Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX The Pier F - the new CCR?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:46 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
People who prefer GF to Pier F should be subject to a breathalyser to ensure they're sober enough to opine IMO

Cabanas vs. the day room set up with CX - no contest (though not sure if CX have fixed the aircon yet)
Showers - CCR and GF are woeful in comparison
Service - CX win again
Dining - CX win
Business centre - prefer CX, but not as much in it
Power socket availability - CX again (nicely concealed in the tables)
Location - CCR wins! Like having CCR in T5B given distance from main security
Booze - not qualified to comment
Seating - I get ukgooner's point, but any visit I've had to Pier F it has seemed so tranquil compared to GF (CCR less of a difference)
Interesting. You've picked features I don't care about:-
Showers/cabanas - don't use
Service - quite like getting my own
Dining - usually only want a snack
Power - well charged but assume power is ok in both
Seating - maintain better and more space in GF

My main point was that in terms of food and drink options, I preferred GF, and along with somewhere nice to sit, in a nice ambiance - well that's 90% of the points. Even if I wanted a shower, I'm not sure I'd give it so much weight everything else suddenly became secondary - but granted the CX bathrooms and cabanas are very stylish.

So no, the idea that only the CCR is compatible is laughable.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by phol
The CCR location is great as it takes you away from the throngs of passengers/shoppers in the terminal, but if you are in F you're almost guaranteed to have to trek over to T5B or C to get anywhere. HKG doesn't have such a problem as it is a much better designed/run airport, especially with an e-channel card. People must remember The Pier is intended as a T5B type secondary lounge for the far away flights.

Personally I like the CCR seating area and bar, but the rest of the CCR facilities and other lounges at LHR are woeful. The last two times I've been in there (T5 and T3) I've walked straight out and gone elsewhere.
Woeful? Really?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:05 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
re views / discussion on the Pier, thought I'd 'plug' these two:

discussion on all HKG lounges and picture reviews from me: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...hong-kong.html

Review and pics of the Pier as part of my TR: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ng-kong-5.html
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Woeful? Really?
Honestly I don't go through T5 much anymore, but i have had 2 visits over Christmas. Last time i went in:

CCR - shower/bathroom area looks like a council facility. Dirty plates left all over the balcony and no staff in sight. I stayed by the bar for a while and fancied some self serve so headed to GF.

GF - Most of the food was gone and looked like it been out for quite some time anyway More dirty plates everywhere and staff just standing chatting to each other. As it was absolutely heaving I perched on a small bench by the food area for a few minutes before giving up and leaving.

GC North - from what i could see the only real food available was a bacon roll and some bread. Again, plates everywhere and not a seat or working staff member in sight. I thought about sitting in the computer area but didn't want to interrupt someone's full volume Skype conversation.

On the other hand, I rate the Arrivals lounge highly.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by ukgooner

My main point was that in terms of food and drink options, I preferred GF, and along with somewhere nice to sit, in a nice ambiance - well that's 90% of the points. Even if I wanted a shower, I'm not sure I'd give it so much weight everything else suddenly became secondary - but granted the CX bathrooms and cabanas are very stylish.

Why don't you wait in the airport's public areas then? It seems to meet all your requirements.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:51 am

Programs: Meh
To put things in perspective, BA is entirely average these days across the board, which is my biggest bugbear. I wish they would try to compete with the likes of CX on hard and soft product, but WW has made his bed it seems and wishes to continue with last gen CW seats for example. Lounge quality is acceptable, not as good CX, but a hell of a lot better than AA for example. That's it in a nut shell for me.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by ukgooner

Your original post said you'd not been to the new Pier lounge. The new lounge seating much more spaced out than the old one. Granted, alcoholic beverages are not self-service, but waiter service is pretty good there. Snacks are plentiful, fresh and available in the pantry. Finding power in GF is a challenge, in the Pier it is wherever you sit.

And most importantly, well-designed bathrooms that are kept incredibly clean.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As usual the discussion has descended into ridiculousness with comments such as 'dump' and 'woeful' being used. These people have obviously led a privileged life.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Well, I'm going to be trying out the HKG lounges and both CCRs next month.
From what I've seen and experienced, I did like having a bath in The Wing.
Food much the same although can't beat black pudding etc for breakfast at LHR. Good selection of foods in the HKG lounges to pick from and I found it easy enough to visit all the lounges as they all offer something different.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
As usual the discussion has descended into ridiculousness with comments such as 'dump' and 'woeful' being used. These people have obviously led a privileged life.
And as usual posters who hardly ever set foot in an aircraft let alone any of the lounges being discussed have joined the discussion
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Your original post said you'd not been to the new Pier lounge.
I am not saying this applies to ukgooner but we seem to have quite a few Walter Mitty armchair flyers on FT who post about things that they have no experience of be that lounges they have visited in their imagination or planes they took an imaginary flight on etc etc. We even have a poster in a certain South American country who seems to have no experience of any flying/lounges/planes etc who is a regular poster here.
FT is a great source of information where travellers can share real life experiences with other travellers and hopefully we all learn something. I know that I have certainly learned a lot from FT. Unfortunately, one has to learn to sift the wheat from the chaff in this process.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

And as usual posters who hardly ever set foot in an aircraft let alone any of the lounges being discussed have joined the discussion
Here we go again....so I've to keep quiet because I have no airline status and you have?

I've been in many different class of lounges over the years and yes, some have been better than others. That's to be expected as they serve completely different markets.
None of the lounges I've been could be called a 'dump' and only the one could ever be described as being 'woeful' and to be fair to AZ that lounge was only a temporary setup.
Any 'frequent flier' who has travelled a bit would almost certainly recognise that the T5 lounges are far from being woeful and none of them could be classed as a 'dump'. Which leads me to think some of those who frequent this forum under the guise of being frequent fliers are almost certainly not very well travelled.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Here we go again....so I've to keep quiet because I have no airline status and you have?

I've been in many different class of lounges over the years and yes, some have been better than others. That's to be expected as they serve completely different markets.
None of the lounges I've been could be called a 'dump' and only the one could ever be described as being 'woeful' and to be fair to AZ that lounge was only a temporary setup.
Any 'frequent flier' who has travelled a bit would almost certainly recognise that the T5 lounges are far from being woeful and none of them could be classed as a 'dump'. Which leads me to think some of those who frequent this forum under the guise of being frequent fliers are almost certainly not very well travelled.
No, but why comment on a thread about The Pier and The CCR if you have been in neither?

As I said upthread, the last couple of times I have been in BA's lounges I have left after a few minutes and gone to a cafe instead. T5 Galleries First was one of those, and for a supposed top end lounge that is woeful.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
No, but why comment on a thread about The Pier and The CCR if you have been in neither?

As I said upthread, the last couple of times I have been in BA's lounges I have left after a few minutes and gone to a cafe instead. T5 Galleries First was one of those, and for a supposed top end lounge that is woeful.
I hope you enjoyed the cafe. No airport cafe I have visited is a patch on GF.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite

I think you are living in another world. I don't think anyone in their right mind could describe T5 GF as woeful. Perhaps not meeting your particularly high expectations/standards maybe but woeful? You are having a laugh!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.