S access (though it's quite a lot of flying for tea ).
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:16 pm

http://www.costco.ca/Marks-%2526-Spe....10322475.html

Extortionate price. I think it's £1.89 a box in the UK?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Jagboi
http://www.costco.ca/Marks-%2526-Spe....10322475.html

Extortionate price. I think it's £1.89 a box in the UK?
$9.99 plus $6.99 for US shipping here:
http://www.teadog.com/Marks-Spencer-...ags-p/mseb.htm
Old Feb 20, 2016, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
We just learned that friends will be renting a house in Brighton this May and we're contemplating flying over to join them for a few days which solves the M&S access (though it's quite a lot of flying for tea ).
I did a full day of meetings in Delhi Thursday, then dinner with my work group, then off to DEL for the Friday a.m. flight. For whatever reason(s) I didn't sleep on the flight. Arrived at T5C yesterday. Caught the train to T5 then the bus to T3. I needed to make some changes to my seats so stopped at the AA desk where the nice lady asked if I was OK. I let her know that I hadn't slept in 36 hours and she understood. All-in it took about 90 minutes from arrival to the T3 Galleries lounge where I immediately took a long shower (after seeing myself in the mirror I understood why the AA lady asked...). After that I really wasn't up for doing any more security Kabuki so the tea will simply need to wait. The trip to Brighton is looking more and more plausible...
Old Feb 20, 2016, 11:40 am

Or you could just order it and have it shipped: http://www.britsuperstore.com/uk/cat...ks+and+spencer
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:03 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
LHR connection. M&S Tea purchase options?

Order from teadog like me and another poster suggested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.