Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IT outsourcing prediction

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Cruz said that the "backup system had not worked properly". To make sure things work properly and are thoroughly tested, you need people on the ground at those facilities, not Indians thousands of miles away.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by icegirl
Is the Datacentre 3rd party? A Google search in Boadicea House, bought up another company being based there called Synstar Computer Services UK Ltd. Which intern is a company registered in Bracknell at Hewlett Packard.
synstar used to be known as granada. They provide hardware break fix services that were traditionally supplied by hardware vendors. Boho as it is known was not operated by a 3rd party
Old May 29, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by techie
Cruz said that the "backup system had not worked properly". To make sure things work properly and are thoroughly tested, you need people on the ground at those facilities, not Indians thousands of miles away.
There will be people at those facilities.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Banana4321
The guys in India are as good as you can get here. And over the decade or so I have worked with various companies there, they have vastly improved and continue to do so.
I used to work at BA in the IT department and I'm afraid I have to disagree with your assessment of their abilities. It's true that the outsourcing companies do have a few able staff, but the vast majority of the staff on the BA contract seem to have had the absolute minimum of training....
Old May 29, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Banana4321
There will be people at those facilities.
I'm sure there will be, but the fewer skilled people there are at those facilities the greater the risk should the proverbial hit the fan.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exBAit
I used to work at BA in the IT department and I'm afraid I have to disagree with your assessment of their abilities. It's true that the outsourcing companies do have a few able staff, but the vast majority of the staff on the BA contract seem to have had the absolute minimum of training....
and any which are half decent get moved on to the next new contract or H1B'd
Old May 29, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: BA, EK, Hilton H, Starwood, A-Club
I worked for a large Japanese Electronics company that outsourced IT to TCS. Within the first weeks of live management from Chennai they'd managed to delete the Network Login accounts for most of the senior people in Europe, and than when they'd restored the accounts managed to not tie them up to email accounts. When I highlighted this would be the first of many issues with the competency of the staff in India I was told that I wasn't
being positive etc. Luckily I got a nice payoff into early retirement. ^
Old May 29, 2017, 7:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by exBAit
Just to welcome you to Flyertalk exBAit and to the BA Forum. It's good to have someone of your background here and I'm sure you can add valuable perspective to the current problems, and doubtless any future ones too. Welcome on board, I hope we see plenty more of you here.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
Originally Posted by Bluecardholder
I worked for a large Japanese Electronics company that outsourced IT to TCS. Within the first weeks of live management from Chennai they'd managed to delete the Network Login accounts for most of the senior people in Europe, and than when they'd restored the accounts managed to not tie them up to email accounts. When I highlighted this would be the first of many issues with the competency of the staff in India I was told that I wasn't
being positive etc. Luckily I got a nice payoff into early retirement. ^

This resembles my experiences with them, in a different industry (financial services). However, in the end of the day, as I remind people, you can outsource specific tasks, but you can't outsource responsibility. BA is responsible for the overall integrity of their service. As mentioned above, it seems like a combination of a power outage (not uncommon), followed by human error in bringing the system back up, possibly compounded human error.

Most large organisations that run well have a handful of very experienced people who know how to manage difficult problems without panicking, and this small group is responsible for what looks like a well oiled machine. I hope BA hasn't removed these key people.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
You certainly can't offshore responsibility. My experience with offshore IT echoes no many on here. Completely reactive and simply following instructions that they would follow even if it ended the world.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
You certainly can't offshore responsibility. My experience with offshore IT echoes no many on here. Completely reactive and simply following instructions that they would follow even if it ended the world.
You also can't effectively offshore judgement which may be needed to override the "script" being followed. When judgement is required offshored Ops fall apart.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Does anyone with any knowledge of how the BA set up workd want to comment on this

Originally Posted by The Register

From the IT rumour mill

Allegedly, the staff at the Indian data centre were told to apply some security fixes to the computers in the data centre. The BA IT systems have two, parallel systems to cope with updates. What was supposed to happen was that they apply the fixes to the computers of the secondary system, and when all is working, apply to the computers of the primary system. In this way, the programs all keep running without any interruption.

What they actually did was apply the patches to _all_ the computers. Then they shutdown and restarted the entire data centre. Unfortunately, computers in these data centres are used to being up and running for lengthy periods of time. That means, when you restart them, components like memory chips and network cards fail. Compounding this, if you start all the systems at once, the power drain is immense and you may end up with not enough power going to the computers - this can also cause components to fail. It takes quite a long time to identify all the hardware that failed and replace it.

So the claim that it was caused by "power supply issues" is not untrue. Bluntly - some idiot shut down the power.

Would this have happened if outsourcing had not be done? Probably not, because prior to outsourcing you had BA employees who were experienced in maintaining BA computer systems, and know without thinking what the proper procedures are. To the offshore staff, there is no context, they've no idea what they're dealing with - it's just a bunch of computers that need to be patched. Job done, get bonus for doing it quickly, move on.
https://forums.theregister.co.uk/for...aining/3191302
Old May 29, 2017, 9:28 am

That means, when you restart them, components like memory chips and network cards fail.
It sounds like it might have been written by my gran.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Paralytic
It sounds like it might have been written by my gran.
Whilst I agree Does the substance of what is alleged to have actually happened sound likely? i.e. doing patches on both data centres, not just one?
Old May 29, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Egoldstein
This resembles my experiences with them, in a different industry (financial services). However, in the end of the day, as I remind people, you can outsource specific tasks, but you can't outsource responsibility. BA is responsible for the overall integrity of their service. As mentioned above, it seems like a combination of a power outage (not uncommon), followed by human error in bringing the system back up, possibly compounded human error.

Most large organisations that run well have a handful of very experienced people who know how to manage difficult problems without panicking, and this small group is responsible for what looks like a well oiled machine. I hope BA hasn't removed these key people.
Spot on. To me this whole outage strikes me as possibly having two key causes:

1 - The design of the failover / backup etc was wrong in the first place. Key to any outsourcing is having the right people to review any designs / changes etc - i.e. the key people above.

2 - More likely - the failover plan has never been tested and when you test it, you find out the flaws in the plan. Once again this is down to poor management and not the outsourcing, as the management must of made this decision.

Don't get me wrong, the outage would probably of been shorter if there were a bunch of people on site. However to blame them for something which clearly hasn't worked, which would of been implemented many years before they put it in, is not the correct answer.

I know of another large organisation which globally switches it's systems from one data centre to the other, once a year, to make sure that it works. Most of their support is done from India, but they know that if it goes bang in one data centre, then they've a tried and tested method of switching to the other. Key to it working is that all of the key decisions, both management and design, are done by experienced UK people and not the cheapest resource available.

T

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.