Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:11 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Did the minimum connect time at LHR recently change? A few weeks ago, I'm certain I saw a connection between AA and EY with 1 hour 20 minutes but such an itinerary does not show up now.
I don't think it's changed. 1 hr 30 mins T3 to T4.

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at LHR
Incoming airline AA
Outgoing airline EY
Flight type International to International

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE    .45  1.15  1.15  1.30
OFFLINE   .45  1.15  1.15  1.30
** OR * ARE ALL
**-** II  1.00 TRM 2  - 2  
**-** II  1.15 TRM 3  - 2  
**-** II  1.30 TRM 4  - 2  
**-** II  1.30 TRM 5  - 2  
**-** II  1.15 TRM 2  - 3  
**-** II  1.10 TRM 3  - 3  
**-** II  1.30 TRM 4  - 3  
**-** II  1.30 TRM 5  - 3  
**-** II  1.30 TRM TN - 3  
**-** II  1.30 TRM 2  - 4  
**-** II  1.30 TRM 3  - 4  
**-** II  1.00 TRM 4  - 4  
**-** II  1.45 TRM 5  - 4  
**-** II  1.30 TRM TN - 4  
**-** II  1.30 TRM 2  - 5  
**-** II  1.30 TRM 3  - 5  
**-** II  1.45 TRM 4  - 5  
**-** II  1.00 TRM 5  - 5  
**-** II  1.30 TRM 3  - TN 
**-** II  1.30 TRM 4  - TN
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PZE
Apologies if I’ve missed this somewhere in the (very thorough) wiki but could anyone confirm whether it’s possible to check bags airside when connecting using the flight connections buses T5-T2? The reason for this is that I’m arriving on BA and leaving on BE, and now that their interline agreement is cancelled and it needs to be booked on separate tickets I’m wary of trying to make a remotely tight connection with checked luggage. My luggage will meet BA’s hand luggage rules but not the rather smaller allowance for Flybe’s DH-8, so ideally I would arrive into T5 with my hand luggage, use the buses airside, then check in my case. Does this work?

(I’ve tried this with both Flybe and Heathrow twitter teams who both gave different and unconvincing answers).

thanks in advance.
Having seen something out of the corner of my eye on a recent T2 flight, what I think you best do is take the bags with you through to airside T2, so through security, and then take them to the gate for checking there. The airline desks are after security at T2, and I don't think Flybe have a presence there either, so you best do it at the gate. Due to the size of the Flybe's aircraft, a lot of thing have to go into the hold anyway. If it's within your ticketed allowance I don't envisage a problem.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:33 pm
PZE

Programs: BA Bronze, KrisFlyer Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Having seen something out of the corner of my eye on a recent T2 flight, what I think you best do is take the bags with you through to airside T2, so through security, and then take them to the gate for checking there. The airline desks are after security at T2, and I don't think Flybe have a presence there either, so you best do it at the gate. Due to the size of the Flybe's aircraft, a lot of thing have to go into the hold anyway. If it's within your ticketed allowance I don't envisage a problem.
thanks as ever C-W-S - that was kind of the conclusion I was coming to, but have never seen it done on purpose. On the other hand, I’ve seen plenty of people being separated from oversized bags at the Flybe gate, and I assume they don’t have to choose between being denied boarding and having their luggage incinerated.

i suppose the other option is to use flight connections to get T5-T2 but then head landslide through passport control and check straight back through... not necessarily much slower than clearing airside passport control but a fair bit quicker than landside transfer.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:35 pm

I am sure this is covered but my searching skills seem to be letting me down.

We are flying on separate tickets from USA to LHR and then on to CPH with inbound and outbound at LHR at T5. No checked baggage. I am a little confused by the ready to fly and conformance and biometrics things on separate tickets. Can we just act as connecting passengers and use FCC or must me go landslide and then back through security at T5A? We have USA passports so should have epassport gate access and have a good amount of time between flights so going landslide should be ok, but just want to be sure I understand the options in case our inbound is late.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:46 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lkar
We are flying on separate tickets from USA to LHR and then on to CPH with inbound and outbound at LHR at T5. No checked baggage. I am a little confused by the ready to fly and conformance and biometrics things on separate tickets. Can we just act as connecting passengers and use FCC or must me go landslide and then back through security at T5A? We have USA passports so should have epassport gate access and have a good amount of time between flights so going landslide should be ok, but just want to be sure I understand the options in case our inbound is late.
Having separate tickets isn't an issue in this area. You can just follow the purple signs for Flight Connections, which takes you through security, which I am sure is what most people do. There would be no passport control stage here. If you have access to the First Wing as well as e-gate access then it could be a more pleasant experience to go landside and up through main security again, so long as you have an hour or more to go. If you don't have First Wing access (in other words you are not a oneworld Emerald in this scenario) then you may as well stick to the Flight Connection route. Ready to Fly and Conformance doesn't affect any of this and will kick in automatically whatever you decide to do.
lkar likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:46 am

60 minute connection from arriving in LHR from LBA and leaving to Abu Dhabi? Through ticket

Realistic or madness?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
60 minute connection from arriving in LHR from LBA and leaving to Abu Dhabi? Through ticket

Realistic or madness?
Realistic (the LBA service often arrives early anyway), AUH may well leave from B or C, but even with a 25 minute delay to scheduled arrival you would still make the service. The MCT on your ticket is 60 minutes, so you are at that minima, but in my view DOM-INT should be 45 minutes, 60 minutes is too long.

Having said that, if you are planning on getting married in AUH 2 hours after arrival, I think you need to replan. In other words, context and details matter.
Barnaby100 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Hello everyone.

Transferring from IB3164 (From MAD) onto BA055 (to JNB) thanks to a switch of route due to IB cancelling their MAD-JNB route.
Both flights on the same ticket.

IB 3164 land at 17:55 and BA055 takes off at 19:05, giving 70 minutes.

It seems boarding start 10 minutes after our scheduled landing time !

Is this enough time ?
I think we will have to go through security again.
Will we need to panic and sprint through T5, asking nicely to go to the front of the security queues ?

Any tips for shortcuts / speeding things up ?

Ta.

Last edited by Sisyphus1carus; Oct 3, 2019 at 6:54 am
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Hello everyone.

Transferring from IB3164 (From MAD) onto BA055 (to JNB) thanks to a switch of route due to IB cancelling their MAD-JNB route.

Is this enough time ?
Will we need to panic and sprint through T5, asking nicely to go to the front of the security queues ?

Ta.
It's very likely your inbound flight will arrive at T5A and that your outbound will go from T5C (if you arrive in to T5B or C btw definitely use the flight connections centre in the satellites and don't come back to T5A to FCC there).

Boarding usually starts no earlier than 45 mins before departure for long hauls so I expect a 1905 flight will start at 1820 at the earliest, and you don't have to be there when boarding starts so you have more time than you think. I would say probably stick to the airside route via the flight connections centre (there is a fast track channel) unless you end up getting off with more than an hour to go and can use the e-passport gates and TFW in which case going landside would be my preferred option.

So I wouldn't be too concerned unless you are quite late arriving tbh. 70 minutes is more than sufficient.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:56 am

That particular IB service may well arrive at T5B or C actually, but ultimately it is a complete lottery.
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:45 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Hello everyone.

Is this enough time ?

Ta.
If this were me, I would call IB and see if they could put me on an earlier flight to LHR since this was due to their schedule change. (You will probably make it, but it is a little close for comfort.)
Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Three automatic gates at the bp check point in T5 when coming from DOM flights. Should reduce the amount of queues which seemed to happen when you were getting off towards the back of a domestic arrival, or when you get 2 or more domestic flights arriving at the same time. I have been suggesting this would be a good improvement for some time now.

Sorry for the poor photo, only thought to take one as I was going up the escalator. Am in on Saturday so will take a better one then!

Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:54 am
Original Poster

A better picture of the new automatic gates at the bp check point for domestic flights connecting on to T5 flights.

Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:02 am
formerly JackDann

Travelling from DUB and connecting onto a flight to KUL on the 20th December. In CW so will have Fastrack. Am I right in saying that my best bet would still be to head landside and then re-enter due to the queues?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JackDann
Travelling from DUB and connecting onto a flight to KUL on the 20th December. In CW so will have Fastrack. Am I right in saying that my best bet would still be to head landside and then re-enter due to the queues?
If I was tight on time and running up against conformance (35 minutes before the flight) I would head to the flight connections as you can get to a bp check point quicker than going landside.

Other than that, yes going landside would be my preference here. I would suggest use the fast track at north security as that is usually quieter than south fast track.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.