Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Well done dylanks. I'm sure this guide will be a very useful reference point for FT members, present and future.

It's such a pity when someone's hard work is met with negativity, quite unnecessarily so. When I'm in that position, I always think of that lovely line from Toy Story, where Buzz Lightyear says to Woody, 'You are a sad, strange little man and you have my pity'. That always brightens up my day
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Enjoyable read. Appreciate the effort made to produce the guide.

Just one pedantic correction. In the following sentence, "To the disappointment of corporate-wage-slave, there are no further benefits about 9,000 TP other than reaching lifetime GGL more expediently." 'about' should be 'above'.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
Enjoyable read. Appreciate the effort made to produce the guide.

Just one pedantic correction. In the following sentence, "To the disappointment of corporate-wage-slave, there are no further benefits about 9,000 TP other than reaching lifetime GGL more expediently." 'about' should be 'above'.
Noted that too but cut him some slack due to the time and effort he put into the guide your efforts are appreciated ^
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Thanks for the feedback! I've made a few of the easier fixes, have a few more to make when I'm not on my mobile!
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Great work dylanks! ^

My only reservation would be on how to reach when you give the examples. First you mention LHR-JFK but not the class of travel this has to be in! One could be misled. Second, I think that the shortcut to the mileage system makes no sense really, why not just say "typically 18 long haul business class returns", because with your example, one could logically expect that they would need to do twice fewer LHR-HKG J trips or twice more LHR-TLV trips, both of which would be completely wrong.

Also, I never received a phone call when I made GGL, neither did my partner - are you sure that this is standard.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Great work dylanks! ^

My only reservation would be on how to reach when you give the examples. First you mention LHR-JFK but not the class of travel this has to be in! One could be misled. Second, I think that the shortcut to the mileage system makes no sense really, why not just say "typically 18 long haul business class returns", because with your example, one could logically expect that they would need to do twice fewer LHR-HKG J trips or twice more LHR-TLV trips, both of which would be completely wrong.

Also, I never received a phone call when I made GGL, neither did my partner - are you sure that this is standard.
I'll try to make it clearer when I get a chance. Regarding the call, I don't know yet! I've had 5 yays and 3 nays so far...
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Joining the crowd to give creds to dylanks for the effort to sum up the BAEC GGL "level".

I also never recieved a phone call on qualification - maybe it's just the US members that recieve the middle-of-night-call?

A question :

<snip>
they would need to do twice fewer LHR-HKG J trips or twice more LHR-TLV trips, both of which would be completely wrong.
<snip>
Are you actually referring to half the number of LHR-HKG J trips?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Nice post and thanks for taking the time and effort to collate all this effort in one place ^

I also did not receive any phone call... Is someone pulling your leg?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
Nice post and thanks for taking the time and effort to collate all this effort in one place ^

Well, it could be an unofficial GGL hazing ritual... I'll know first hand in March.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for life
Originally Posted by dylanks
Well, it could be an unofficial GGL hazing ritual... I'll know first hand in March.
No call for me either when I made it, wan to know if I should feel hard done by!
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Lft Gld, AA Gld, Marrott/RC Lft Gld, IHG Gld
No call for me either upon originally joining the GGL nor on subsequent renewals. The nays seem to be carrying the day.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by onobond
Are you actually referring to half the number of LHR-HKG J trips?
Yes, I was saying that referring to 18 LHR-JFK returns ie about 122,000 miles or something was misleading because it could lead people to wrongly assume that if they fly LHR-HKG (6000 each way), 10 returns might be enough while of course it is still 18. So my suggestion was to say: typically 18 long haul J returns or 12 long haul F returns. (I realise that it is fewer if you fly trips over 6000 miles)
Old Jan 16, 2016, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I was saying that referring to 18 LHR-JFK returns ie about 122,000 miles or something was misleading because it could lead people to wrongly assume that if they fly LHR-HKG (6000 each way), 10 returns might be enough while of course it is still 18. So my suggestion was to say: typically 18 long haul J returns or 12 long haul F returns. (I realise that it is fewer if you fly trips over 6000 miles)
I see your point. I was trying to communicate minimums, for people that might be used to something like executive platinum, in evaluating how much effort it would take to earn GGL. That said, it's creating some confusion so I'll clean it up when I get a chance. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:10 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by dylanks
Regarding the call, I don't know yet! I've had 5 yays and 3 nays so far...
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
Originally Posted by onobond
I also never recieved a phone call on qualification - maybe it's just the US members that recieve the middle-of-night-call?
Originally Posted by womble88
No call for me either when I made it, wan to know if I should feel hard done by!
Originally Posted by asknotwhy
No call for me either upon originally joining the GGL nor on subsequent renewals. The nays seem to be carrying the day.
No call for me either. Not the first time nor subsequent times I've renewed at GGL. I'm in the US too.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Jolly good guide dylanks ^ Although I am unlikely to reach such dizzying heights, I'm sure others will appreciate the work that went into this. Definitely worthy of a pint at the 'British' pub in Scottsdale the next time I'm in PHX

H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.