Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:55 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Fitch
I seem to have been definitively one-upped
It wasn't meant that way, #Fitch. I'm sorry if it came across that way. BA do recognise their high-value passengers. I think some here confuse 'status' with high-value, that's obviously not the case.

If you think about it, there are Golds/GGLs who have achieved status by flying predominantly AA/QR on very cheap, mega-sector itineraries, often only flying on BA on the lowest economy fares. BA obviously know who these members are. It is therefore no surprise that 'recognition' (save for status benefits) is not always given - 'thank you for flying BA, we really value and appreciate all your business' - what business? In some instances the Blue member sitting in the next seat connecting on to JFK and travelling on a D class ticket might have a higher value to BA than the Gold.

So yes, BA do recognise their high-value customers, but it's not always by an onboard greeting.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Ha ha, no offence taken, the fault lies in my sloppy drafting.

If for "high-value" one substitutes "high-tier" then ceteris paribus I think we are probably approaching consensus ad idem 😁
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Fitch
If for "high-value" one substitutes "high-tier" then ceteris paribus I think we are probably approaching consensus ad idem 😁
And for those not well versed in latin "then all other things being equal I think we are probably approaching a meeting of the minds".
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I'm sure you're right. We see from FT that quite a number earn their status (Gold/GGL) by embarking on a couple of epic TP runs, often on convoluted itineraries with carriers other than BA. Those who attain status that way are hardly 'high value' customers. BA know who their high value customers are, they know their travel patterns and they are recognised accordingly.
I think there's truth here. I'm somewhere in the middle. I buy a few "normal" ex-LHR J tickets and a few ex-EU on BA each year, but nothing overly convoluted. I also fly a lot on QR and AA. My experiences would indicate my "recognition" also falls between the two camps being discussed here as well.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I assume recognition greetings are in the whole prompted via the iPad.

So I wonder if it's as simple as "High-value customer, please give personal welcome" or left to the discretion of the crew to judge by CIV or whatever.

Certainly after I first made Gold I did get a scripted welcome a few times, even though at that point most of my TPs were from AA tickets...I then made GGL and at least half of the TPs came from BA flights but not a word from any crew member on any BA service for months...

OWE on the other hand pretty consistently gets me a greeting on AA, CX, MH etc.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:45 am

Some CSM/Ds will greet you routinely as a GGL, others don't bother (or don't have time) unless they are asked to pass on A particular message via the iPad.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:31 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I wasn't actually talking about onboard greetings when I said "recognition" - I don't care one way or the other about that. I meant more "stuff they'll do for you" - from upgrades to randomly having a bottle of champagne dropped on your tray in Y, to the call centre agents bending rules to do you a favour.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I wasn't actually talking about onboard greetings when I said "recognition" - I don't care one way or the other about that. I meant more "stuff they'll do for you" - from upgrades to randomly having a bottle of champagne dropped on your tray in Y, to the call centre agents bending rules to do you a favour.
Well - even when they do it occasionally now - you can forget any bending of the rules once the call centres are outsourced to Capita.

The agents will have their processes - if they deviate from those BA might be able to claim against the contract - so they'll stick to them like glue. Any deviations will probably have to be BA approved which probably means codified into their processes.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:24 am

Given that the GGL line and the jokers are the two things I value most about GGL; if the GGL line gets "enhanced" in the call centre outsourcing then I doubt I'll be too fussed about continuing to make sure 3k-5k TPs make their way to BA.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Given that the GGL line and the jokers are the two things I value most about GGL; if the GGL line gets "enhanced" in the call centre outsourcing then I doubt I'll be too fussed about continuing to make sure 3k-5k TPs make their way to BA.
The GGL line will remain. It is also very likely that should outsourcing occur as rumored, the current team will be TUPEd across.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite
Apologies if this is already covered in the thread- I may have missed it...

I recently made a conscious decision to move some flying to other carriers, and as a result I earned 2900 TPs last year and missed re-qualifying for GGL. So my question is this- if I want to get back to GGL do I need to earn 3000 TP, or am I back to having to earn 5000 TP?

[ BTW- I have no regrets about the decision to fly other carriers, and whilst I will miss the jokers and GGL phone line, I am sure I'll survive ;-) ]
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OnslowSW7
Apologies if this is already covered in the thread- I may have missed it...

I recently made a conscious decision to move some flying to other carriers, and as a result I earned 2900 TPs last year and missed re-qualifying for GGL. So my question is this- if I want to get back to GGL do I need to earn 3000 TP, or am I back to having to earn 5000 TP?

[ BTW- I have no regrets about the decision to fly other carriers, and whilst I will miss the jokers and GGL phone line, I am sure I'll survive ;-) ]
You will need 5000 TP.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite
Originally Posted by KARFA
You will need 5000 TP.
Thanks Karfa...
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by OnslowSW7
That's a real shame for the sake of a measly 100 points. I think even the most TPrun-averse amongst us would have found a way to sneak in another 100.

Last edited by golfmad; Jun 22, 2017 at 8:28 am
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
That's a real shame for the sake of a measly 100 points. I think even the most TPrun-averse amongst us would have found a way to sneak in another 100.
Quite, one indirect flight with a quick connection might have been enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.