Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Way to Complain as a GGL?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
You must have a very magnetic personality. I have shaken hands with cabin crew, which I don't mind. There was the odd safety related touching on my arm when I was asleep to make sure seat belts were on, again, seems appropriate. Nothing more, and I hope it stays that way.
I always feel that I smile too much, that might be my loss!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I have been touched quite often on AA [less so on BA].
Perhaps they're just checking that I'm still alive?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:56 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Talking

Originally Posted by T8191
I have been touched quite often on AA [less so on BA].
Perhaps they're just checking that I'm still alive?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Wow, went into meetings and come out to a multi-page thread. Can't respond to all the comments individually but in response to a few common points:

(1) My reaction is not based on my status, or being newly minted in that status (though for the record, there was no GGL greeting, etc.). My reaction is however based on an enormous amount of travel experiences across many airlines and is within the context of understanding FAs have tough jobs and can't be perfect 100% of the time.

(2) I have no problem with crew members touching arms, etc. I've been hugged by AA crew members. But physical contact should be limited friendly/positive interactions. Physical contact in connection with a condescending statement is inappropriate and offensive. I don't think I'm alone in seeing a big distinction here.

(3) I do not expect radical action based on this. But as several posters pointed out, if this is a pattern of behavior by a crew member, then additional complaints may warrant further scrutiny and potential action (in which case it would seem appropriate).

(4) This is a problem of BA's making. The crunch of seats on short haul, the proliferation of HBO fares, combined with the (wholly appropriate IMHO) baggage allowance has made the situation tense and untenable. It doesn't excuse crew members being condescending in such a situation (you would never have that on QR or SQ) but the causes are quite clear.

Last edited by sts603; Feb 1, 2016 at 1:39 pm
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Phew ... glad that's all cleared up. I can put the popcorn away.

sts603, do please let us know the BA/GGL response. Your feedback is important to us.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by sts603
Wow, went into meetings and come out to a multi-page thread. Can't respond to all the comments individually but in response to a few common points:

(1) My reaction is not based on my status, or being newly minted in that status (though for the record, there was no GGL greeting, etc.). My reaction is however based on an enormous amount of travel experiences across many airlines and is within the context of understanding FAs have tough jobs and can't be perfect 100% of the time.

(2) I have no problem with crew members touching arms, etc. I've been hugged by AA crew members. But physical contact should be limited friendly/positive interactions. Physical contact in connection with a condescending statement is inappropriate and offensive. I don't think I'm alone in seeing a big distinction here.

(3) I do not expect radical action based on this. But as several posters pointed out, if this is a pattern of behavior by a crew member, then additional complaints may warrant further scrutiny and potential action (in which case it would seem appropriate
(4) This is a problem of BA's making. The crunch of seats on short haul, the proliferation of HBO fares, combined with the (wholly appropriate IMHO) baggage allowance has made the situation tense and untenable. It doesn't excuse crew members being condescending in such a situation (you would never have that on QR or SQ) but the causes are quite clear.
I am pleased that you came back the thread sts603 and as the only BA senior crewmember to give their opinion I would suggest you contact BA with the name of the crewmember and ask that they be spoken too. I personally don't think that the comment made was acceptable, only you knows what was said and how it made you feel.
Hopefully this crewmember hasn't acted this way before and a gentle reminder is all that is needed.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just what did you have up there? You mention carry-ons, purses and coats. Judging by previous posts you're not a fan of co-operating with anyone when it comes to cabin baggage.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Just what did you have up there? You mention carry-ons, purses and coats. Judging by previous posts you're not a fan of co-operating with anyone when it comes to cabin baggage.
A tumi computer bag, two handbags belonging to my wife, and one tiny duty free shopping bag with two small boxes of Swiss chocolate. All placed vertically with two ski coats entirely on top.

My lack of cooperation with the yellow tags is irrelevant in this case given our position in the exit row.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Are you always this rude to anyone who has the misfortune to have a bad BA experience?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation
Are you always this rude to anyone who has the misfortune to have a bad BA experience?
Might be a good programme for BBC4. Hiddy's War. The story of an online detective who seeks clues as to why it is usually the customer's fault.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:51 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

With a warm Spring and a hot Summer forecast for the UK this year, coats will no longer be required thereby creating more space again in the overheads and issues like this will disappear until next Winter
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: Gold Mega Legend
You didn't have to suffer the ignominy of putting your bag under the seat did you?

Yellow tag for all carry-on?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by revan
You didn't have to suffer the ignominy of putting your bag under the seat did you?

Yellow tag for all carry-on?
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about those comments. OP perhaps your attitude led to the problem not the flight attendant's?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

This is irrelevant. My attitude to the FA was polite, calm, and even keel.

We were in an exit row so no chance of putting anything under. And the one yellow tag that was put on by a gatekeeper at check in was ripped off and handed to the check in agent to throw away (who laughed when we called out that we were in an exit row and couldn't, like the picture, put it under the seat).
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by hugolover
He was probably just a little bit camp, thats all!
That was my conclusion too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.