Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling

Quite unimpressed by the wording on my GGL renewal letter this year... not only was it signed off by “Your Executive Club Team” rather than by a person but it says that I’ve “held on to” my GGL membership.. doesn’t exactly sound inspirational 🤨😟
I did not receive anything when my new membership year started in Feb. I rang GGL in March and was told that the renewal package wasn't sent for some reasons but another package was arranged.

However, nothing came through until July and called GGL again, then I was told that the request was sent but no items were sent off. The GGL agent told he would personally take care of this issue, and the renewal package was delivered by Signed-for.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by KARFA

i tried using my joker with someone else’s 2-4-1 and they said no even though I would be travelling.
When I called to use a joker on a booking for someone else this was the first question they asked. Apparently it's the deal breaker.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by KARFA

i tried using my joker with someone else’s 2-4-1 and they said no even though I would be travelling.
Do you think this would matter if the two people travelling are part of a Household Account, or just a flat out "no" cannot use your joker with a 2-4-1 of another person?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by Jase76
Do you think this would matter if the two people travelling are part of a Household Account, or just a flat out "no" cannot use your joker with a 2-4-1 of another person?
I used a joker to book a trip for four of us in a HHA, using a 241 of mine, and one from my wife
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Having received partner cards from me previously, and having soft landed to the level below twice now, this year Mrs gcuk and Miss gcuk have dropped from gold and silver respectively to blue, so no soft landing for either. Called the GGL expecting to be told this was in terms of the rules, and that is exactly what I was told, so in our case, soft landings don't exist any more.

Last edited by gcuk; Aug 7, 2019 at 10:47 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gcuk
Having received partner cards from me previously, and having soft landed to the level below twice now, this year Mrs gcuk and Miss gcuk have dropped from gold and silver respectively to blue, so no soft landing for either. Called the GGL expecting to be told this was in terms of the rules, and that is exactly what I was told, so in our case, soft landings don't exist any more.
thanks for the update. Was there any difference in how you did it? Perhaps one year you nominated online and another year you called?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Always done online. Maybe will try calling this year
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: BA GGL
In the last 6 months three of my partner card holders have soft landed - 2 x Silver t Bronze and 1 x Gold to Silver.. Most recently at the beginning of this month. They were all nominated 2 years ago and I think I nominated them all online at that stage. As an aside, have been unable to nominated anyone online for the last 6 months and have had to email or call.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
Thanks to the OP for putting together this guide. It's been both extremely interesting and inspiring for me. I read it a few times in 2018, and with the likelihood of some additional business travel, family who love vacations, and a good friend who's more than up for a good tier point run, thought attaining GGL would be a good challenge to take on.

A couple of weeks ago, I finally tipped over 5000 tier points and achieved it!

Some vital stats:
- Time to attain: 7 months
- Flights taken: 60
- Cost: £9698.44 (this was the flight cost to collect about 4300 tier points, the rest were obtained via business travel. I'd estimate about another £2000 on accommodation)
- Most visited destination: Helsinki

I've blogged about the experience from start to finish. Didn't post anything before in case I didn't make it!
dylanks likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by Wayland
Thanks to the OP for putting together this guide. It's been both extremely interesting and inspiring for me. I read it a few times in 2018, and with the likelihood of some additional business travel, family who love vacations, and a good friend who's more than up for a good tier point run, thought attaining GGL would be a good challenge to take on.

A couple of weeks ago, I finally tipped over 5000 tier points and achieved it!

Some vital stats:
- Time to attain: 7 months
- Flights taken: 60
- Cost: £9698.44 (this was the flight cost to collect about 4300 tier points, the rest were obtained via business travel. I'd estimate about another £2000 on accommodation)
- Most visited destination: Helsinki

I've blogged about the experience from start to finish. Didn't post anything before in case I didn't make it!
I really enjoyed reading excerpts from your blog, Wayland. Great effort on chronicling your pursuit in such detail. I hope the promised land is everything you imagined it would be! Certainly my experience is that BA show you a lot more love than as a GCH.
Wayland likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Gold
GGL e-mail address

Made it to 5000 tier points thanks to BAMissingAvios Can someone please DM me the GGL email address?

Thanks,

Dubliner1
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I have a question about partner cards and dates. I've tried to understand this in the past but failed dismally. It never really mattered to me until now when I'm trying to change something.

My 3 partner cards have been allocated to the same people for several years. My year renews in June and their years all renew in November. When my 2018 renewal came around I think it meant that their cards were valid until the end of their subsequent year which will be November 2019. Hopefully that's correct so far?

In June 2019 my year renewed and I once again nominated them for partner cards which I think means that it will extend their status from November 2019 to November 2020 but that period hasn't kicked in yet because they already have status until November 2019 based on my nominations in June 2018.

I would really like to change one of the silver nominations to a young guy I know who flies a lot but not enough to make silver. BA are saying I cannot change the nomination because I already nominated someone in June but as far as I can tell those nominations don't take effect until November 2019. Is there really no way to adjust this without waiting until June 2020? Apart from the hassle of the admin at BA's end I don't think I'm asking for something that's unreasonable as - as far as I can tell - their status as a result of my nominations in June 2019 has not been applied yet.

Last edited by golfmad; Aug 22, 2019 at 12:28 pm
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
I have a question about partner cards and dates. I've tried to understand this in the past but failed dismally. It never really mattered to me until now when I'm trying to change something.

My 3 partner cards have been allocated to the same people for several years. My year renews in June and their years all renew in November. When my 2018 renewal came around I think it meant that their cards were valid until the end of their subsequent year which will be November 2019. Hopefully that's correct so far?

In June 2019 my year renewed and I once again nominated them for partner cards which I think means that it will extend their status from November 2019 to November 2020 but that period hasn't kicked in yet because they already have status until November 2019 based on my nominations in June 2018.

I would really like to change one of the silver nominations to a young guy I know who flies a lot but not enough to make silver. BA are saying I cannot change the nomination because I already nominated someone in June but as far as I can tell those nominations don't take effect until November 2019. Is there really no way to adjust this without waiting until June 2020? Apart from the hassle of the admin at BA's end I don't think I'm asking for something that's unreasonable as - as far as I can tell - their status as a result of my nominations in June 2019 has not been applied yet.
Something's not right. I don't think it's possible to nominate someone for the same status until their card expires (NB not their membership year, which is a sore point). I had a silver partner card left to allocate and although my daughter's membership year was up, because her silver card was still valid until the end of the next month, I couldn't allocate the silver card to her.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Something's not right. I don't think it's possible to nominate someone for the same status until their card expires (NB not their membership year, which is a sore point). I had a silver partner card left to allocate and although my daughter's membership year was up, because her silver card was still valid until the end of the next month, I couldn't allocate the silver card to her.
exactly. golfmad, you shouldn’t have been able to re-nominate your existing cardholders until 2-3 days after the expiry date of their partner card. It’s strange in that you really should have all 3 nominations still available to you.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
exactly. Golfmad, you shouldn’t have been able to re-nominate your existing cardholders until 2-3 days after hit expiry of their partner card. It’s strange in that you really should have all 3 nominations still available to you.
Ok thank you both of you. That makes sense and ties in with what BA said too but I don't see how it's right in this case. They have all had their partner cards and status year after year which means they cannot have expired by June 2019 which means I should not have been able to renominate them in June 2019; but I did.

The only explanation would be if they were not upgraded prior to June 2019 but that is simply not the case for any of the three of them. Two of them actively used their status during the first part of 2019 and certainly prior to June.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.