Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stick with BAEC or switch to AA?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 1:56 am

Hi all, new user here so be gentle (and english is not my native language. First i want to thank all the users here in the forum. I have run through tons of posts here now couple of weeks and wow what a valuable information i have got. So THANK YOU!

Now i hijack this thread because i have question between BAEC and Aadvantage also. I`am planning trip next year that contains BCN-LHR-JFK-MIA-SXM-CDG (with some connections between those also). All flights are in business or first and i calculated to get around 20k avois(?) and 640 tier points on BAEC and something around 20k miles on AAdvantage (and because there are I, J, A , P tickets they give me 2 or 3 x miles, but still little bit shy of 50k EQM)

So what should i do.. I dont have miles on either programs but BAEC would get me higher elite status than AAdvantage.

This probably depends on my need and there are basically two:
-Buy Y-tickets with money and upgrade those to business or from business to first in longhauls between europe and usa, and between europe and asia.
-Use points/miles to get some short Y-flights in europe what are so short that no need for business.

Witch program you would choose? And bonus question: if i take some other trip that throws me over 50k EQM but no way in 1500 tier points would that counts towards AAdvantage?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 2:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Leo123
This probably depends on my need and there are basically two:
-Buy Y-tickets with money and upgrade those to business or from business to first in longhauls between europe and usa, and between europe and asia.
-Use points/miles to get some short Y-flights in europe what are so short that no need for business.
Welcome to Flyertalk Leo123, welcome to the BA forum. Best wishes for Christmastide and a Happy New Year too. I hope we will see plenty more of you here, so do feel at home here.

For your twin objectives, both schemes work. At any given moment / flight, one scheme may be better than the other, but as a general opinion from my side I suspect AA is slightly better for the first objective, BA is somewhat better for the second objective in terms of Reward Flight Savers, so long as you don't mind London featuring in your travel plans. I'm not sure what airport you are based at, but if it's BCN then single RFS flights from there to London are fairly cheap and in plentiful supply (6.5k Avios and £14). The other advantages of BA are soft landing, so if Silver this year then you are guaranteed Bronze next year; also better lounge access in the USA. Also the Avios transfer options to Iberia and presumably Aer Lingus may be helpful.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Leo123 Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Leo123
Now I hijack this thread because I have question between BAEC and Aadvantage also. I`am planning trip next year that contains BCN-LHR-JFK-MIA-SXM-CDG (with some connections between those also). All flights are in business or first and I calculated to get around 20k avois(?) and 640 tier points on BAEC and something around 20k miles on AAdvantage (and because there are I, J, A , P tickets they give me 2 or 3 x miles, but still little bit shy of 50k EQM)
Are you looking for status?
To get status with BA you need 4 BA marketed flights (BA flight numbers)
To get status with AA you need 4 AA marketed flights (AA flight numbers)[AA operated flights may/may not count for the 4. There is an AA thread on this topic:-is unclear]
Getting upgrades is hard. Eu based & USA based airlines have very different practises for upgrades.

Where do you live? Europe?
Probably better to ask in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:24 am

Thank you corporate-wage-slave and Mwenenzi.

I`am from Finland so with Finnair i have easy access to Asia with OneWorld, but everybody knows Finnair Plus is not that great so i prefer credit my miles somewhere else.

Thanks for the link Mwenenzi! there i found lot of answers!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Digging up an old thread that I've already posted in, but the question is to be asked again. With the AA changes upcoming, I'm going to have to make the switch to BAEC either now or starting April (TP year ends/begins). I've got the US BA credit card so will have 50k+ Avios even though I've only ever credited once to BA. Essentially - miles/Avios earning/redemption aside - is there any benefit for being BA silver whilst flying BA rather than OW sapphire (AA platinum)? I know I'll actually get more flying AA (domestic access), but what about on BA, where I do most of my travelling? Thanks in advance again!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by lostinlondon
Digging up an old thread that I've already posted in, but the question is to be asked again. With the AA changes upcoming, I'm going to have to make the switch to BAEC either now or starting April (TP year ends/begins). I've got the US BA credit card so will have 50k+ Avios even though I've only ever credited once to BA. Essentially - miles/Avios earning/redemption aside - is there any benefit for being BA silver whilst flying BA rather than OW sapphire (AA platinum)? I know I'll actually get more flying AA (domestic access), but what about on BA, where I do most of my travelling? Thanks in advance again!
Essentially no. The BA-specific benefits kick in at Gold really.

There appears to be anecdotal evidence on here that Silvers can fare better at op-ups, but I've no idea if that's right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.