Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London City you've finally lost me

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
LCY is still lovely compared to STN

It's less nice than it used to be, for sure.

BA Citiflyer's increasingly frequent cascading delays affecting several flights in a morning, are a serious problem. STN may be awful on the ground but the Orange Mob run on time and their aircraft don't break down (usually).

Update: overall their punctuality stats are a bit worse that BACF, but on EZY I still don't experience the long delays because of broken aircraft that BACF have given me several times this year .

Last edited by flatlander; Jul 26, 2015 at 4:11 am Reason: Facts, who needs facts
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
It has been mentioned that BACF aircraft usage is stretching the fleet considerably, there was rumour of another E190 order but nothing concrete yet.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by dnajockey
It has been mentioned that BACF aircraft usage is stretching the fleet considerably
Certainly feels like it during any disruption, and looks like it when I have checked schedules of a particular aircraft during the day.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by AndyGreen
They actually do quite a bit better than WX @ LCY:

London City Airport Flight Delays & Punctuality
I think we have a different reading of "quite a bit better". Not at all surprised at BA being considerably poorer in the ">1 hour bucket".
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I think we have a different reading of "quite a bit better". Not at all surprised at BA being considerably poorer in the ">1 hour bucket".
I think you may be confusing the British Airways data with the BA CityFlyer data. British Airways relates only to A318 JFK flights, BACF relates to the ERJ ops.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by AndyGreen
I think you may be confusing the British Airways data with the BA CityFlyer data. British Airways relates only to A318 JFK flights, BACF relates to the ERJ ops.
Indeed I was! Apologies. I'm genuinely surprised, but I guess we only have personal experience of what we actually fly rather than all flights. I'm clearly unlucky....!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:33 am

Programs: M&M FTL (*Silver), KLM/AF blue
Maybe related to the summer holiday: but wen throught security in 5 Minutes yesterday and staff was really nice and chatty.

The airport being so overcroweded seems mainly be related to the fact that roughly 50% of the waiting area is reserved vor "dinner only" and was completely empty while the rest of the airport was overcrowded.
(I know in other countires just would sit down any way as act of civil disobedience... guess that is a no go in UK)

But more seriously: I am always surprised that in a country like the UK where Healt and Safety is such an important concern, the authorties allow for such overcrowding like LCY airport. I don't see how you can evacuate this airport in case of a serious incident, looking at the check in hall or athe depurtare waiting hall. This is a serious security concern to me! In other european countries such things would not be allowed I think...
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:52 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by DernierVirage
Your post brought back memories. I used LCY frequently in 1992, when I started working in Paris. Back then, LCY was struggling to develop its business and there were times when it was like a ghost town. It even closed completely at some times over the weekend if I remember well. As for the flights to CDG, there were times when the crew outnumbered the passengers. Happy days.....
Your post brought back memories to me as well. Those Dash-7s and then all those F-27s with extraordinary markings. It was like going back into the late 50s with that quaint little check-in area and the whole place was a bit like an airline Lounge.

I'm afraid that LCY is a victim of its own success. Now the aircraft carry twice the number of people - and along came docklands. Once again, LCY was designed before the full impact of the effects would be known. Driving to LCY when it first opened was like going on to some industrial estate.

I travelled on BA1 one day when fog came down the Thames and LCY was in chaos. It looked like a refugee camp - there were people everywhere. Nothing was able to land, so the airport was full of people and there were no aircraft. Ours was one of the only to have landed that morning - another was a Cityjet Avro whatever.

As for conformance at LHR - I think that it is now so long to get through the shambles with a sourpuss face that calls itself security that they should set it for 1 hour minimum. Try getting to the C gates in heels in 35 minutes!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:54 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Bingo! My FT week is now complete.
Darling - it's only Tuesday. Do humour an old lady and elaborate a little more. if you can't say anything nice, then you must definitely come and have dinner chez moi!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
LCY is a pain for car users as well, £11 for 35 minutes of car park, and no passenger pick-up point

Next time I'll fly the family to LHR, easier to pick them up
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
How much for 35 mins/ That is totally a rip off.

The airport should try and learn from Toronto City - a delight. Free coffee and biscuits and stuff all round (no need for a airline lounge - but recognition from the airport operators I think) ....pleasant gate staff and security.
the problem with London and this blasted South East development means it just costs pax more money, little service and delays.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Really? Is that based on recent experience?

My recent experience of numerous flights at both LHR and LGW is that baggage handling times are dramatically better than previously. My most common experience both long haul and short haul has been the luggage beating me to the carousel.

Indeed the biggest delay I've had in disembarking recently was having to wait for those with ridiculous amounts of hand luggage struggling to remove it from the overheads. These same passengers then walked past the carousel on which that flight's luggage was already revolving.

Time savings going HBO are now illusory much of the time - indeed from my experience delays in departing while trying to stow excessive hand luggage and in disembarking while people struggle to retrieve their luggage have outweighed any time spent waiting for luggage.

Domestics may be different as the time spent at immigration isn't part of the equation, although I have not waited more than five minutes recently for a JER flight's luggage to arrive at LGW (that used to be horrendous).

I am sure someone will be along to tell that BA always lose their luggage or they always have to wait a minimum of 45 minutes at the carousel.

All I can say is that that certainly hasn't been my experience recently.
Can only speak for LHR, but I agree that checked baggage delivery times are markedly improved of late. I have also had luggage waiting for me, with luggage from a domestic arriving on the belt at the same time as I entered the hall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.