Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Have Heathrow given up on the 'toast rack'?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)

I got an email from Heathrow today about the government consultation.

There's a picture attached to the message which seems to show a different layout to the terminals.

Gone is the 'toast rack'. It looks like the satellites are in an H formation.

Is this the current plan or has the marketing team just used an image from a long discarded idea?

Old May 18, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
It's still a bit 'toast rack', albeit with the 'H' connecting concourses (more shops?).

Call it 'artistic licence' ... there will be decades of planning amendments before it ever becomes reality!
Old May 18, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
I was interested by that picture in the email too. It looks like there are only 3 terminals: T2 and T3 combined, T4 and T5. Looks like the others are just satellites...

Was that in a plan somewhere?
Old May 18, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Deltus
I was interested by that picture in the email too. It looks like there are only 3 terminals: T2 and T3 combined, T4 and T5. Looks like the others are just satellites...

Was that in a plan somewhere?
Plus the terminal (pier?) to the left next to the 3rd runway
Old May 18, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
And T5 has eaten the Sofitel and has gates on all sides...
Old May 18, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by shefgab
Plus the terminal (pier?) to the left next to the 3rd runway
That looks too small to be a terminal though - I assumed that would have been on a shuttle from T5.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by boutela
And T5 has eaten the Sofitel and has gates on all sides...
An idealised work of fiction. I suspect LGW looked quite neat and tidy in architect's soft-focus paintings too
Old May 18, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
It's just marketing. Connecting T5B and T5C in that manner would either mean losing gate space/operational flexibility or building huge bridges with no discernible benefit other than additional retail space (at enormous cost).

T5 will be expanded West when R3 comes, to serve the north satellite. In between will be a new transport hub. This is provisionally titled Heathrow West.

An expanded T2 and a western satellite becomes Heathrow East and involves the demolition of T3, but that is post R3.

T4 comes and goes, it will probably go eventually.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
It's just marketing. Connecting T5B and T5C in that manner would either mean losing gate space/operational flexibility
Seems indeed silly when you have an underground TTS. I did notice that T5B and T5C seem to be extended towards the taxiways. That would mean that the awfully long fingers would be gone.

Originally Posted by Deltus
T3 is scheduled to close in 2019 and be demolished thereafter which would allow T2 to significantly expand. Ideally speaking it would be perfect to extend the T5 TTS all the way to T2.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Probably best not to think too hard about what might happen. The 'plan' changes quite often.

Mini-Hs, micro-Hs, toast racks, bananas, you name it, I've assessed it!

I would put too much faith in previously announced schedules either (I.e. demolishing T3 etc.).

Things will happen when they happen.^
Old May 18, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
I would put too much faith in previously announced schedules either (I.e. demolishing T3 etc.).
The T3 demolition is IMO among the more reliable annoucements. I have my reservations on the schedule, but I expect that it will eventually be demolished and make room for a more efficient structure. It's just a question of "when".

Probably before they open BER
Old May 18, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by WorldLux
T3 is scheduled to close in 2019 and be demolished thereafter which would allow T2 to significantly expand. Ideally speaking it would be perfect to extend the T5 TTS all the way to T2.
T3 is not scheduled for demolition in 2019. There is a new flight connections centre to be opened next year and other plans on the way to extend the life of the building. Heathrow has in past few years also spent millions on a new baggage system, upgrading some gate areas, etc.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: Yes
I was surprised to read that T3 was supposedly getting demolished in 2019 - they could start by demolishing T1, because I hear that's a bit empty now!

Might this be based on Wikipedia's article on T3 which also states demolition in 2019, and in turn cites this ITV news article as a source for it having been "announced" - http://www.itv.com/news/london/2015-...re-next-month/

The T2 opening is part of an Ł11 billion redevelopment of Heathrow which will see T2 double in size by 2019, at which point T3 will close and, like T1, will be demolished.
I think someone got a bit carried away with the timelines in that article...
Old May 18, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by WorldLux

If they were going to close T3 in 2019 Heathrow would have had to have already started building the replacement infrastructure, which they haven't, so its years away.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:15 pm

As I have said in several other threads, T3 is NOT going to close - and is certainly not going to be demolished - in 2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.