Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Terminal 3...BA know their passengers aren't happy!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terminal 3...BA know their passengers aren't happy!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:22 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by flatlander
In my experience neither T5 nor T3 fast track barriers understand status-based fast track access but only class-of-service access. So I have to present my boarding pass to the person in both terminals. However they usually scan my boarding pass and read the screen and accept me; I have not had to present an FF card for a long time (if ever). This is all true even with Oneworld status from AA (not BA), and the boarding pass does show either "EXECPLAT" / "PRIORITY AACCESS" (AA flights) or has status of "EMERALD/AA/xxxxxxx" (BA flights).
T5 certainly works automatically for BA status holders, so it sounds like the database isn't coded with other FFP details. T3 has never worked (and nor, indeed, does T2 now for *A status holders). I've taken far more Star flights from T3 than oneworld ones, but I was always asked for the card when on Star. I confess I can't actually remember what I had to produce when travelling in Y on UL and BA from T3 this year, but I can perfectly well see there's a good possibility - based on the Star experience - that many of those who undertake the manual check will default to type at times, even if they don't need to.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
I agree. I think T3 is fine. The boarding chaos is not exclusively a T3 problem.
I agree too. I thought the First lounge in T3 was more than adequate although, to be fair, the lounge was sparsely populated so maybe that helped? I found the staff to be helpful. The range of wines could have been better. The ice-cream was delicious. The 'free' 15-minute spa treatment was average. No problems with boarding. Would still have preferred T5 though!
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I haven't flow BA out of T3 in years - probably not since they opened T5 I reckon. Only EK, which was a trip with a nipper, in Y, with paid lounge access courtesy of my wife. So I'd actually be keen to do a longhaul sector out of there just to see it.

I guess BA have proactively sent these communications on the assumption that people just generally wouldn't prefer to fly out of T3 when there's a newer terminal with blingier shops and lounges over at T5. And for those with BA>>BA connections I guess it's more of a pain also. Hence maybe the choice of more touristy destinations rather than opting for eg ORD or similar. Just a guess.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe
I haven't flow BA out of T3 in years - probably not since they opened T5 I reckon. Only EK, which was a trip with a nipper, in Y, with paid lounge access courtesy of my wife. So I'd actually be keen to do a longhaul sector out of there just to see it.

I guess BA have proactively sent these communications on the assumption that people just generally wouldn't prefer to fly out of T3 when there's a newer terminal with blingier shops and lounges over at T5. And for those with BA>>BA connections I guess it's more of a pain also. Hence maybe the choice of more touristy destinations rather than opting for eg ORD or similar. Just a guess.
The curveball here is the CX and QF lounges in T3. I'd rather the CX F lounge in t3 than the GF lounge in t5 anyday, even if that means no First Wing etc (which is actually coming to t3 soon)
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
The curveball here is the CX and QF lounges in T3. I'd rather the CX F lounge in t3 than the GF lounge in t5 anyday, even if that means no First Wing etc (which is actually coming to t3 soon)
Which have opened in the two years that have passed before this thread was resurrected
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by cowleasow
I agree too. I thought the First lounge in T3 was more than adequate although, to be fair, the lounge was sparsely populated so maybe that helped? I found the staff to be helpful. The range of wines could have been better. The ice-cream was delicious. The 'free' 15-minute spa treatment was average. No problems with boarding. Would still have preferred T5 though!
Could be that things have changed in the 2 years since the post you are responding to....
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:36 am

Could be that things haven't changed(?) - that the First lounge was fine then and fine when I visited!
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
..........(which is actually coming to t3 soon)
Ibe missed this piece of news, what are the plans?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:16 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Row9
Ibe missed this piece of news, what are the plans?
It will be a joint BA First and AA Flagship Wing, mid 2019. I think I saw somewhere that Flounge T3 is getting an equipment refresh too.
Row9 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It will be a joint BA First and AA Flagship Wing, mid 2019. I think I saw somewhere that Flounge T3 is getting an equipment refresh too.
According to a member of cabin crew on a recent trip. BA's long term vision is to move all operations to T5 and especially create a new lounge in T5C.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:34 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by icegirl
According to a member of cabin crew on a recent trip. BA's long term vision is to move all operations to T5 and especially create a new lounge in T5C.
compeletly impossible unless there is a reduction in BA flights or T5 is expanded. The reason BA flights are spread across two terminal is that T5 isnt big enough, it isnt done by choice.
icegirl likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by KARFA

compeletly impossible unless there is a reduction in BA flights or T5 is expanded. The reason BA flights are spread across two terminal is that T5 isnt big enough, it isnt done by choice.
big reduction in flights at Heathrow on 30th March next year apparently

On a more/less serious note, are there any plans to connect T3 and T5 via an airside people mover or similar? Had a vague recollection of that being bounced around (on here) at one stage.

(Would be a big help when Crossrail has the annoying habit of not reaching T5 with all their trains)
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle

big reduction in flights at Heathrow on 30th March next year apparently

On a more/less serious note, are there any plans to connect T3 and T5 via an airside people mover or similar? Had a vague recollection of that being bounced around (on here) at one stage.

(Would be a big help when Crossrail has the annoying habit of not reaching T5 with all their trains)
There is or was a "toast rack" plan which involves the demolition of terminal 3 and the creation of T5D and T5E. Meanwhile T2 expands to create T2C and T2D. The transit from T5 will be expanded to reach T2 and both terminals are connected airside. It was never clear to me how T5A and T2 would handle the check in and arrivals from so many additional people.

It's been in the plans since 2007 and T5's transit tunnels were built with the expansion in mind.

But I think it's just a dream really.

Have Heathrow given up on the 'toast rack'?
https://your.heathrow.com/imap/pages...ack/index.html
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Unless in F- and thus eligible for the CCR- I prefer T3.
Likewise, because:
- CX lounge for relevant status holders/cabin passengers - equal best lounge in London.
- Fast Track is typically faster than T5 (if Silver/Club).
- No satellite terminals to worry about.

I do agree that boarding is almost hilarious (slash frustrating) because the terminal's boarding areas can't take it. I think the worst I've experienced, however, is the A350 to HEL. It's hellish because the boarding area is simply not designed for such passenger numbers, which sees everyone get in the way of surrounding boarding gates. It's a problem.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle

Crossrail will serve T5. 2 trains an hour from December 2019

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.