Best Way to Complain as a GGL?

Old Feb 1, 16, 5:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Best Way to Complain as a GGL?

Had a condescending •••• of a FA on a flight back to London this morning and want to file a complaint. in this case not interested in compensation but more interested in having it go to his file and be reviewed with him by his supervisor, etc. But it brought me to a broader question as a newly minted GGL - should I still file complaints through the website or is it better to e-mail the GGL staff?

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 1, 16 at 1:49 pm Reason: Rule 16 re use of vulgarities
Old Feb 1, 16, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
In theory you could do either, but in this specific case I would definitely use the webform.

What you are asking is not something GGL would deal with directly, so they would simply pass it on to the relevant services. Moreover, I would only email GGL for anything 1) urgent and 2) that the GGL team would handle directly (e.g. an issue with a current booking be it cash or avios, etc), which is not the case here.

The webform does not have GGL as an option for status but just pick "gold" and it will be passed on to the relevant team fast and to someone who will keep a special eye on a complaint issued by a GGL customer.

Finally, one final word. I understand you not wanting compensation but I would refrain from mentioning what you "want" to happen with the complaint. That is ultimately for BA to decide. Just explain that you do not want compensation but found the FA's attitude reflected poorly on BA's image for this and that reason being as precise and dispassionate as possible (things like: "s/he had a really unpleasant tone" is typically not going to carry much weight). You are providing BA with important information but they will deal with it in any way they see fit and also do not expect to hear anything back about it afterwards because you won't and whether the employee in question faces any trouble is not going to be mentioned to you (or any other passenger) in any shape or form which is also happens to be the right way to handle things IMHO.
Old Feb 1, 16, 5:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by sts603 View Post
Had a condescending ••••• of a FA on a flight back to London this morning and want to file a complaint. in this case not interested in compensation but more interested in having it go to his file and be reviewed with him by his supervisor, etc. But it brought me to a broader question as a newly minted GGL - should I still file complaints through the website or is it better to e-mail the GGL staff?
Complain through the usual channels, i.e. webform.

Care to share the problem with us?

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 1, 16 at 1:50 pm Reason: amend quotation
Old Feb 1, 16, 6:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Thanks for the responses and noted on all of the above.

Issue is relatively straightforward and minor. My wife and I were in the exit row (A319), boarder first, put our carry-on's above. Not surprising, as someone who flies enough to qualify as a GGL, I'm really good at efficiently packing an overhead bin. I did just that. All bags were vertical. Coats were placed entirely on top, etc. You couldn't have done better.

It was a full flight. There were storage issues. FA came by and just started grabbing our coats and shoving them back on top of other people's bags. I politely said, "I would prefer if you could leave our coats on top of our bags." In the most condescending Kindergarten teacher voice (while placing his hand on my shoulder), he says "we don't always get what we prefer. We need to make room for other people." Of course, once he realized how well it was all packed, he put it all back to the way it was. But no apology or anything.
Old Feb 1, 16, 6:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Unless I've missed something, a total non event. It's shared space, the crew were doing the best they could.
Old Feb 1, 16, 6:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Unless I've missed something, a total non event. It's shared space, the crew were doing the best they could.
When I have done everything to do the best I can, I don't appreciate being spoken to in such a manner, especially while being touched. This is a training issue, crew should never be speaking to passengers in such a manner. I realize if provoked, some might slip up. But never from the outset.
Old Feb 1, 16, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
If the OP's version is correct (and there is no reason to believe that it isn't), then it is an event.

Absolutely no need to talk to a paying customer in that manner or tone.
Old Feb 1, 16, 6:11 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
+1. I doubt your complaint will get much attention. Fitting cabin luggage on a full flight often amounts to playing it by ear and coats are certainly not a priority item for overhead bins. They tried to improve on your method, realised that they could not, went back to your original plan, case closed.
Old Feb 1, 16, 6:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yeah, I suppose it could have been handled better, hopefully you were smiling politely at the cabin crew, and the cabin crew should have reciprocated with a smile back.

But honestly, this is really extremely trivial, at least to my mind. I certainly wouldn't have the temerity to send in a complaint about it.

Leave it 24 hours, and see how you feel then. If it still rankles, then by all means send something in, but it would be a waste of time, since the cabin crew member will doubtless say - if they remember the incident which is unlikely - "yes but I was totally polite and professional in my dealings".
Old Feb 1, 16, 6:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
+1. I doubt your complaint will get much attention. Fitting cabin luggage on a full flight often amounts to playing it by ear and coats are certainly not a priority item for overhead bins. They tried to improve on your method, realised that they could not, went back to your original plan, case closed.
And that would be fine. My issue is with how I was spoken too and that it included inappropriate physical contact, not with their actions (though, IMHO, cabin crew should be trained to inform passengers if possible before/while items are moved - especially when we are talking about purses and coats - not rollaboards).
Old Feb 1, 16, 7:06 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
I would say if someone of cws' experience is suggesting you re-consider whether this is really worth a complaint about an individual member of CC, then that's something you should take on board.

In the situation you describe, I would simply have been proactive, engaged with the crew, and asked if they felt there was anything I could do to help. If the crew felt you were being accommodating, they would probably also realise pretty quickly that there was no point in continuing to rearrange your things. It doesn't sound like that happened at all.

As to the 'inappropriate' physical contact - sorry, but really? You are effectively asking BA to decide if a member of CC assaulted you if it actually reached a level where you'd describe it as that, and I'm sure that's not the case here - particularly as you describe the whole thing as 'minor'.

Of course it's your choice, but a lot of very eminent and sensible people are advising you not to follow-through with this. In my own very less eminent way, I can only but agree.
Old Feb 1, 16, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by sts603 View Post
Had a condescending ••••• of a FA on a flight back to London this morning and want to file a complaint.
I get the feeling you'll be wasting your time.

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 1, 16 at 1:51 pm Reason: amend quotation
Old Feb 1, 16, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Personally I don't think it would do any harm for his manager to remind him about his attitude, it won't go any further than that unless he has previous history.
Old Feb 1, 16, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer View Post

As to the 'inappropriate' physical contact - sorry, but really? You are effectively asking BA to decide if a member of CC assaulted you if it actually reached a level where you'd describe it as that, and I'm sure that's not the case here - particularly as you describe the whole thing as 'minor'.
To be honest I also feel that referring to a hand on a shoulder as 'inappropriate' physical contact frankly quite radical. I have, unfortunately, had to help people who have been the victims of inappropriate physical contact and trust, a hand on a shoulder is sadly nowhere near what happened to them.
Old Feb 1, 16, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Whilst a hand on the shoulder in isolation would be difficult to deem as inappropriate, it is when it is in the context of the tone of voice where it becomes inappropriate.

It smacks of being spoken to like a child.

Search this Thread