Wiki Posts
Search

Go around on BA995 at LHR this evening

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Go around on BA995 at LHR this evening

My first experience of a go-around this evening returning to LHR from TXL on BA995.

We got down to 200ft and then, due to an Air France flight not vacating the runway were told go-around.

Quite interesting as an avgeek. It wasn't too alarming, the plane did go pretty quiet though and the pilot did a great job of telling us what was going on as soon as he could. I figure it'd be far less fun as a passenger if the weather conditions were poor or there was any doubt that it might be down to some kind of mechanical problem.

Interesting to see it on flightradar24 too https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...-euul/#848c666
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Quite interesting to see on the flightradar. I suppose the main thing that passengers need in a situation like that is to be informed, which was done well in this case...so hats off to the pilots/crew.

I find it fascinating how they manage to stack and hold all those flights into Heathrow. I remember years ago when I used to walk home from work early in the morning in Newbury, there used to be a line up of planes waiting to approach Heathrow. I believe they call it the Lambourn stack or something like that.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Lambourne is one of the stacks and the one that we were held at in the NE this evening. Loads more info on arrivals here: http://www.heathrow.com/noise/heathr...l-flight-paths

I usually take an F window seat but was in an A seat on the LH side of the plane this evening.

The cloud was low and it was interesting seeing quite how much traffic there was over London. While were waiting at Lambourne I counted seven planes that I could see at one stage.

Also fascinating just after the go-around I was able to see the line of planes on approach as we flew in the opposite direction, and then joined them.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
Lambourne is one of the stacks and the one that we were held at in the NE this evening. Loads more info on arrivals here: http://www.heathrow.com/noise/heathr...l-flight-paths
I always assumed that the Lambourn(e) Stack was near Lambourn, Berkshire...so I got that wrong. I guess I must have seen one of the other stacks. It was pretty eerrie sometimes on a dark night seeing a mass of lights heading towards London.

As you say, it is fascinating - how they manage to work it all out.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headingwest
I always assumed that the Lambourn(e) Stack was near Lambourn, Berkshire...
Confused me too when I saw the name at first. I grew up just down the road from there!
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:34 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Confused me too when I saw the name at first. I grew up just down the road from there!
I remember years ago when I used to walk home from work early in the morning in Newbury, there used to be a line up of planes waiting to approach Heathrow.
I never though there are any ohter FTers around Newbury area I spent 3 years living there and that was exactly my experience!
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
My first experience of a go-around this evening returning to LHR from TXL on BA995.

We got down to 200ft and then, due to an Air France flight not vacating the runway were told go-around.

Quite interesting as an avgeek. It wasn't too alarming, the plane did go pretty quiet though and the pilot did a great job of telling us what was going on as soon as he could. I figure it'd be far less fun as a passenger if the weather conditions were poor or there was any doubt that it might be down to some kind of mechanical problem.

Interesting to see it on flightradar24 too https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...-euul/#848c666
Re keeping passengers informed, I imagine that in the immediate aftermath, there is quite a heavy workload in the cockpit, and of course the first priority of the pilots is to fly safely. From memory, the go arounds I have experienced (3 but none on BA) have always involved an initial announcement from cabin crew, followed by Captain coming on later. I wonder if this is SOP for BA and other airlines?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by headingwest
I suppose the main thing that passengers need in a situation like that is to be informed ...
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
Re keeping passengers informed, I imagine that in the immediate aftermath, there is quite a heavy workload in the cockpit, and of course the first priority of the pilots is to fly safely.
Indeed. The main thing that passengers need is not to be informed, but to be properly flown. Being informed about what's happening is a long way down the priority list.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Re keeping passengers informed, I imagine that in the immediate aftermath, there is quite a heavy workload in the cockpit, and of course the first priority of the pilots is to fly safely. From memory, the go arounds I have experienced (3 but none on BA) have always involved an initial announcement from cabin crew, followed by Captain coming on later. I wonder if this is SOP for BA and other airlines?
I always make a quick PA explaining that there is nothing to worry about and that the Captain will speak to you shortly to explain the reason why he decided not to land.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There is a lot to do and you are right that an announcement to passengers is pretty low on the list. I generally find BA are better and more ready to talk to passengers then those of other airlines I have experienced.

For reference here is the chart for 27L and showing the missed apporach as the dashed blue line. It is also decribed in blue on the bottom right corner:

Obviously the idea is to keep you out of the way of any departing aircraft, any other inbound aircraft, and any aircraft holding around LHR. Tower will hand you back to apporach control and then you can be re-sequenced in for an apporach if you wish to try again.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I had a go-around at LHR a few weeks ago when we were too close to a 747 in front of us. CC made a quick announcement followed by pilot. However, I had a touch and go at ABZ in April (I have to admit that was scary) but no announcements from anyone for a good 5 minutes which is understandable - it must be frantic in the cockpit in those minutes - however all well rehearsed I'm sure. I think I've had my quota of these now thank you BA.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think frantic is not really the right word. Calm but higher workload is probably a better description.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Really interesting. Thanks KARFA. Looks like we flew heading 139.

There was no CC announcement.

I was surprised how quickly the Captain was back on the PA, perhaps after a minute or so. The comms were great, clear, calm, explained that it was routine and that there was an Air France plane that hadn't vacated the runway.

I was just wondering what the extra fuel burn was!
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Indeed. The main thing that passengers need is not to be informed, but to be properly flown. Being informed about what's happening is a long way down the priority list.
Aviate, navigate, communicate.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:02 am

Well I think that's pretty obvious. What I meant was that it's nice to know why the landing has been aborted and explain that it's nothing to worry about, rather than say nothing. Of course I wouldn't expect the pilot to immediately give a step by step explanation of what he's doing. But you're just nitpicking aren't you!?

Newbury born and bred, btw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.