CX The Pier F - the new CCR?

Old Aug 21, 15, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
CX The Pier F - the new CCR?

This is now my third visit to The Pier F. It is a truly excellent lounge. Good restaurant standard food. Foot massage (great). Attentive staff. Really lovely showers. I would be happy-as-larry if they just carbon copied this for the new CCR when it is eventually refurbished. It is around the same size I guess if you include the bathrooms and terrace. Should be easily doable...

Oh and this is a really smart idea for having a load of plug sockets eveywhere but it still looking great:

Old Aug 21, 15, 6:05 am

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
If CCR got anywhere close to this I'd be happy! Only been once, but have another couple of trips through in December / January (less fussed about a quick connection as a result)
Old Aug 21, 15, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC: Gold
I had truffle pappardelle there last week. Amazing. It seemed as though they had put at least half a truffle in it (I'm sure that was a mistake).

About 6 years ago, I used to think GF food was better, but now they are way ahead of even the CCR.

I used the Concorde room on the outbound (using up a GUF2). I asked for soup which was the same muck from GF I think. Better champagne in the CCR though.

But, it's fair to say the GF and the CCR are at the end of their life cycle, whereas The Wing is at the start of its life cycle.
Old Aug 21, 15, 6:39 am

This lounge is so much better than the CCR. Though the CCR is 7 years in.
Old Aug 21, 15, 6:40 am
Original Poster

The Wing F is still a very very good lounge, especially the cabanas. The Pier F is superb. BA would do well to simply replicate it as the CCR. The bathrooms in particular are just poles apart. Agree the wine in the CCR is generally better than CX lounges but that's about the only positive for BA.
Old Aug 21, 15, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by richie_ja View Post
But, it's fair to say the GF and the CCR are at the end of their life cycle, whereas The Wing is at the start of its life cycle.
I don't think thats fair.

The quality of the materials and fitting used in the Wing both pre and post renovation is far superior to that used in the BA Lounges. Increased footfall in the BA lounges may make for quicker wear and tear, but one visit to each of the respective cabanas would highlight the cheap materials used throughout the BA lounges.
Old Aug 21, 15, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kgmm77 View Post
I don't think thats fair.

The quality of the materials and fitting used in the Wing both pre and post renovation is far superior to that used in the BA Lounges. Increased footfall in the BA lounges may make for quicker wear and tear, but one visit to each of the respective cabanas would highlight the cheap materials used throughout the BA lounges.
+1

The Pier F has exceptionally high quality furnishings. Chairs have hardwood legs, brass finishing, etc. that smack of money having been invested in top quality furniture that will easily last seven years plus. I wouldn't be disappointed to see any of the furnishings in the pier at a four seasons. If I saw anything from the CCR in a FS I might be forgiven for thinking I'd stumbled into the run down Hilton next door.
Old Aug 21, 15, 7:00 am

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
And the pier seems to have about 3x the floor area of CCR - feels massive.
Old Aug 21, 15, 7:45 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
I had a disappointingly short amount of time in there about three weeks ago while waiting for the CX253, same day I bumped into Angelina Jolie in Wing F

Sat at the bar, very nice too, had a pretty good vodka martini, better than the one in Wing F but not as good as the one I had in the QF lounge a short time later. I was the only person in the entire bar area for the half hour or so I was in there (lunchtime Sunday). Very civilised.
Old Aug 21, 15, 7:50 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by TabTraveller View Post
The Wing F is still a very very good lounge, especially the cabanas. The Pier F is superb. BA would do well to simply replicate it as the CCR. The bathrooms in particular are just poles apart. Agree the wine in the CCR is generally better than CX lounges but that's about the only positive for BA.
My complaint about the Wing F cabanas is that it's almost impossible to sleep in there, there are continual PA announcements piped in, you're not allowed to take glassware in there, and you're (supposedly) limited to 90 minutes. Add to that the fierce aircon in there and the lack of blankets, it's not a place you want to stay for long anyway. Very nice for a soak though.

The Pier F has sleeping rooms without PA announcements, but again I believe they are time limited, and it looks like there's little more than a curtain between you and the outside world.
Old Aug 21, 15, 7:56 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
The CCR would have the advantage of the terrace too. The main downside of the Pier is its in a big hole*!

*well ground level so lacks natural light/ views
Old Aug 21, 15, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Howard Long View Post
My complaint about the Wing F cabanas is that it's almost impossible to sleep in there, there are continual PA announcements piped in, you're not allowed to take glassware in there, and you're (supposedly) limited to 90 minutes. Add to that the fierce aircon in there and the lack of blankets, it's not a place you want to stay for long anyway. Very nice for a soak though.

The Pier F has sleeping rooms without PA announcements, but again I believe they are time limited, and it looks like there's little more than a curtain between you and the outside world.

Oh you're not? I've enjoyed a few nice baths at the Wing with a champagne glass in hand.
Old Aug 21, 15, 8:11 am

Programs: LF BA GOLD, LF HH Diamond, IHG Plat/AMB
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post
The CCR would have the advantage of the terrace too. The main downside of the Pier is its in a big hole*!

*well ground level so lacks natural light/ views
Have you been in the new Pier?

Plenty of natural light and views are great of planes at ground level. Vastly superior in nearly every way (exception wine selection). And I was travelling on a cheap economy redemption.....then again flying CX originating in HK is very expensive.
Old Aug 21, 15, 10:50 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
I had a fantastic stopover in the Pier F three weeks ago - great shower, nice dinner, drink at bar and in lounge with dessert.. A delight, and as late at night, not very busy at all! Perfect.
Old Aug 21, 15, 12:48 pm

If I may be so bold as to plug my report of a recent visit, which I have uploaded to the Pier thread in the CX forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post25301752

Search this Thread
Search Engine: