Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2015, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
There was no sense of panic in that case. There was no visible fire, no smoke. I am sure that in the mind of many pax it was just 'we need to get out using the slides because there are no stairs '. They don't all speak English and they don't all live on planes or FT.

I am also quite confident that an evacuation without panic but with some people taking luggage is safer than panic and 'flames licking at feet'... If the flames are licking your feet, you're probably already passed out from the fumes.
The other thing i find strange about that video is the lack of direction or organisation at the bottom. Whilst i get there was no visible signs of fire or anything, something must have been deemed seriously enough wrong to evacuate this way, yet everybody gets to the bottom and just mulls about.

Im not sure what the SOP is but surely if you evacuate using a slide, the intention should be to get as far away from the plane as possible. If your car caught fire in a petrol station, you wouldnt get out and stand the other side of the pump. ^
Old Sep 14, 2015, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by dolfinco
The other thing i find strange about that video is the lack of direction or organisation at the bottom. Whilst i get there was no visible signs of fire or anything, something must have been deemed seriously enough wrong to evacuate this way, yet everybody gets to the bottom and just mulls about.

Im not sure what the SOP is but surely if you evacuate using a slide, the intention should be to get as far away from the plane as possible. If your car caught fire in a petrol station, you wouldnt get out and stand the other side of the pump. ^
Same mentality as the people that get to the top/bottom of the escalator and just stop one step after getting off.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by dolfinco

Once at the bottom of the slide, if possible, walk into the wind. That will reduce the danger from any fire behind you and it is what we teach our crews to do. Obey any instructions from those on the ground like the fire services but in doubt walk into the wind. If you don't know where the wind is walk to the nose of the aircraft and walk forward, you won't go far wrong.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Oh, I thought this was another one of your leg-pulling comments you normally put in each post. I've looked the report, but still can't see the CAA's demand - are you really sure they did this?
Are we quibbling about the general need or who specifically said it, which may have got lost in the mists of time? For example Airbus have said:

An assertive cabin crew that uses short, clear commands will have an immediate impact on the rapidity of the cabin evacuation. The cabin crew must be assertive in their use of commands, and, if necessary, be prepared to use some physical force to evacuate passengers from the aircraft.
Even if CAA said something general in relation to MAN, they could be simply reinforcing the fact that they recognise the value of the actions of the crew and pointing out to other carriers that they strive for the same. It isn't clear to me that such a comment would be saying the MAN crew failed in any way, which seems to be the inference drawn above.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 6:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by bealine
Rubbish! In a life or death situation, anything goes as long as "minimum force" is used to cause the desired effect.

In an aircraft, or maritime, catastrophe no court anywhere in the world would award damages or compensation where minimum force was used in order to save lives if it was "for the greater good."

I suggest giving someone a sharp kick up the jacksy when they are hesitating is perfectly acceptable.
I think the courts would take the view that "reasonable force" is acceptable and that could amount to more than 'minimum force'.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 6:53 am

Sorry, it's not "made up" - it is an example of where assertiveness is required which is used in many a crew training session.

The report did not say the crew had acted impeccably (although they probably did). The newspapers reported that. The report said said "the little evidence that there was indicated that they carried out their duties to the best of their ability" - not quite the same thing at all. Indeed, the recommendation came afterwards to distribute experienced crew throughout the aircraft as the crew at the rear of the aircraft were both inexperienced.

If you wish to read the full report, it is here:

https://assets.digital.cabinet-offic...988_G-BGJL.pdf
OK so let's note what the report really said.

Firstly "a number of survivors clearly owe their lives to the direct actions of the purser and the No4 stewardess".

Secondly "such evidence that there was indicated that the No2 and No3 stewardesses carried out their duties to the best of their abilities" (your quote is inaccurate). Although they were the least experienced this was "unlikely to have significantly influenced the outcome".

A reasonable conclusion from this would be that the cabin crew performed well, something further emphasised by the fact that all the cabin crew were recognised for their bravery, sadly two of them posthumously.

Returning to the point you still haven't produced any evidence to support your comment that "the CAA demanded that airlines took on a new breed of cabin crew - those able to take charge, assert themselves and command". All the enquiry said was that inexperienced crew should be distributed through the aircraft. Unless I'm mistaken I can't see there are any references to any such demands or anything that resembles that.

So unless you have something else to show us to back up your case I think it would be preferable to avoid denigrating others, particularly people who sadly are not here to defend themselves.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
The issue about passengers taking their carry on baggage with them is getting a lot of attention here in Europe. There have been several reports in papers etc. Here's one from the Swiss site of Bluewin (Swisscom), which is in French only:

https://www.bluewin.ch/fr/infos/fait...gages-a-m.html
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
i was amused by Flightglobal's take - in the absence of any hard facts ... let's talk about bags !

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...raft-e-416640/
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
let's talk about bags !
Talk ? That was the single most useless piece of wasted internet space I ever saw... Is it not finished yet ? A draft ? Is flightglobal a 14 year old's blog ?
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Is flightglobal a 14 year old's blog?
Is this a serious question?
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is this a serious question?
Er... Based on the front page advertising this nonsensical article, a video of a plane in Star Wars theme and a report (just read the linked article) that was a summary of publicly available titbits, I was wondering... That is bad of me, I guess ?

If it is a industry standard site, I apologise. Never knew they even existed.

Ah... I know their products. Bit silly of me indeed. Maybe they should invest in the 'magazine' element of their site...
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

I've never heard it called that before!

It's a serious site, you may be more familiar with their magazine "Flight International". It's an essential read if you are in the industry. Journalism at its very best.

One of their editors, David Learmount is frequently on the TV - whenever there is an aviation related incident.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:47 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Following the British Airtours Manchester Airport fire a good few years ago, the CAA demanded that airlines took on a new breed of cabin crew
Sorry, it's not "made up" - it is an example of where assertiveness is required which is used in many a crew training session.
I ask again then, where is the evidence of your claim above? Just to be clear, I've bolded the part I'm talking about.

It's not in the recommendations of the AAIB (the link you gave). So, where did it come from?
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vibrex
I've never heard it called that before!

It's a serious site, you may be more familiar with their magazine "Flight International". It's an essential read if you are in the industry. Journalism at its very best.

One of their editors, David Learmount is frequently on the TV - whenever there is an aviation related incident.
Yes, it was always on a table somewhere. I do feel a bit silly and have removed the gun from my hip...

Apologies to the people at Flight Global. (Still 2 very strange articles though. )
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Just realised the irony of BA's current lounge wifi password.... I'm not a superstitious man but I might think twice about flying to the next city they change it to!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.