Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Indelaware
And there is reason to consider any of those things dear. Money, passport, IDs, credit cards, and cellular phone can all be replaced too.

One's body, one's intellect, one's integrity, and one's memory, not to mention one's life, one's family, and one's friends... those are things of true value.
Of course, but what I listed is more difficult to replace and more necessary in the very short term, and often easy enough to include when evacuating the much more important one's body, one's intellect, one's integrity, one's memory, and one's life so that one may enjoy one's family and friends for at least one more day. Having been involved in an emergency situation before (not on an aircraft) and not having had my phone, I was alright enough, but I would have left even without my glasses, were I not fortunate enough to have had them on when the emergency occurred.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by craz
If its to be totaled theres a boneyard just down the I-15 in Cali (VCV). But they would need to bring a spare engine so they can fly it there
Actually, there are several active boneyards in the area and VCV is not the closest:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=las-IGM...w&MS=wls&DU=nm

If the aircraft is airworthy but is nonetheless to be scraped, there may be no need for a second engine; it might be possible to obtain a single-engine ferry permit.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Too soon to start about EC261 and avios compensation, I presume ?

Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
And there is reason to consider any of those things dear. Money, passport, IDs, credit cards, and cellular phone can all be replaced too.

One's body, one's intellect, one's integrity, and one's memory, not to mention one's life, one's family, and one's friends... those are things of true value.
That's certainly very true, however as long as one has placed these items in their pockets well in advance, they really do not detract in any way from one's ability to evacuate the aircraft as fast as they possibly can.

Seems well worth it to avoid the enormous headache to come if you lose all your IDs, credit cards, passport, phone, etc.

Plus, I want my cell phone safely in my pocket and ready to go so I can immediately contact loved ones once I am clear of the aircraft and in a safe place. I wouldn't want to put someone through the agonizing silence as they watch pictures of my burning aircraft on BBC or CNN and can't get in touch with me.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA 3MM, UA 1MM
Deleted

Last edited by Discovery Bay; Sep 8, 2015 at 7:39 pm Reason: Difficulty of posting image
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FT mobile site is going nuts. Sorry.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Local Las Vegas news reported that 16 people were admitted to Sunrise Hospital from this flt.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:44 pm

Not sure why you suggest that the aircraft is not airworthy. It may or may not be, but I haven't found any photos to suggest that damage to the airframe is anything other than smoke. Could simply be a case of swap the engine, give it a good cleaning, and return to service. Or it could be that the engine fire caused actual damage to the airframe. We'll know soon.
I strongly doubt that.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
Not sure why you suggest that the aircraft is not airworthy. It may or may not be, but I haven't found any photos to suggest that damage to the airframe is anything other than smoke. Could simply be a case of swap the engine, give it a good cleaning, and return to service. Or it could be that the engine fire caused actual damage to the airframe. We'll know soon.
Pics aren't too clear but the fuselage skin looks damaged to me (heat) and possibly the leading edge inboard of the engine (impact). Reports also of windows melting. I expect there are holes in inboard engine cowlings and possibly fuselage.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
That's not just an engine fire, there's fuel alight under the wing.
Guess what engines run on ?

The engine is destroyed. Seen some pics and it looks like maybe a fan broke off or something. Of course there will be oil and fuel leaking on the ground but the FP will have shut it down immediately. That starves the fire.

Planes can still take off and land safely with failures like this.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Guess what engines run on ?

The engine is destroyed. Seen some pics and it looks like maybe a fan broke off or something. Of course there will be oil and fuel leaking on the ground but the FP will have shut it down immediately. That starves the fire.

Planes can still take off and land safely with failures like this.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

There's damage to the inboard side of the engine (nowhere near any major fuel pipes) and a fuel fire on the ground on that side of the engine.

I'm well aware of how jet engines are supposed to fail and this isn't it.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Too soon to start about EC261 and avios compensation, I presume ?

Poor pax got accommodated at Orleans hotel according to Guardian article. Adds insult to injury.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's damage to the inboard side of the engine (nowhere near any major fuel pipes) and a fuel fire on the ground on that side of the engine.

I'll try and find the picture. Far be it from me to question your expertise.

Found it...

Looks pretty shot to hell. How come it looks exploded if there is nothing there to explode ? Serious question. Not trying to be smart.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold

This. I'm quite intrigued to find out what happened here. Hard to tell from the pics I've seen but could be a brake/tyre fire also?

Either way doesn't seem a typical engine failure. If reports are true that it happened somewhere near V1 as mentioned earlier there are many lucky people in LAS tonight!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
Poor pax got accommodated at Orleans hotel according to Guardian article. Adds insult to injury.
Hence why I said make sure one has your credit cards and ID on you (this post in jest compared to my prior).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.