Wiki Posts
Search

IT outsourcing prediction

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
IT outsourcing prediction

Hi all, I'm just putting this link up here so that when British airways has an IT disaster similar to RBS etc, I can refer back to it.

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/4...rcing-concerns

Last edited by capin; Jan 18, 2016 at 9:34 am
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
I wouldn't be one to defend BA's current IT much (though have been impressed by some of the mobile app developments), but find "security" concerns cited by a trade union to be somewhat lacking in credibility
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by capin
Hi all, I'm just putting this link up here so that when British airways has an IT disaster similar to RBS etc, I can refer back to it.
BA IT is already a disaster. Who knows, this move could actually improve the current situation.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
To be fair the government has much experiance in sending IT projects to India.

Can't believe that BA that BA have 900 IT staff though
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Worcester
To be fair the government has much experiance in sending IT projects to India.

Can't believe that BA that BA have 900 IT staff though
It might be a liberal interpretation of the numbers. Article implied (or I inferred) that within the roles were things like producing passenger manifests for US authorities to cross-check, which didn't sound like much of a maintenance or development role.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Worcester

Can't believe that BA have 900 IT staff though
Why not? Seems a relatively normal number for a large internationally operating logistics cooperation.

The IT part you guys are seeing is maybe 5% of what is running.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
I wouldn't be one to defend BA's current IT much (though have been impressed by some of the mobile app developments), but find "security" concerns cited by a trade union to be somewhat lacking in credibility
The security concerns which I have heard of normally relate to the perceived lack of data protection in India.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by capin
The security concerns which I have heard of normally relate to the perceived lack of data protection in India.
If you outsource to exEU you need to guarantee that EU Data Protection laws are enforced etc. You can't simply move everything to somewhere else.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henkybaby
If you outsource to exEU you need to guarantee that EU Data Protection laws are enforced etc. You can't simply move everything to somewhere else.
I'm a storage systems engineer with one of the biggest tech companies in the world and I have spent a lot of time working out in India. I definitely would not like nor trust any of my personal information to be stored out there. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have much choice.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:20 am

BA IT has always been rubbish as long as I can remember it. Outsourcing rubbish IT to India will probably not end well but hey the cost reductions will enable bigger senior management bonuses to be paid.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by rossmacd
BA IT is already a disaster. Who knows, this move could actually improve the current situation.
Out of interest, what part(s) are you referring to as a disaster?

If you're thinking of ba.com, well, okay - but ba.com sits under the Commercial directorate, and while ba.com people work with IT people, the IT directorate doesn't own ba.com (and ba.com isn't the part being outsourced).
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Isn't a lot of the IT outsourced already?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Isn't a lot of the IT outsourced already?
As far as I know, A lot of the development was outsourced around 2003.

What's frightening about this tranche is that they are going for the infrastructure - Servers, storage, networks and operations. Makes a balls up in this area and is is very easy to ground the airline.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there's a penny to be saved BA will do it.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by JAXBA

Out of interest, what part(s) are you referring to as a disaster?
Anything customer facing, to be honest:
  • BA.com in general
  • Inability to ever upgrade using Avios online, even when there is availability and your booking is a simple return
  • Endless "systems errors" when searching for Avios seats
  • Woeful multi-city booking tool - hint: check AA.com!
  • Unecesary additions, such as "your profile is 95% complete" - thanks, but I would rather your booking systems be better
  • Every change in MMB requires a call to your local service centre
  • The inability for BA to prorgramme lounge access rules into scanners - Domestic to CE Avios booking denied entry
  • Every so often MMB loses all your bookings
  • The number of ineligible flights, especially UUAs

I can't think of any more right now, but there are more!

On the other hand, I find the BA iPhone App truly excellent ^ (probably best in class). So there is hope!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.