Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR connection. M&S Tea purchase options?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by rareair
If you want a 1000+ catering pack of PG Tips, Typhoo or Yorkshire Tea I'm more than happy to guest you into Costco which is a couple of miles from the Airport!
Also would the CBP dogs have an issue with you importing tea?
What are the requirements for importing coffee, tea or spices for personal use?

There are no restrictions on the importation of coffee, tea or spices for personal use, although they may be subject to Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) inspections if a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer suspects contamination or insect infestation of the product. For more information from FDA call 1-888-723-3366. Contact FDA.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:21 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
$10 plus $6.99 shipping+TAX
I'd value all that hassle as not worth it when I could spend less than $20 and get them shipped to my house.

http://www.teadog.com/mobile/Category.aspx?id=395

My relatives use them a lot for other teas as well.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The T5 M&S is somewhat bigger than the T3 M&S, which is in turn bigger than the quite small T2 M&S, though the latter has an instore bakery. That has a rather unfortunate store, placed in a very handy position right next to T2 Domestic Arrivals.....

All 3 sell tea, I know for certain. I think T5 has a slightly bigger range. If there is something specific you are after let me know and I'll check for you later today.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The T5 M&S is somewhat bigger than the T3 M&S, which is in turn bigger than the quite small T2 M&S, though the latter has an instore bakery. That has a rather unfortunate store, placed in a very handy position right next to T2 Domestic Arrivals.....

All 3 sell tea, I know for certain. I think T5 has a slightly bigger range. If there is something specific you are after let me know and I'll check for you later today.
She likes the English Breakfast in bags (not loose). My mother also likes the Assam (loose or in bags, but I'm in India now so I might just get it closer to the source). If I go to the arrivals side it would likely be at T3. Thanks for checking!
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I use the T5 M&S mostly for arrivals as it great to get a few basic supplies in when you arrive. I do like a nice cup of Earl Grey tea and M&S has one of the nicest so I thought I would buy some to take away with me. I was most disappointed to find that they didn't have any so ended up liberating a few twinnings ones from the lounge. The do of course have a range but it is limited. If transferring T5-T3 it is relativeloy easy as M&S is close to arrivals and the lifts for the free HEX transfer to T2/T3.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:54 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
What a lovely husband you are!! I hope that she appreciates what you are prepared to go through for her!

I have a secret - I have discovered the best tea-bag tea that I have ever tasted. It tastes of tea rather than dust. It is easier to obtain than it used to be - indeed prior to visiting Scotland in 2011 I had never heard of it. You will not find it at LHR unfortunately.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I have a secret - I have discovered the best tea-bag tea that I have ever tasted. It tastes of tea rather than dust. It is easier to obtain than it used to be - indeed prior to visiting Scotland in 2011 I had never heard of it. You will not find it at LHR unfortunately.
Scottish Blend?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 5:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

What a lovely husband you are!! I hope that she appreciates what you are prepared to go through for her!

Are you still enjoying your Punjana? I get my stock from Tescos at GLA. I've a brew on the go right now. Fancy a cuppa?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 5:27 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Prospero
Are you still enjoying your Punjana? I get my stock from Tescos at GLA. I've a brew on the go right now. Fancy a cuppa?
Heavens! - the fastest means of communication are Telephone, Telegraph, and TellProsperoanything!

Bless you for remembering that Sweetheart - yes Darling I'll be round soonest - though it is dangerously close to Gin O'Clock!

I bought some at Tesco's at Copdock near Ipswich and once I ordered it on line at the Asda at Hounslow (so convenient to the underground station) as it was on offer.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I hope that she appreciates what you are prepared to go through for her!
She always does!

Sounds interesting...
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well this was an education. The M&S in T3 is I would guess half the size of the branch in T5, but it has the better selection:

And a close up so you can see the prices

Whereas T5 only has one sort (same price), but more coffee options. I could speculate the reason for that is that BA's tea is quite satisfying, whereas their coffee is dire:

In both stores, you will find the tea at the rear of the store on the far left as you enter. For a breakfast blend style, then you probably want the extra strong version, but perhaps brew it for 2 minutes or less rather than 3. M&S do have some reasonably good quality teas (e.g. the City blend) but the range on sale in LHR is quite limited.

I have to say that in my opinion Twinning is the better option, either Breakfast or Everyday, or Fortnum & Mason in T5 (which you won't be able to access). Harrods also has a tea range too in T3 and T5.

If going to T3 landside you need to follow the signs for Arrivals for M&S at T3 - it's a bit of a walk from the tube station, slightly less so on the Heathrow Express, but the tube has more services. Then work your way around to Departures after visiting M&S. If going airside, take the bus to T3, walk past the entrance to Flight Connections, go on a short distance then turn left for the UK Border. Follow that around to landside and M&S is just on your left. I would advocate going airside to T3 given the choice, particularly if your flight from India arrives at T5B, as is often the case, since there is a direct bus from that satellite building to T3.
Jimmie76 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Am I the only one on here finding this thread rather ironic, considering our friends across the pond's traditional treatment of British tea.

BTW if you really want a paper bag full of fannings and dust be my guest, I will happily swap LPGS for some FTGFOP.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Am I the only one on here finding this thread rather ironic, considering our friends across the pond's traditional treatment of British tea.

BTW if you really want a paper bag full of fannings and dust be my guest, I will happily swap LPGS for some FTGFOP.
You have a point. Tea blends bring an all round compromised taste, single estate tea is a deeper experience in a subset of flavours. There's no right or wrong about either, and a place for both. Assam is actually one of the main constituent of Breakfast blends as it happens, and along with Ceylon tea is perhaps easier to assimilate at single estate level. So if you see some Khongea or Kondoli in India then certainly give it a go, but I suspect it won't be found in a teabag handy for the morning cuppa.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You have a point. Tea blends bring an all round compromised taste, single estate tea is a deeper experience in a subset of flavours. There's no right or wrong about either, and a place for both. Assam is actually one of the main constituent of Breakfast blends as it happens, and along with Ceylon tea is perhaps easier to assimilate at single estate level. So if you see some Khongea or Kondoli in India then certainly give it a go, but I suspect it won't be found in a teabag handy for the morning cuppa.
Oh yes I do like my tea, I would like eventually to visit a tea estate. I also suffer from teapot aquisition syndrome.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Oh yes I do like my tea, I would like eventually to visit a tea estate. I also suffer from teapot aquisition syndrome.
Ah, save your pennies for a few nights' stay at Glenburn, which is both a luxury guesthouse, and a working tea estate / tea factory, in Darjeeling, taking the train to get there. One of the highlights of my life. I have relatives in Darjeeling involved in the tea trade at another estate and it's an amazing place. I can't stand Darjeeling tea mind! The estates in Ceylon/Sri Lanka are easier and cheaper to get to, and are more easily combined with other options.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Feb 14, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.