FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thumbs up

What can I say other than job well done with such an excellent and comprehensive guide ^

H
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This presumably this is the lifts landside to take you from arrivals to departures? If exiting via baggage carousel 9, the Orange lift is in front of you and indeed the best way for South security. [If heading for North security you need to exit by baggage carousel 5]. You may need to push both buttons since the two lifts aren't connected for some reason. Not all lifts and not all escalators get you to the departure floor so it's worth knowing.

I wouldn't use the lift to go from the back of passports down to baggage reclaim, that is too short to be worth it.

EDIT: New FT function for adding photos! Click on the thumbnail for a fuller map of the exit route after the e-gates / UK Border / Dublin landside route:
^

Thanks for this. I hadn't realized there were two sets of customs exits, and I had been choosing the North set. Going South instead should save me another 10 minutes.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by greg5
^

Thanks for this. I hadn't realized there were two sets of customs exits, and I had been choosing the North set. Going South instead should save me another 10 minutes.
South is indeed shorter, distance wise, and still best on the whole I think. But the North Fast Track appears only to be known by Flyertalkers! I've rarely seen anyone else in it when I've used it.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
South is indeed shorter, distance wise, and still best on the whole I think. But the North Fast Track appears only to be known by Flyertalkers! I've rarely seen anyone else in it when I've used it.
Last time I tried North Fast Track, it was only labeled as FT, and then they threw me in with the rest of the pax. A couple days later it seems to have gone live. Oh well, it was still pretty fast, as I went way left.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:23 pm

Fantastic work KARFA answers lots of questions I was asking recently ;-)

Thanks for putting this together its a great resource for this forum.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hoch
What can I say other than job well done with such an excellent and comprehensive guide ^

H
Thanks Hoch

Originally Posted by wytco0
Fantastic work KARFA answers lots of questions I was asking recently ;-)

Thanks for putting this together its a great resource for this forum.
I thought you might like it. I remeber you recently asking quite a few questions about how things were laid out
Old Jan 1, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Amazing, very informative guide. Thank you so much for this, especially the DUB info.

Katie
Old Jan 1, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Excellent thread KARFA ^
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Great thread Karfa very informative and it will prove a great tool for the many questions that come up about connecting at LHR.

I am not sure on the rules but it may be worth adding to the UK and Ireland forum, a similar question is often asked there.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:12 am

Because BA833 was a bit early today and as I had not done it before I decided to connect via the FCC just to see what it is like. It wasn't too bad but I will use the landside option in future.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Another ^ for KARFA from me ... outstanding bit of work.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Sorry, I try and usually leave a bit of wiggle room in the timings but a family member is delayed on a their inbound flight and is going to be doing a T3 (Int) > T5 (UK) connection.

Do they go through conformance at T5 and if so is the timings still 35 min?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks KARFA for the massive effort! I'll be trialing the T5-T2-Bath Road route this evening.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flieduk
Sorry, I try and usually leave a bit of wiggle room in the timings but a family member is delayed on a their inbound flight and is going to be doing a T3 (Int) > T5 (UK) connection.

Do they go through conformance at T5 and if so is the timings still 35 min?
Yes. It's always 35 minutes if going the e-gates route, counted at the entrance of security at the departure level of T5, it can be as low as 21 minutes if going via Flight Connections and HBO - counted from the BA desk in front of the T5 UK Border Force checkpoint. Consequently if time is tight it is best to go via Flight Connections. However if it is a through ticket, and BA believe the connection is non-viable, then it may be auto-rebooked anyway if the connection from T3 to T5 falls much below 75 minutes.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC
Yes. It's always 35 minutes if going the e-gates route, counted at the entrance of security at the departure level of T5, it can be as low as 21 minutes if going via Flight Connections and HBO - counted from the BA desk in front of the T5 UK Border Force checkpoint. Consequently if time is tight it is best to go via Flight Connections. However if it is a through ticket, and BA believe the connection is non-viable, then it may be auto-rebooked anyway if the connection from T3 to T5 falls much below 75 minutes.
Hold on - is conformance used for non-connections (i.e. Landside to Airside security?)? I was not aware of that.

So, are you saying that conformance is less than 35 min when going through airside connections?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.