Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Has anyone ever seen a report or something on how BA's Yin/Yang layout effects the speed of evacuation ? I can imagine that it can be more confusing, especially in low-vis situations.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC silver
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Has anyone ever seen a report or something on how BA's Yin/Yang layout effects the speed of evacuation ? I can imagine that it can be more confusing, especially in low-vis situations.
Well it is approved by the CAA, and in any case, either forward or backwards out of club will take you to an exit except the upper deck on the 747.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by ACARS
Well it is approved by the CAA, and in any case, either forward or backwards out of club will take you to an exit except the upper deck on the 747.
Yes, but still it may cause people to move in opposite directions I guess. Especially since not all pax are as familiar with the product. Not a critique btw, just curious if someone ever studied it instead of xAAs only approving it.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by MADPhil
That is the fundamental problem. If you have people near the usable exits who are taking their time and people at the other end with flames licking at their heels then you have the recipe for real disaster.
Is it considered good or bad practice for captain or crew to say there is a fire, and that situation could rapidly deteriorate so please get a shufty on? I can imagine studies suggest that it is better to preserve order by not being overly anxious, but maybe not .
Old Sep 13, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Dean Cooperfield_West
You would look like a fashion reject with some ridiculous, £6 strap around your necking carrying your essential document. The better option is to invest in some decent clothing with discrete, inside-zipped pockets for you to keep your important documents.
Try wearing enough pockets for LAS' 100F weather.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 1:38 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Is it considered good or bad practice for captain or crew to say there is a fire, and that situation could rapidly deteriorate so please get a shufty on? I can imagine studies suggest that it is better to preserve order by not being overly anxious, but maybe not .
The evacuation page in the back page of the QRH has a set announcement that the flight crew make. No mention of fire or any other reason is included - at least in any QRH I have seen.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by gengar
I just checked weekly reports for a few Strip hotels of varying quality and several were not sold out on the 8th. Whether they had enough rooms for 159 pax and whether BA was willing to pay for them is a different matter, but they certainly did not have to resort to the Orleans.
What should they have "resorted" to? Which hotels rated higher than #45 on TripAdvisor would have met your discerning tastes?

Is this a British thing?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
What should they have "resorted" to? Which hotels rated higher than #45 on TripAdvisor would have met your discerning tastes?

Is this a British thing?
Bellagio^
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Did they say what time afternoon tea was served at the Orleans? Probably a deciding factor.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DenverBrian

Is this a British thing?
No. (Source - I'm British )

It's a DYKWIA thing. Personally, whilst I normally stay somewhere mid-Strip, in a situation like this I'd be quite happy with Orleans; looking at their website the rooms look great for an overnight. That said, I do note that they don't come with a butler
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:58 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
In that situation I think I would be happy with any hotel room as opposed to a hospital room!
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
In that situation I think I would be happy with any hotel room as opposed to a hospital room!
Indeed, anything not as cramped as a coffin would be a winner in my book! I am a nervous flyer anyway.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JamieT
Indeed, anything not as cramped as a coffin would be a winner in my book! I am a nervous flyer anyway.
I recommend staying out of CW then.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by bioblot
Here is one in Denver. Despite the crew repeatedly shouting "leave your belongings" people still open the overheads to get their bags. Some do then seem to change their mind. One chap even has time to put his coat on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onxbArThaHI

Wow that evacuation took an age! It's already well in progress when the video starts and people are still leaving at the end.

Aircraft is an A321.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
+1

Orleans would not be my first choice (or tenth choice) but after what happened, I would be very VERY happy to arrive at the Orleans, check into my room and head to the bar!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.