Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyoff
The facility to choose your main course meal before you fly (when travelling First, Club World and World Traveller Plus) is available on the following routes on flights departing from London:

London Heathrow to Accra, Amman, Atlanta, Austin, Bahrain, Baltimore, Bangalore, Bangkok, Beijing, Beirut, Boston, Buenos Aires, Cairo, Calgary, Cape Town, Chengdu, Chicago, Dallas, Delhi, Denver, Doha, Dubai, Durban, Hong Kong, Houston, Hyderabad, Jeddah, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Lagos, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Madras, Mexico, Miami, Montreal, Mumbai, Muscat, Nairobi, Narita, Nassau, New York (JFK and Newark), Philadelphia, Phoenix, Rio De Janeiro, Riyadh, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose (California), Sao Paulo, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Tehran, Tel Aviv, Tokyo (Haneda and Narita), Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington DC.

London Gatwick to Antigua, Barbados, Bermuda, Cancun, Cape Town, Costa Rica, New York (JFK), Kingston, Lima, Male, Mauritius, Orlando, Punta Cana, Saint Lucia, San Jose (Costa Rica), Tampa, and Trinidad and Tobago

Meal selection will be from the on-board menu; pre-selection is available between 30 days and 24 hours before your flight

Meal selection is only for the main course of the main meal. However, you can click on the menu link to see the full main meal menu.

Starters and desserts cannot be pre-ordered. Items from the second meals cannot be viewed or pre-ordered.

Print Wikipost

The main course pre-order choice thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I am off to SFO on the 21st and the same main courses are offered. Sadly no turkey substitution...
Correction, looking back at my records I actually traveled on the 23rd so it must only be that tight window up until Christmas day. It is a shame because I quite like the turkey and find it hard to get anything other than rib of beef in California on Christmas day.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Gomac
Correction, looking back at my records I actually traveled on the 23rd so it must only be that tight window up until Christmas day. It is a shame because I quite like the turkey and find it hard to get anything other than rib of beef in California on Christmas day.
Ah, thanks for coming back on that. I was about to email YouFirst in case the wrong menu had been loaded by mistake. Shame, as for various reasons I'm not blown away by the main courses this time so would have appreciated a turkey option too. Oh well I am sure I will get through the flight!
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Very nice Turkey, sprouts and gravy in the LAX Flagship lounge last night! A good start to Thanks Giving. My first time in LAX lounge since the changes - impressed.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
You're right it showed up on the pre-order last year when we travelled on 21st. Yes it's quite a good menu. Will probably go for the duck. Any experience with BA and duck?
yes, not this specific duck but other duck dishes which were good! turbot sounds nice too!
Gomac likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
Originally Posted by Royalscot
LHR - EZE December Club Menu

In-flight menu

BA245 London to Buenos Aires 22:10

See the menus below for the meals you'll be served on your flight.

Starters

• Severn and Wye Scottish smoked salmon with pickled shallot and horseradish cream
  • Cream of Jerusalem artichoke soup, trompette de la mort & crispy pancetta
  • Fresh salad of pearl barley, grape & shaved cauliflower

Main

• Seared fillet of North Atlantic cod, braised puy lentils and chorizo stew
  • Home Counties venison stew with rosemary dumplings, wilted kale and roasted chestnuts
  • Gnudi in Arrabiata sauce with ricotta and cherry tomato

Dessert

• Lemon and raspberry almond slice with raspberry confit
  • Warm chocolate and Walnut brownie with vanilla crème anglaise
  • Belton Farm Red Fox Normandy Camembert Wensleydale Blue served with pecan nuts, biscuit and Qunice Jelly

Close
Originally Posted by ttama
All the desserts contain nuts. I wonder why they do that?
And 2 of the 3 mains are “stew”.
This also our menu on Dec 21st to Miami and is very disappointing as there is nothing on this menu which I would choose to eat.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:04 am

I have almostvthe same menu December 21 to Toronto but one extra appetizer (Wild mushroom and celeriac quiche with caramelised pear chutney)

and another dessert (Chocolate fondant with orange coulis)

I too am struggling to pick something for a main... venison is like the one meat I don’t eat ... I know this is such a trivial thing to complain about but yet here we are lol glad I’m not alone.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
We are flying to Chicago on the 22nd and have the same CW menu as above with the quiche as well

However for the main course, instead of the venison stew we have:
  • A Traditional Christmas dish of Roast turkey, pigs in blankets roasted potatoes, chestnuts sprouts with rosemary jus
For dessert, we also have the option of mince pies.

Time for turkey, I think!
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by expateacher
I have almost the same menu December 21 to Toronto but one extra appetizer (Wild mushroom and celeriac quiche with caramelised pear chutney)

I've seen a LHR-JNB that has these additions, plus the dessert list also adds "Blueberries and raspberries".

It does look like 22 December is the day on which the Christmas dinner is first served, as a LHR-SIN that day has the same as that LHR-JNB, but "A Traditional Christmas dish of Roast turkey, pigs in blankets roasted potatoes ,chestnuts sprouts with rosemary jus" replaces the venison stew, and mince pies replacing the chocolate fondant, as browa161 reports for the ORD.

I did, however, give myself a small heart attack when I tried to look up "Gnudi", but misspelt it in the search.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
I went to select our meals yesterday for our F flight to SJC in 10 days time and the menu has disappeared and just the standard special meals are available. Checked again this morning and it's still the case. Is anyone else having issues?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by essexadventurer
I went to select our meals yesterday for our F flight to SJC in 10 days time and the menu has disappeared and just the standard special meals are available. Checked again this morning and it's still the case. Is anyone else having issues?
I'm flying in F to BOS on Wednesday and have the same issue "due to a technical problem". A little disappointing given meal selection is one of the perks of flying in F/J.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:02 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by expateacher
I have almostvthe same menu December 21 to Toronto but one extra appetizer (Wild mushroom and celeriac quiche with caramelised pear chutney)

I too am struggling to pick something for a main... venison is like the one meat I don’t eat ... I know this is such a trivial thing to complain about but yet here we are lol glad I’m not alone.
I too would be gutted with this menu choice. Who puts two stews on a three choice menu? In this day and age it’s ridiculous that pre-order is limited to the choices. I remember flying PE with first choice in 2004 and you had a choice of 10 mains on pre-order
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by essexadventurer
Originally Posted by chrisblore
I'm flying in F to BOS on Wednesday and have the same issue "due to a technical problem". A little disappointing given meal selection is one of the perks of flying in F/J.
I’ve just logged in to an upcoming flight and was able to pre-order. Perhaps worth trying again and if no joy clear your cookies and try again?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by simon stingray

And 2 of the 3 mains are “stew”.
This also our menu on Dec 21st to Miami and is very disappointing as there is nothing on this menu which I would choose to eat.
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
I too would be gutted with this menu choice. Who puts two stews on a three choice menu? In this day and age it’s ridiculous that pre-order is limited to the choices. I remember flying PE with first choice in 2004 and you had a choice of 10 mains on pre-order
Not sure 2 of the 3 mains are really stew. The chorizo stew features as part of a dish in which the fillet of cod looks like the main event. I haven't see the dish, but sounds like the "stew" is more of a sauce or accompaniment to the fish and lentils. The venison stew is a cost-saver of a dish, I suspect venison ("home counties" or otherwise) is used to make it seem more premium. That said, at least stews are less likely to face ruin in the BA onboard ovens, not the worst choice if you like them.

I do agree about the shortage of choices. The initial fanfare around improved CW catering promised increase of choice through pre-order alongside the reduction in onboard main choices from 4 to 3. I took that to mean that there would be additional choices via pre-order that would not be available onboard. So far, only the reduction in number of choices has happened...and of course you still can't pre-order on a flight from any outstation.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: FB Platinum
LHR-KUL 23 December

Ours is almost identical to some of the 22 Dec menus except for chicken instead of venison:
  • Stir fried chicken with red peppers, pak choi and fried garlic with steamed rice

I think I will go for that as it sounds pretty safe? It’s our 1st time flying BA so all suggestions are very welcome!

Also maybe not the right place to ask but my daughter aged 12 wants to order a child meal, does anyone know if this is possible or is the age restriction 11 and under?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

I’ve just logged in to an upcoming flight and was able to pre-order. Perhaps worth trying again and if no joy clear your cookies and try again?
Still no luck despite using different browsers and the app. Have called You First who also could see no menu for the flight loaded and have reported the issue to IT. Their advise was to leave it a few hours and try again...
Tobias-UK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.