Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1A and 1K in First - Gold/Silver

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scillyisles
1A and 1 K on the A380 have one advantage in that they are very private. There are however quite a few disadvantages namely
- they are both next to the front toilets the bulkhead of which is at your feet. You will most probably feel and hear the toilet flushing. You might also be disturbed by passengers coming and going to the toilet.
- they are both next to understairs cupboards that are used extensively by the crew during the flight which can be disruptive. On every BA A380 I have flown the latches on these cupboards rattle incessantly which can also be disruptive to sleep.
- on one A380 we flew, the cabin crew were using a curtained off area in front of 1A during the night for fairly loud discussions which my other half had to get up and ask them to be quiet.
Overall, the better seats in F on an A380 are 2A and 3A or 2K 3K if you want a window view or the central ones if you do not care.
I believe you will be allowed access to the Concorde Room in Singapore based on your incoming flight being in F - you would most probably have to show them your boarding card.
You will not need to clear customs at Singapore but will need to clear security as all security at Singapore is at the boarding gate.
All passengers from the incoming BA15 from London have to deplane at Singapore.
thanks for that info. Going to have a look at 3K now to see if still available. ^
Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:08 pm

1A and 1 K on the A380 have one advantage in that they are very private. There are however quite a few disadvantages namely
- they are both next to the front toilets the bulkhead of which is at your feet. You will most probably feel and hear the toilet flushing. You might also be disturbed by passengers coming and going to the toilet.
- they are both next to understairs cupboards that are used extensively by the crew during the flight which can be disruptive. On every BA A380 I have flown the latches on these cupboards rattle incessantly which can also be disruptive to sleep.
- on one A380 we flew, the cabin crew were using a curtained off area in front of 1A during the night for fairly loud discussions which my other half had to get up and ask them to be quiet.
Overall, the better seats in F on an A380 are 2A and 3A or 2K 3K if you want a window view or the central ones if you do not care.
In my LHR-SIN trip last month in A380 F, I was a little concerned that 1K was the only window seat available and these 'disturbances' could otherwise affect a smooth flight. My concerns were completely unfounded.

1K for me was quiet and secluded. I couldn't see the passenger in 2F even if I stretched my neck. I never heard anyone flushing the toilet (it's not like, from where I was seated, my head was immediately next to the toilet wall). And the front of curtain was empty throughout the flight (noone I saw used the stairs, in contrast to it being "used extensively"). 1A and 1K would be my preferred seat.

In fact the only annoying thing was a constantly squealing (yelping!) toddler in 2K.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
In my LHR-SIN trip last month in A380 F, I was a little concerned that 1K was the only window seat available and these 'disturbances' could otherwise affect a smooth flight. My concerns were completely unfounded.

1K for me was quiet and secluded. I couldn't see the passenger in 2F even if I stretched my neck. I never heard anyone flushing the toilet (it's not like, from where I was seated, my head was immediately next to the toilet wall). And the front of curtain was empty throughout the flight (noone I saw used the stairs, in contrast to it being "used extensively"). 1A and 1K would be my preferred seat.

In fact the only annoying thing was a constantly squealing (yelping!) toddler in 2K.
Glad you enjoyed your time in 1K - neither of us would chose 1A or 1K if 2A/K were available. I did point out in my post that 1 A and 1K were very private which seems to be your main point.
The particular flight we had the problem with cabin crew noise in front of 1A was BA11 to Singapore.
A couple of corrections
- I never said the stairs were used extensively - they are not. I stated that the cupboards under the stairs near to 1A and 1K are used by the crew and that the latches on these often rattle. I have travelled on almost all BA380s and they often seem to rattle. I might add that Qantas also has this problem on their A380.
- I never said or implied your head was close to the toilet. I do not tend to use earplugs on a flight and am quite tall so my feet will touch the toilet bulkhead wall which is at your feet. You can definitely feel and hear the toilet flush. I guess if you are short and use earplugs this might not be an issue.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

I got changed to 3K incidentally so we are now in 2K and 3K. Quite happy at that tbh.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
.....I stated that the cupboards under the stairs near to 1A and 1K are used by the crew and that the latches on these often rattle. I have travelled on almost all BA380s and they often seem to rattle. I might add that Qantas also has this problem on their A380.....
I've had the exact same problem: rattling latches opposite 1K on different 380s. The crew are lazy about locking the cupboard - the lock is almost at floor level, so they avoid having to bend over to do so. As soon as I complain, they lock it and the rattling stops, but then I have to "monitor" the situation and complain again when a different crew member slips up. Also, they have been slack about checking that the curtain is fully closed with the velcro strip near the top, so that light floods in from the spartan galley area.

I agree it's best to avoid 1K as the crew reserve that same cupboard for their own use and it can become a small irritant. The 1A cupboard seems to be used less, but has similar problems - toilet with mildly audible flushing and people traffic.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:33 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by dolfinco
Can i please ask if i am flying LHR-SIN-SYD and the LHR-SIN leg is in F but the SIN-SYD is in J will i be allowed access to Concorde Bar in SIN based on the flight i have arrived on long haul rather than the one im about to get onto ?

Also, can you please advise if i need to clear customs/security moving from BA11 to BA15 and am i right in saying I will be joining a plane with already boarded passengers who have just flown from London or is everyone off loaded from the BA15 then reloaded after a clean up etc.
I believe that although you have done LHR-SIN in F, and your onward flight on BA15 is J, you are not allowed into the Concorde Bar at SIN, you would have to be flying F all the way to SYD to get that little privelege.

You will have to clear security at the holding bay area to embark onto the SIN-SYD flight, the lounge staff will advise on when to leave the lounge to make your way down to security.^ Have a great flight
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum
What would happen if for example 1A/1K are the only seats available in the cabin and two non golds book F tickets? Will they be allocated to the 1st row?

I'm curious as am on a F flight to NRT in Feb and there are 4 vacant seats including 1A/K and wondered what would happen if a silver card holder booked those four remaining seats. Would they get access to the 'reserved' seats?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Ruth4325
What would happen if for example 1A/1K are the only seats available in the cabin and two non golds book F tickets? Will they be allocated to the 1st row?

I'm curious as am on a F flight to NRT in Feb and there are 4 vacant seats including 1A/K and wondered what would happen if a silver card holder booked those four remaining seats. Would they get access to the 'reserved' seats?
No, row 1 stays blocked until just before check in opens. In your scenario the silver card holder would not be able to select seats on their booking.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by LCY8737
No, row 1 stays blocked until just before check in opens. In your scenario the silver card holder would not be able to select seats on their booking.
So would BA sell the seats and not offer a seat assignment in F? If I do a dummy booking on my flight I could purchase the remaining 4 F tickets, so just wondering what seats would be allocated.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Ruth4325
So would BA sell the seats and not offer a seat assignment in F? If I do a dummy booking on my flight I could purchase the remaining 4 F tickets, so just wondering what seats would be allocated.
yes, being able to preassign a seat is never guaranteed. In fact, ba will even oversell F by 1 so even a GCH/GGL/Prem might not be able to preassign. Also no preassignment if you book within 48 hours of flying.

of course in the case you describe, 1A-K would likely become available at olci.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.