Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX The Pier F - the new CCR?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Quin
I would echo most of the overwhelmingly positive posts about this lounge - it certainly puts the CCR firmly into place on 95% of its setup - tastefully decorated, power points, spa, dining room, food, service etc...
However the one thing I feel is poor (compared to CCR) is the alcohol selection - top champagne is Veuve Cliquot or Moet rose ; no malt whiskys at all! Best blend is Johnnie Walker Black; best gin is Gordon's or Beefeaters; best vodka is Stolichnaya - compare these to the CCR offerings and they are well below what I would expect from a F class serving
IMO, the CX lounges in HKG don't come close to the CCR or BA FLounge at LHR in terms of: champagnes, wines & JW Blue...what a difference...as a result, I put the BA Lounges at LHR ahead of the CX lounges at HKG.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by nologic
IMO, the CX lounges in HKG don't come close to the CCR or BA FLounge at LHR in terms of: champagnes, wines & JW Blue...what a difference...as a result, I put the BA Lounges at LHR ahead of the CX lounges at HKG.
I think it really depends on where you're traveling from and what time you're there.

The new Pier F lounge at HKG has much better food than the CCR – hands down. If you're arriving from the U.S in the morning and have already enjoyed CX food and wine in F, then breakfast and lunch in the Pier are absolute perfection.

I agree that the quality of Champagne, wine and spirits in the CCR is superior, but everything else is better in HKG.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nologic
Are you serious? Sure the CCR may have a tad better wines and spirits, but the Pier isn't that far behind imho.

In my opinion, The Pier makes LHR CCR look like dump.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:11 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
+1

The Pier F has exceptionally high quality furnishings. Chairs have hardwood legs, brass finishing, etc. that smack of money having been invested in top quality furniture that will easily last seven years plus. I wouldn't be disappointed to see any of the furnishings in the pier at a four seasons. If I saw anything from the CCR in a FS I might be forgiven for thinking I'd stumbled into the run down Hilton next door.
The stuff in the CCR would last the best part of a decade too if the CX maintenance dept went over it with a fine tooth comb every few days repairing and cleaning every nick, scratch, scuff, mark or stain.

Also... The Peninsula run the catering for CX F lounges, not Sodexo, Aramark or whichever cheap, bargain basement prison/hospital food conglomerate serve up food in the CCR.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:16 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by amt
Also... The Peninsula run the catering for CX F lounges, not Sodexo, Aramark or whichever cheap, bargain basement prison/hospital food conglomerate serve up food in the CCR.
Hmmm, I think that's quite unfair. Food in the CCR has improved a lot of the past year and is actually very nice these days. Yes, there is always room for improvement, but I have few complaints.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:11 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Hmmm, I think that's quite unfair. Food in the CCR has improved a lot of the past year and is actually very nice these days. Yes, there is always room for improvement, but I have few complaints.
Surely a more accurate comparison should be with GF, given OWE can get into the pier on a cheap economy ticket. That puts everything in perspective when comparing.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 4:28 am

As usual on these types of comparison, personal expectations/requirements figure large.
1. We get the alcohol obsessed who look at the quality and quantity of alcohol served e.g. which serves the best champagne/malt whiskey etc etc and how much can they drink before boarding the plane.
2. We get the foodies who want a 4 star restaurant quality meal with quality wines.
3. We get the ambiance crowd who look at the quality/comfort of the surroundings as they wish to relax/chill before the flight. They might like a meal and or drink as well but are neither foodies or alcohol obsessed.

The CCR tends to get high marks from group 1 above - I guess after they have drunk enough alcohol they do not notice the distinctly average food nor the dilapidated furnishings etc.

I am probably in group 2 and 3 and on this basis the CCR is average at best and lounges like the Pier in HKG, the QF First Lounge in Sydney, the Private Room in Singapore are better for my expectations/requirements.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by scillyisles
1. We get the alcohol obsessed who look at the quality and quantity of alcohol served e.g. which serves the best champagne/malt whiskey etc etc and how much can they drink before boarding the plane.
slightly prejoritive way of talking about people that have different interests?

I'm in the BA F lounge just now in T5, and I haven't been to The Pier yet, only The Wing. But CX lounges just don't have the breadth or depth of drinks, and I'd also say the main seating area of Pier f is also rather underwhelming. GF has a lot of different places to go.

Pier F dining area is better than GF, but the food choices today at GF are better than I've had at Pier. (Salmon parcels very good).

Pier cocktail service is not something you can have in GF. The shower rooms at Pier are excellent.

Right now there's plenty of space at GF the wine bar is getting a lot of attention from staff, the table clearing less so.

In the round, both are good places to wait for a flight, but I actually prefer GF: I've enjoyed the food, and yes, I've enjoyed small taters of 3 very nice wines.

So I know this is OT given this was about Wing v CCR, but for those who said GF is the comparison, I'm very happy here.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by amt
The stuff in the CCR would last the best part of a decade too if the CX maintenance dept went over it with a fine tooth comb every few days repairing and cleaning every nick, scratch, scuff, mark or stain.

I am with Filthy Monkey on this. I was in the CCR early January (it was still the December menu) and the scallops and gnocchi were delicious.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
People who prefer GF to Pier F should be subject to a breathalyser to ensure they're sober enough to opine IMO

Cabanas vs. the day room set up with CX - no contest (though not sure if CX have fixed the aircon yet)
Showers - CCR and GF are woeful in comparison
Service - CX win again
Dining - CX win
Business centre - prefer CX, but not as much in it
Power socket availability - CX again (nicely concealed in the tables)
Location - CCR wins! Like having CCR in T5B given distance from main security
Booze - not qualified to comment
Seating - I get ukgooner's point, but any visit I've had to Pier F it has seemed so tranquil compared to GF (CCR less of a difference)
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Location - CCR wins! Like having CCR in T5B given distance from main security
Well, even that is questionable. What you really have is:

- BA which has only one F lounge (CCR) which is in the only concourse which typically as either 0 or 1 long haul flights departing. -- If you leave from T5B or T5C you need to leave some long minutes before your flight departure time to make it, if you leave from terminal 3 you get no F lounge at all.

- CX which has two major F lounges (Wing and Pier) strategically located around both ends of the terminal so that in practice, you can use a proper F lounge on all your CX flights, and have one close to you regardless of the gate that your specific flight uses. Sure, Pier is better than Wing on most fronts (cabanas excepted, I still love them) but Wing beats using T3 GF or T5B GC any day.

I agree with others that CCR has generally better alcohol selection than the Pier, but it is not quite fabulous either. LGPS is better than the Veuve Clicquot that the Pier serves as their main Champagne but it is weaker than what QR, AF, and a few others serve in their First Class lounges. Spirits are ok (I find JW Blue totally pointless personally) but again not great either, and many other First class lounges do better than that. Some of the CCR cocktails are very nice though. CX Pier beats CCR hands down on non-alcoholic drinks including better juices, better water, better non-alcoholic cocktails etc.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Well, even that is questionable. What you really have is:

- BA which has only one F lounge (CCR) which is in the only concourse which typically as either 0 or 1 long haul flights departing. -- If you leave from T5B or T5C you need to leave some long minutes before your flight departure time to make it, if you leave from terminal 3 you get no F lounge at all.

- CX which has two major F lounges (Wing and Pier) strategically located around both ends of the terminal so that in practice, you can use a proper F lounge on all your CX flights, and have one close to you regardless of the gate that your specific flight uses. Sure, Pier is better than Wing on most fronts (cabanas excepted, I still love them) but Wing beats using T3 GF or T5B GC any day.

I agree with others that CCR has generally better alcohol selection than the Pier, but it is not quite fabulous either. LGPS is better than the Veuve Clicquot that the Pier serves as their main Champagne but it is weaker than what QR, AF, and a few others serve in their First Class lounges. Spirits are ok (I find JW Blue totally pointless personally) but again not great either, and many other First class lounges do better than that. Some of the CCR cocktails are very nice though. CX Pier beats CCR hands down on non-alcoholic drinks including better juices, better water, better non-alcoholic cocktails etc.
Interesting. Airport lounges are so subjective. Location of LHR CCR is superb for me just after security. Implication that BA has only one F lounge at LHR T5 is a bit ingenious. GF (after the faff of getting there) is a good premium lounge. YMMV.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Can I use the CX lounges in HKG when flying in F on BA. In manage my booking it says I should use the Qantas lounge!?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Grande Annee
Can I use the CX lounges in HKG when flying in F on BA. In manage my booking it says I should use the Qantas lounge!?
Yes. You will access to all Oneworld first lounges at HKG. Cathay have The Pier and The Wing. Qantas is a combined first and business but still very good. You will also have access to all Cathay Business class lounges if you are inclined to lounge hop!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Rubecula
Interesting. Airport lounges are so subjective. Location of LHR CCR is superb for me just after security. Implication that BA has only one F lounge at LHR T5 is a bit ingenious. GF (after the faff of getting there) is a good premium lounge. YMMV.
The CCR location is great as it takes you away from the throngs of passengers/shoppers in the terminal, but if you are in F you're almost guaranteed to have to trek over to T5B or C to get anywhere. HKG doesn't have such a problem as it is a much better designed/run airport, especially with an e-channel card. People must remember The Pier is intended as a T5B type secondary lounge for the far away flights.

Personally I like the CCR seating area and bar, but the rest of the CCR facilities and other lounges at LHR are woeful. The last two times I've been in there (T5 and T3) I've walked straight out and gone elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.