Wiki Posts
Search

First ever rant (kind of)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
First ever rant (kind of)

Not the biggest or most important issue, but noteworthy nonetheless.

Flew back from SEA on the BA48 last night and was somewhat taken aback by what transpired to be a bit of a newbie problem.

It goes like this........
MF crew, first drinks round and Mrs Geemac ask for her traditional Kir Royale.
'Sorry'? Asks the CC member
In case it's the Scottish accent, she repeats the request more slowly, cue a dumbstruck face and another 'sorry'.
I chime in with 'Kir Royale, champagne cocktail, it's on the drinks list', points to the list.
CC turns to check with a colleague, who tells her she'll fetch the creme de cassis for her.
Clearly she had no idea what it was, Mrs Geemac and I were both dumbfounded!

When CSM came to take dinner order, I had a word. She explained that the CC member was new, only 6 weeks in the job.

Now, what I don't get is why new CC would be placed into CW cabin? I would assume CC work their way up the cabins, gaining experience through time, a period longer than 6 weeks?

I can't believe that she could have served in CW before, otherwise she would know what a Kir Royale is.

If I put myself in front of my customers without knowing what I was selling, I'd be unceremoniously shown the door. Not knowing what I consider to be a staple of the CW drinks menu is rather disappointing.

What's also interesting, is that before this happened, Mrs Geemac pointed this particular CC member out to me, as she thought that she looked a little nervous during the boarding process. As an HR professional, she is a damn good judge of people.

Is this simply a case of someone being pushed too hard without proper training/experience here? I appreciate staff have to be trained, but this is a real faux pas here.

I'd point out that I've never complained about BA staff ever in 20+ years of flying BA. I find them to be exceptional, indeed the (MF) crew on our outbound flight were one of the most fantastic I've experienced.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
In light of your drinks problem, may I suggest AA in the future?

Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
This really is a first world problem.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A tad unfair, on the job training is all part of learning.

There was a newbie serving us in our Lufty F flight who was clearly nervous. Her superiors were useless at mentoring her which led to her making even more mistakes. I felt sorry for her.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by Worcester
In light of your drinks problem, may I suggest AA in the future?

As a raging alcoholic i can assure you anyone deserving an AA flight (meeting cough) would never order such a thing! . (Also see omni thread read and misunderstand this post as i just did....the shame!!).

Geemac, i have to agree it is really annoying when you have to explain something in the very precise product offering. I worked in burger king through my student years, any confusion about what constituted anything on the menu would be followed up with a stern talking to; that may have happened here but BA put themselves across as a professional airline service wise (see tv program) and in my experience they usually absolutely are, but this is quite poor. I mean read the one thing the customers are guaranteed to ask you about....

Is it important, of course not, but your post conveys that so worth a rant.

Last edited by jcm9000; Oct 14, 2015 at 7:23 am
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I agree that BA hasn't exactly covered itself in glory here, and even if not knowing the entire menu, the crew member could have handled it better, but if something like this stands out and is enough to trigger your first ever rant, there must be plenty that BA is doing right.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
A tad unfair, on the job training is all part of learning.

There was a newbie serving us in our Lufty F flight who was clearly nervous. Her superiors were useless at mentoring her which led to her making even more mistakes. I felt sorry for her.
It's unfair to expect CC to know the basics of what's offered on the menu in the cabin they are serving? You are joking, I hope.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:39 am

I understand life went on. I'm assuming this is some type of wind up.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Passenger asks for specific drink.
2. Crew is confused.
3. Crew asks colleague.
4. Colleague fetches the ingredient.
5. Passenger served.

It's called training. My guess is that crew do have a list of everything, are trained, but may not have 100% infallible memory. Thus, they ask a more senior crew member who makes it right. Perhaps with more poise, a more senior crew member would have thanked the passenger and then quietly asked another crew member for the information. But, the difference is hardly significant.

This isn't even a first world problem. It's not a problem.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
Ir reminds me of the time a few years ago onboard a US flight to Charlotte , when the chap next to me asked the FA for a 'muddy water' - she didn't have a clue what was , and said in all her years of flying ( it looked like a lot) , it was the first time she had heard of it.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
This is a common thing. Many BA CC do not know what a Kir Royale is. My wife used to ask for it but now she does not bother any longer. Not a big issue. But it is weird since it is on the menu. Remember that the CC are there mainly for your safety. As long as they do not panic too much in case of an emergency I think we are OK.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Often1
This isn't even a first world problem. It's not a problem.
Not in your eyes, clearly. Doesn't make it okay for everyone though.

The menu of what's offered isn't extensive, and crew - in any cabin they are serving - should have a basic familiarity with what's on the menu, in order to deliver a service.

I'm generally a defender of BA and crew on here, but this apologists view that it's okay for crew to not know what's on offer isn't okay, IMO. Even though this is clearly a minor issue.

There is a wider issue here with someone with such little CC experience serving in a premium cabin, but that's the way of things with BA and staff turnover on Mixed Fleet, it seems.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Re the suggestion that CC 'work their way up the cabins', I think what actually happens is that the more senior CC choose which cabin they work in. Some prefer WT to CW because the passengers are often a bit livelier and more fun.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by zeltergiset
Re the suggestion that CC 'work their way up the cabins', I think what actually happens is that the more senior CC choose which cabin they work in. Some prefer WT to CW because the passengers are often a bit livelier and more fun.
And less persnickety and prone to needless complaints.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: All Expired... :-(
Am I the only one that just had to google "Kir Royale"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.