Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pilot37
This is a "clinic" thread, so a great way to find out how to go via Dublin Airport en route to somewhere else (probably!). It covers issues such as back to back flights, overnight stopovers, passport and security issues, and logistical issues. There have been some recent posts about the viability of back to back trips, for which more reports of recent experiences would be helpful. See post 1468 onwards for more information.

Other threads which may well be useful include:
BA Tier Point Runs 2017
Premium Fare deals (J and F)
Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Travel with BA from Cork, Shannon and Knock - a pictorial guide

These sorts of flight arrangements aren't for everyone. If you have a family and luggage to check in, the potential cost savings have to weighed against the additional hassle and risk. Generally speaking it is safest to go either back to back or overnight - the latter is easier with checked luggage. The underlying logic for this is in this post.
Print Wikipost

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG DIamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I visited Dublin for a function a week or so ago. I took the Saturday 12:55 flight to LHR, it was a full A321. When we disembarked at Gate 23 I headed straight for UK Arrivals and I was challenged by a suited chap at the top of the jetty who was trying to herd me to International Transfers.

He said '... oh you're terminating here ... so you're one of the 19 then - the rest are connecting!'.
Ex-Eu/ B2B passengers presumably aren't seen as connecting passengers though?

Both my B2Bs went smoothly the other week using the 834/835 each time, I'd definitely advise people to book flights earlier in the day (to avoid the inevitable build up of delays later on).
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:39 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ab007
Ex-Eu/ B2B passengers presumably aren't seen as connecting passengers though?.
Yes, they are in this case - Tobias-UK is, I think, referring to a flight into LHR - so the start of an ex-EU where the next (connecting) flight would be the long haul.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex PP, Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by Pilot37
I noted this earlier in the thread - can't OLCI for my DUB > LCY return tonight. The Gold line say the whole flight is under airport control (no reason given), and I should hope it opens up later on, otherwise airport check-in will be required which will need to be worked from the LCY end!

Pilot37
Glad (in a sense) that it's not just me! I bottled trying to do my 1hr turnaround and the Gold line were kind enough to change my outbound from LHR to an earlier flight so I've time to go landside and sort out my check-in issues.

The only availability was in CE so I bit the bullet and paid an extra £57+ and 4500 avios but will have more peace of mind.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Yes, they are in this case - Tobias-UK is, I think, referring to a flight into LHR - so the start of an ex-EU where the next (connecting) flight would be the long haul.
That's exactly right. I was one of just 19 passengers on a full A321 DUB-LHR that was not connecting. And most of the passenger had English accents too!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Flier74
I didn't get the chance as he was running for his life as soon as he had the words immigration-landside-security
He might have been on my flight. Many of us were heading back - I counted 7. I allowed for 5 hours mostly because I had a lot of luggage to pick up and check in on the way back, didn't need all of it, but in light of the weather disruption I certainly used three and a half of it, even four. Caveat emptor.

EDIT: NWIFlyer, which seat were you in?

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I may also be mistaken here, I thought there is a direct exit to landside through a one-way door from the 200 gates, but in the light of Tobias' comments I may have got that wrong. The domestic flights from 200 gates have long gone, they are Aer Lingus regional services using T2 (2 services a day or thereabouts).
He broke every rule in the book. I hope you sentenced him to a course on Flyertalk! We would have sorted him out. He would have had security to redo if departing 300 gates, from the landside entry. And they start boarding LCY services about 25 minutes before departure.
They did break a lot of rules. I think I know who they were if it was my flight, some very apprehensive folk deplaning from CE.

As Tobias said, you get sent to the FR immigration point. I went there ten days ago and it was a zoo, total mess. Yesterday it was deserted. The electronic gates work well, I always fail at LHR as I have an old passport and it is not reading too well at the T5 eGates, but here I was literally through in less than a minute. From there you walk a corridor which drops you to the far left side of the baggage hall, so you walk across it to get to security as opposed to exiting landside (unless you have bags to check). If you hit busy immigration from the 200s you do not want to be on an hour connection, that is for sure.

Last edited by MarkedMan; Mar 29, 2016 at 7:09 am
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
7mins 23 secs on tonight's aircraft door to boarding gate B2B challenge coming off the 4468 (LCY) flight with a leisurely strolling pace used!
I had a fellow B2B companion in the CE cabin and apparently we have a full flight returning on the 4471.
The 823 to Heathrow is parked up at the 200's again while LCY is using the 300's - definitely seems a marked shift by BA to use the 200's for LHR - perhaps using a duel boarding set up (if they use the back steps) is helping the turn around times?

Pilot37
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
7mins 23 secs on tonight's aircraft door to boarding gate B2B challenge coming off the 4468 (LCY) flight with a leisurely strolling pace used!
Presumably the boarding pass was issued in LCY in the end?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Presumably the boarding pass was issued in LCY in the end?
OLCI opened up around 3pm c-w-s, so didn't get to test that option I'm afraid!

Pilot37

Last edited by Pilot37; Mar 30, 2016 at 5:30 am
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
The 823 to Heathrow is parked up at the 200's again while LCY is using the 300's - definitely seems a marked shift by BA to use the 200's for LHR - perhaps using a duel boarding set up (if they use the back steps) is helping the turn around times?

Pilot37
or - I was wondering just today - maybe 200s are cheaper?

not meaning to turn it into an 'enhancement' thread but they e.g. almost always use bus gates in FRA when jetties are available so they must be looking at costs somewhere in all this.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by chris1979
or - I was wondering just today - maybe 200s are cheaper?

not meaning to turn it into an 'enhancement' thread but they e.g. almost always use bus gates in FRA when jetties are available so they must be looking at costs somewhere in all this.
Today I noticed the 2 LHR aircraft were both at 200's (BA830 and BA836) whilst two LCY aircrafts at 300's.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Hopefully this is the right topic for this.

If clearing USA immigration in Dublin, which flight do enter onto the form.

The one that you take after clearing or the flight to Dublin?

I assume the flight to the USA, but thought I'd check.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
For the first time my B2B to DUB today has not worked! My incoming AA was late and as a result I was automatically transferred from the 830 at 14.10 to an Aer Lingus flight at 15.50. I think I would have made the 830 hang baggage only, however not allowed. I left heathrow and have also lost my 829 return from DUB.

Couple of questions; will I get my TP for the first flight which completed my itinerary, and I cancelled the 829 and got told I'll get taxes back but not Avios. Is this correct? (RFS flight)
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You should get the TP and avios due for the 830 but you will have to apply for an Original Routing Credit.

For your 829 RFS return you will only get taxes. Avios bookings cancelled within 24 hours of the flight are not refundable so no avios back I am afraid.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Hopefully this is the right topic for this.

If clearing USA immigration in Dublin, which flight do enter onto the form.

The one that you take after clearing or the flight to Dublin?

I assume the flight to the USA, but thought I'd check.
Flight to the us as it is your arrival flight into the us, but i like that question, Had me thinking!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mikeyfly

Couple of questions; will I get my TP for the first flight which completed my itinerary, and I cancelled the 829 and got told I'll get taxes back but not Avios. Is this correct? (RFS flight)
As KARFA has already clarified this is correct. Just out of interest, was this cancellation done on the telephone or in person at the airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.