Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London City you've finally lost me

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
I live 12 mins away for LCY on a direct DLR route.. I tend to use for arrivals only due to mainly no lounge and the fact that you have to take out a second mortgage if you want anything to eat unless its a Boots meal deal. That said it was nice to leave home 40 mins before take off heading to Dubai via Frankfurt in J with Lufthansa.
I kind of struggle to see the logic of trekking to LHR or LGW solely for the lounge when you live so close to the airport. Surely spending time in your house is better than in the lounge?

Yes LCY can be crowded at certain times, but if you work in the city of the Wharf, its really a no-brainer, you can leave the office an hour before the flight. I use LCY frequently on Friday nights and have never found the security to be particularly poor - considering the number of complaints about LHR fast track security, I struggle to believe that LCY can be worse. The most I've ever had to wait is 15 mins. Last Weds there was an almost 20 min wait in LHR north fast track and practically every bag was searched. (a bit OT, but the number of BA Golds who seemed to have no idea what was required of them at the xray shocked me).

I do agree about the check in area though, it desperately needs expanding. I'm always HBO though so its not a huge issue for me.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:03 pm

I live a similar distance from LCY and I can't get my head around taking a hot, painful, sweaty journey across London for a bit of free grub and drink.

Each to their own I suppose.

Last edited by Kgmm77; Jul 25, 2015 at 4:10 pm
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by harryhv
Why fly? Ok the trains have their problems, but flights have plenty of delays too.

Trekking across to Heathrow leaving enough time to be sure not to be trapped by BA's disgusting "conformance", you'd be no faster than the train anyway
I am confused as to why you describe conformance at LHR as 'disgusting'.

The cut off point for London joiners at 35 minutes before departure has been designed to give passengers enough time to reach the gate but not too much time as to cause a delay. On flights where delays are longer than 15 minutes, then it is common practice for the delay to be posted and conformance times are extended accordingly.

The potential benefit for frequent flyers is that the airline knows in sufficient time on a busy flight whether seats will become available after the flight has closed. This allows standby passengers to be given seats after those failing to conform have been offloaded.

I understand that being advised you are a minute or two after the designated time for conformance can be more than a little frustrating but the general aim of improving punctuality has been aided by this system compared to the old days in T1 and T4.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by chris1979
Is "gate closing" still officially 10 mins? Or 15? Or even 20?

Problem with LHR is that such a big place with so many people and shops in the way of things etc.

Though I never cut it that fine, the whole 15 mins at LCY is doable even though I'm often on board at T-15
On pier departures at LHR close at -10 with off piers at -20.

The boarding cards always advise the earlier time in case the flight ends up being a coaching departure. As with anything, there are occasions where latecomers are accepted though this can depend on other factors such as whether bags are checked in or if there are lots of other pax missing as well.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kevlondon
Unfortunately, what was once a super convenient and very quick airport used exclusively by experienced business travellers has become a scaled down version of LHR, with suits and tourists rubbing shoulders, quite literally, in its cramped spaces.

Departure is still a relatively smooth affair, although security is still (under)staffed by clueless windowlickers who don't apply common sense to their work.
Well this tourist counts himself lucky never to have used LCY if it's full of angry people in suits like you.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kevlondon
I was a frequent user of LCY for well over a decade, beginning back when it had just 9 gates and no redeveloped mezzanine, and you had to grab a bus from Canary Wharf to get there! Back then, I was shuttling to & from Paris on AF every week. The lack of a lounge was well compensated for with a food voucher and free parking pass - even these perks were long gone before the place doubled in size. Unfortunately, what was once a super convenient and very quick airport used exclusively by experienced business travellers has become a scaled down version of LHR, with suits and tourists rubbing shoulders, quite literally, in its cramped spaces.........
Your post brought back memories. I used LCY frequently in 1992, when I started working in Paris. Back then, LCY was struggling to develop its business and there were times when it was like a ghost town. It even closed completely at some times over the weekend if I remember well. As for the flights to CDG, there were times when the crew outnumbered the passengers. Happy days.....
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:20 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Although LCY is not a fun place during IRROPS, absence of lounges aside I don't have any major problems with it for departures. Admittedly, though I'm still a regular user of LCY, I don't use it in the morning/evening peaks as much as before, but my last such experience a couple of weeks ago was just fine.

I almost never check a bag, so the situation at checkin rarely impacts me, I'm just straight up the escalator to security.

I would tend to share the view of chris1979 that I don't think the alternatives are much better, unless you really want to use a lounge. I still happily use LCY if the price/schedule works. They do need to maintain the speed through the airport, as that for me is the USP. Punctuality is maybe an issue, though for my flights I haven't found it worse than LHR recently.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:24 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
This was a recent Friday afternoon line for security (March 15):

And the lounge area:

Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by caz312
Always fly into City as, even with bag, can be in office in 30 mins after landing (at which point I would still be waiting for bag at LHR...or half way through the waiting time at Gatwick!)
Really? Is that based on recent experience?

My recent experience of numerous flights at both LHR and LGW is that baggage handling times are dramatically better than previously. My most common experience both long haul and short haul has been the luggage beating me to the carousel.

Indeed the biggest delay I've had in disembarking recently was having to wait for those with ridiculous amounts of hand luggage struggling to remove it from the overheads. These same passengers then walked past the carousel on which that flight's luggage was already revolving.

Time savings going HBO are now illusory much of the time - indeed from my experience delays in departing while trying to stow excessive hand luggage and in disembarking while people struggle to retrieve their luggage have outweighed any time spent waiting for luggage.

Domestics may be different as the time spent at immigration isn't part of the equation, although I have not waited more than five minutes recently for a JER flight's luggage to arrive at LGW (that used to be horrendous).

I am sure someone will be along to tell that BA always lose their luggage or they always have to wait a minimum of 45 minutes at the carousel.

All I can say is that that certainly hasn't been my experience recently.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:05 am

Same here Francis. Even with the A380 there are usually 2 carousels and the baggage is coming out by the time you get there.

The only gripe I have about Gatwick are some of the walks are very long.

Last edited by simons1; Jul 26, 2015 at 3:05 am
Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
BACF have serious timekeeping issues. They really are institutionally late.

Does anyone have access to punctuality figures versus say WX?
They actually do quite a bit better than WX @ LCY:

London City Airport Flight Delays & Punctuality
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by FrancisA

My recent experience of numerous flights at both LHR and LGW is that baggage handling times are dramatically better than previously. My most common experience both long haul and short haul has been the luggage beating me to the carousel.

Indeed the biggest delay I've had in disembarking recently was having to wait for those with ridiculous amounts of hand luggage struggling to remove it from the overheads. These same passengers then walked past the carousel on which that flight's luggage was already revolving.

Time savings going HBO are now illusory much of the time - indeed from my experience delays in departing while trying to stow excessive hand luggage and in disembarking while people struggle to retrieve their luggage have outweighed any time spent waiting for luggage.

Domestics may be different as the time spent at immigration isn't part of the equation, although I have not waited more than five minutes recently for a JER flight's luggage to arrive at LGW (that used to be horrendous).

I am sure someone will be along to tell that BA always lose their luggage or they always have to wait a minimum of 45 minutes at the carousel.

All I can say is that that certainly hasn't been my experience recently.
Agree with every word of this.

Life is too short to deal with the hassle of HBO, fighting for space, queueing at the gate early to guarantee a locker etc.

I just check in a bag and have a less stressful experience
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by harryhv
... BA's disgusting "conformance" ...
Bingo! My FT week is now complete.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by FrancisA

I guess my experience is based on flying domestic and being sat near the front so plane to baggage belt is a short time. Half an hour seemed about the norm apart from 3 weeks ago when it was over an hour for half the bags to arrive as they lost the truck and could not find out where they were. (they were about to start taking reports to arrange delivery when the bags appeared)
I was unaware of the changes at Gatwick, I was using it fairly regularly but stopped last year and switched to City because of the baggage waits - 50-55mins seemed to be the norm...and often there were only a dozen folk waiting...glad to hear it has improved

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.