Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Shinji4u
Where does the US check happens if you have a T5 Shengen to T5 US connection? I know where they checked us the last time when we had to connect to T3, but I don’t know where they do it in T5?
Not sure which US checks you mean.

assuming through ticketed, most of your docs will be checked at check in before boarding your first flight schegen if needed.

At T5 you will have them briefly checked as you gi through the transfer connections space prior to T5 security.

If you are chosen for SSSS then that will typically happen at the gate as you are boarding.

There may be other further checks done in the gate area and you may well get a sticker put on your passport there to show you have been checked
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You can usually get your go before, but There is usually a doc check and this may not be cleared by your starting airport. When you go down to wait for the airside bus in T5 there are usually aa agents who will do it there, or if you don’t want to do it there head to T3 where it can be done at the A lounge (if open) or at the gate.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Shinji4u
Where does the US check happens if you have a T5 Shengen to T5 US connection? I know where they checked us the last time when we had to connect to T3, but I don’t know where they do it in T5?
If you're flying BA to the US, there's no check at T5. Heathrow does not do additional checks like Zurich or Frankfurt do. As other mentioned - your docks will be verified by your departure check-in and if you got SSSS on your boarding pass - that will happen at the gate pre-departure.

If you're flying AA to the US, then at T3 you can do it at Flight Connections (there are AA desks before security), at the AA lounge (if it's open) or at the gate.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by megaloman
If you're flying BA to the US, there's no check at T5. Heathrow does not do additional checks like Zurich or Frankfurt do. As other mentioned - your docks will be verified by your departure check-in and if you got SSSS on your boarding pass - that will happen at the gate pre-departure.

If you're flying AA to the US, then at T3 you can do it at Flight Connections (there are AA desks before security), at the AA lounge (if it's open) or at the gate.
Ah ok, thx. Our last flights were going via Frankfurt, Paris or with AA from Terminal 3. Will be our first BA flight from terminal 5 to the USA.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 2:34 am

Apologies if this has been asked before, tried searching but couldn’t see responses.

Flying in to T5 with BA and onwards from T3 with AA, all in J and ticketed through, around mid-August. I’ve got 2hr 10min for the connection (I’ve resigned myself to not having time to check out the CX lounge &#128557.

Is it just a case of using flight connections and the airside buses, or is this not the optimum choice?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:36 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by lvA6
Apologies if this has been asked before, tried searching but couldn’t see responses.

Flying in to T5 with BA and onwards from T3 with AA, all in J and ticketed through, around mid-August. I’ve got 2hr 10min for the connection (I’ve resigned myself to not having time to check out the CX lounge &#128557.

Is it just a case of using flight connections and the airside buses, or is this not the optimum choice?
I think your best option is to use the airside buses and flight connections, especially as it’s T5 to T3 (if you were OWE and going the other way, you could consider going landside at T5 and using the First Wing). This might be very tight, given that fast track security isn’t open in flight connections at present. You will want to stay airside to increase your chances of meeting security conformance.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:13 am

Thanks for the input. That's what I was thinking also.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
Connection AA to BA (T3 to T5) LHR

Greetings,
haven’t been to hear grow in years!

flying DFW-LHR-TLV. Yesterday I read that all inbound AA flights now land in T3.

I land in T3 at 6:25AM, connecting to a BA flight to TLV out of Terminal 5. I hold an American passport so I’m assuming I can do EGATE.

So what are my odds really? Assuming the flight lands on time - is 1:30 doable?

your experience is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
R
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by rebech34
Greetings,
haven’t been to hear grow in years!

flying DFW-LHR-TLV. Yesterday I read that all inbound AA flights now land in T3.

I land in T3 at 6:25AM, connecting to a BA flight to TLV out of Terminal 5. I hold an American passport so I’m assuming I can do EGATE.

So what are my odds really? Assuming the flight lands on time - is 1:30 doable?

your experience is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
R
1:30 is doable, it is the minimum legal connection time.

there is an airside transit so no need to egate assuming either your luggage is through checked or you are hbo.
rebech34 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold elite, *A Silver, Accor Silver
Is it on the same ticket or a self transfer?

Same ticket - follow flight connections and get a bus to T5 - you'll then join the queue for international transfers - I don't believe there are e-gates there and passports need to be checked by a human - it's been a while since I passed that way.

Self transfer - follow the signs for baggage claim you'll go through passport control, you should be able to use the e-gates - however the last time I was there (4 weeks ago) the passport queues were horrendous and took about 40 minutes to get through - this was a Sunday morning though. Once you've got your baggage head town the stairs to the Heathrow Express which will give you free transport to T5 (you still need a ticket, but they are free) then up in the lift to departures and through security again.

Self transfer and 90 minutes might be a wee bit tight.
rebech34 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:53 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by onlynik
Is it on the same ticket or a self transfer?

Same ticket - follow flight connections and get a bus to T5 - you'll then join the queue for international transfers - I don't believe there are e-gates there and passports need to be checked by a human - it's been a while since I passed that way.

Self transfer - follow the signs for baggage claim you'll go through passport control, you should be able to use the e-gates - however the last time I was there (4 weeks ago) the passport queues were horrendous and took about 40 minutes to get through - this was a Sunday morning though. Once you've got your baggage head town the stairs to the Heathrow Express which will give you free transport to T5 (you still need a ticket, but they are free) then up in the lift to departures and through security again.

Self transfer and 90 minutes might be a wee bit tight.
If you are HBO then even if you are on separate tickets, you should be able to use the "same ticket" route above (at least if you are checked in for the next flight an have a boarding pass).

However, that said: Assuming you are attempting to use Flight Connections at T5 (first route), when you get to T5 flight connections have a look at the queue. If it is horrendous and you have more than 60 minutes before your fight time, consider going landside (through passport control - this assumes you have a right to enter the UK) and then going back airside particularly if you are BA gold or equivalent, as you can use First Wing which is often far quicker than security, particularly the lines from Flight Connections.
rebech34 and onlynik like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Obviously nothing is certain these days. But if on a single ticket, as mentioned, this should normally be doable (whether any checked bag would make it is a slightly different issue so I'd keep at least one day of fresh clothes in hand luggage) and the worst that can happen is that they reroute you and find a solution.

If it is two tickets, that's basically suicidal and having to buy a last minute TLV flight in peak summer could prove anywhere between bankruptcy and mission impossible.
rebech34 and onlynik like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:40 am

First time at LHR, need some help transfering from T3 to T5

Next week im flying OSL-LHR-YUL with BA. My flight is scheduled to arrive at 13:10 to LHR and next flight departs at 17:40. So I’ll have around 4,5 hours. I checked that the plane from Oslo lands in T3 and my flight to Montreal is at T5. I never been to LHR before and from what i saw on a map it looks massive and taking current airport chaos into consideration, Im worried that im going to get lost during my transfer. I would really appreciate some tips and advice on how to get around without getting lost.

note: my flight is made on one booking and i have European passport
squeeler likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum. This answer would be different if you had separate tickets AND checked luggage, but luckily this doesn't apply here.

It's not too difficult, just follow the purple signs to Flight Connections and then later on Flight Connections T5. And that's all you really need to know but the details are all above in the first few posts. It should take under an hour and it's very rare for anyone to get lost.
AJA_ likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Welcome to FT!

You have plenty of time between arrival at T3 and departure from T5. As you are on one booking I believe BA will check your luggage all the way to final destination.

When you arrive at T3 follow the signs for Flight Connections. I've not done it myself but I believe the transfer is by airside bus so no entry through UK immigration.

Not sure what class you're travelling in but if you have lounge access you will probably be better off heading to the lounges in T5B unless you're flying in First and have access to the CCR (Concorde Room)

I'm sure others with more experience will be able to share their advice.

Edit beaten to it by the oracle that iscorporate-wage-slave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.