Wiki Posts
Search

Delayed baggage? Compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Delayed baggage? Compensation?

I just wonder if there are any rules of what kind of compensation BA gives you when the luggage is delayed for 24 hours. In my case I need to wait for 24 hours, so I had to cancel plans and a hotelroom.

Do they have rules for that, or is it a kind of a game?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's not so much compensation you get - well you may not spend all of the cash card they may give you in certain circumstances - you just get refunded any reasonable costs for items that you needed to buy. I can see that extending to a hotel room however, since if you had travelled as planned the baggage would be redirected to your next destination (eventually).

For a 24 hour delay that would typically be toiletries and maybe a change of clothing.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:34 am
Original Poster

As I touring the US, with only one night at one place for the next three weeks I couldn t see how they can send me the luggage - anyway no big deal I just wonder if there are "rules", even for the cash cards they give to you (ours was quite generous) so I don t want to "fight" for some dollars.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are no rules. The only rules are for loss or damage and those are provided for in the Montreal Convention. In the event that your bag is lost or destroyed, you would be eligible for reimbursement of the item's fair market value up to a maximum of approx. US$1,600.

As C-W-S notes, for minor delays, BA will either give you a smallish prepaid card which you can use for anything you want or will reimburse you for minor purchases. Given generous carry-on allowances, you presumably have a lot more than 24 hours of clothing with you.

Hopping around for one nighters at multiple locations is pretty common. If you supply BA your itinerary, they can route your bag to your location or, to the extent that you are flying, route the bag to the baggage office (of BA or another carrier) at an airport you will be using.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
If you supply BA your itinerary, they can route your bag to your location or, to the extent that you are flying, route the bag to the baggage office (of BA or another carrier) at an airport you will be using.
BA has sometimes refused to forward my bags to some foreign airports when I'm not in the country.

Originally Posted by Often1
There are no rules. The only rules are for loss or damage and those are provided for in the Montreal Convention. In the event that your bag is lost or destroyed, you would be eligible for reimbursement of the item's fair market value up to a maximum of approx. US$1,600.
There are rules, and the Montreal Convention also covers damages from delayed baggage. The airline liability for damages for delayed/lost/stolen/damaged baggage under the Montreal Convention is not limited to reimbursement of delayed/lost/damaged item's fair market value.

Originally Posted by Ed Size
I just wonder if there are any rules of what kind of compensation BA gives you when the luggage is delayed for 24 hours. In my case I need to wait for 24 hours, so I had to cancel plans and a hotelroom.

Do they have rules for that, or is it a kind of a game?
It's a kind of game, but BA tends to be pretty good at abiding by the Montreal Convention compared to the U.S. airlines which, along with their industry lobbyists/apologists, try to get away with shorting customers for damages covered by the Montreal Convention. Damages arising from delay of checked baggage on Convention-covered trips are what are due, up to the maximum 1000 SDR equivalent.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 14, 2015 at 11:44 am
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Have to wait for another 24 hours, since BA was only able to send one bag today the other one will arrive tomorrow - this is just a bad joke. So this means me or my wife won t have new clothes for at least another 48 to 72 hours - since we can t wait any longer and we have to travel on, so I only can hope that they send my wifes bag.

They can t tell me a time for delivery, at least they can give me a 24 hours timeslot. If I want to pick it they give me a three hours timeslot (the opening time of the BA desk)

This is a quote from the BA website:

In the event that your checked bags do not arrive on your flight, British Airways will make reasonable efforts to ensure that the bag is returned to you within 24 hours.
I just wonder how that works out if BA is serving the destination only one time daily.

It s frustrating (and hot outside) so I need to buy some more shirts.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Okay - a few years ago now, but my wife and two daughters flew out to Denver to join me there. Their bags didn't - they came the next day. But before we left the airport they received (at least) $100 each in cash. Things must have changed, but it's always best to sort it out when you can speak to someone in person, face-to-face.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CKBA
Okay - a few years ago now, but my wife and two daughters flew out to Denver to join me there. Their bags didn't - they came the next day. But before we left the airport they received (at least) $100 each in cash. Things must have changed, but it's always best to sort it out when you can speak to someone in person, face-to-face.
Today I learned that they have two direct compensation levels. Level one is a 50USD cashcard, Level two is a 200USD cashcard - if you have higher claims you need to contact "London".

Anyway the worst thing was the lack of comunication.

I showed up at the airport (as been told by the hotline) on 5pm only to get the information that I can t get my bag before 8pm (the hotline told the counter will only open from 4pm to 7pm).

Also BA send me an email, that one of my bags will only arrive by tomorrow - in fact it was here by today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.