Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger Flying in CockPit GLA-LGW

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze!! Hilton Gold
Passenger Flying in CockPit GLA-LGW

I was recently on a BA flight GLasgow to Gatwick and as the flight became full 2 gentlemans names where called out and asked to come to the front.( I was in row 1)

1 gentleman was asked to sit in a spare Crew seat and the other was asked if he would mind sitting in the cockpit for the flight. He jumped at the chance.

This was the first time I ever seen this happen. Is it the norm?

I also seen an officer come out the cock pit and wait to get into the toilet whilst no crew member took his seat in the cockpit on a BA flight from Marrakech after the German Wings Crash.

I thought all European carriers changed the rules to the cockpits being occupied.
Do BA have their own rules?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Woody12354
I was recently on a BA flight GLasgow to Gatwick and as the flight became full 2 gentlemans names where called out and asked to come to the front.( I was in row 1)

1 gentleman was asked to sit in a spare Crew seat and the other was asked if he would mind sitting in the cockpit for the flight. He jumped at the chance.
Crew members on staff travel, I'd say.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Oct 18, 2015 at 2:20 pm Reason: Typo!
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
If pax who went to crew seat and cockpit were already seated in the cabin, I would suspect they were off duty crew.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:19 pm

Definitely crew on standby. We don't allow commercial passengers access to the flight deck inflight.

In regards to your second comment, I'm not prepared to discuss BA's safety and security procedures.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Out of curiosity - when are passengers allowed on the flight deck?

I was once allowed in after landing in Amsterdam on a BA flight. I was even allowed to turn off the autopilot! Very interesting experience and the captain was great, very interesting stories to tell!

I also recall entering the cockpit once during flight when I was four years old (so 1997 ish - pre 9/11). The flight deck made an announcement along the lines of "would any children like to see the cockpit?", to which my father dragged me up and I seem to recall every other father flying with their children doing the same!

I suppose since 9/11 all has changed during flight...
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CountryKerry
Out of curiosity - when are passengers allowed on the flight deck?

I was once allowed in after landing in Amsterdam on a BA flight. I was even allowed to turn off the autopilot! Very interesting experience and the captain was great, very interesting stories to tell!

I also recall entering the cockpit once during flight when I was four years old (so 1997 ish - pre 9/11). The flight deck made an announcement along the lines of "would any children like to see the cockpit?", to which my father dragged me up and I seem to recall every other father flying with their children doing the same!

Before is possible, although obvioulsy there is a lot going on at that stage. Probably best to get onboard as early as you can and ask the CSM/CSD. If you are close then it is easier, so for example F on an A380 is an ideal spot, whereas right at the back of Y is not. I have done it before a flight a few times now. Once when I was on the UD of a 747 and the captain came out to the galley so I asked. Other times I have done is when there are delays. The best are when ATC is holding them on the ground since there is nothing to do but wait. I once sat in the cockpit for 20 minutes with the captain in an A320 at HEL since we were held there by Heathrow for about 30 minutes.

During the flight there is no chance. It isn't allowed and there is no point asking. I wish it was allowed.

At the end can be good especially on longhaul which you are doing since there is perhaps a little less rush to turn the aircraft around. Again perhaps ask the CSD/CSM or another CC member towards the end of the flight and ask whether you could go up once at the gate. It is usually fine and the flight crew are typically pleased to have a chat and show you the cockpit.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:34 pm

Oh and if you can grab a random child they can usually can smooth your passage to the cockpit before/after the flight. Remember to return the child once you have finished
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Woody12354
I also seen an officer come out the cock pit and wait to get into the toilet whilst no crew member took his seat in the cockpit on a BA flight from Marrakech after the German Wings Crash.

I thought all European carriers changed the rules to the cockpits being occupied.
BA didn't change their procedures at the time and there is no law/regulation which says a member of CC has to go in when a pilot comes out.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by CountryKerry
It certainly has. It was common practice for BA pilots flying to places like LIN, MXP, VCE and TRN to let people visit on clear days over the Alps for breathtaking views from the flight deck. On more than one occasion the captain would say something like "it's a good view day over the Alps, so we are leaving the door open, do feel free to drop in". Or "we're happy for any children to come up to flight deck, and that includes grown-up children". I'm glad I had the opportunity to do it.

SABENA (Such A Bad Experience Never Again) flight crew rarely shut their cockpit door at all.

As for the original post, I'm a row 1 regular and yes it will typically be airline staff involved, even if they are in mufti. I had a similar experience on Friday going to Scotland with a family of mum and dad, both BA employees, and I guess their 10 year old daughter. Mum on the flight deck, dad in the rear jump seat, daughter under the crew's observation in row 2.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze!! Hilton Gold
Yesitsme, the 2 gentleman seemed to be in their late 50's and didn't seem to be "crew" members, they looked more shocked than us in the 1st row TBH. I do wish I asked now!!

As for the Marrakech flight.... I was asking a general question, not for you to disclose your employers internal security process. I was just wondering if it was common knowledge that they where not working in the same way as U.S. Carriers .... Who knows, maybe there was a "crew" member that was asked to sit in the cockpit as well.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I have flown in the cockpit before. Airline and flight shall remain unnamed. And yes, this was after 9/11...
Old Oct 18, 2015, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Football Fan
I have flown in the cockpit before. Airline and flight shall remain unnamed. And yes, this was after 9/11...
Still allowed in some countries as far as I know. So probably not as unusual as you might think.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 3:30 pm

I'm not going to go into the company policy on such matters.

As a general question though, just what good do you think it would do/does do having a second person in the flight deck at all times? Do you think having a steward or stewardess in the flight deck would prevent a nutter pilot from committing suicide by aircraft?

Personally I think it is just a nonsense knee jerk reaction, ill conceived, not thought out and apart from tokenism, completely and utterly pointless. All just my opinion as a pilot but I wonder what others think.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
It can be any staff on duty travel or flying crew travelling to or from work or some CAA and DfT staff and even some ATC staff with prior arrangement.

So it could have been any number of staff.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I have a friend who flies helicopters to oil rigs in shift pattern but lives down in SE England. The company he works for has some kind of agreement with BA that means he quite often flies standby ABZ>LHR or in crew jump seats.

As a certified commercial pilot I'm pretty sure he said that he's sat in the cockpit for the full flight a couple of times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.