Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A Guide to Seats and Window Positions - A318 Babybus BA1-4 LCY-JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Seats and Window Positions - A318 Babybus BA1-4 LCY-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M SEN, EK Gold
iPad pic on way

On BA1 today so pic taken. Trying to upload now if I have time.

Any other requests?

Cheers

Manx Flyer
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Banana4321
Note that on average 0.8 will work per seat so always best to engage a seating strategy for an empty seat next to you

Good work on the pics KARFA
Thanks. I had the side one not working on 1A on Thursday but I think the two at the front were working and the side one for 1B was working. Fortunately had both seats for myself

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Oh I'm glad I left 6a tidy for you!

I'm coming back on Wednesday so will try and remember to take an iPad pic for you.
Haha, thanks yes row 8 was very untidy though! Thanks for the ipad photo offer, that would be great. I must admit I thought I had a photo from back in March when I was on it but unfortunately not.

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
This is pretty cool - thanks Karfa. Just a question then: Row 4 is over the wings - does that seriously impede the view from these seats? Would it be better to move to Row 7? (The front rows are already reserved - we got dumped in 4 when our original flight was cancelled). Thanks
The view from row 4 is pretty much all wing. It is the row which is most directly over the wing. I guess if you look at post 1 of teh thread you can see this.

Originally Posted by Roger
Excellent and useful info, thank you.

A question about 'missing' windows: is it just rows 2 and 3 that are missing a full complement of windows (and others in the photos have the blinds down)?

Thanks.
So if there is a window shown then there is a view from that window. Some of the shades were down but they are all movable.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the kind comments for everyone. Funnily enough I didn't set out intending to do this last week. However, after a fellow FT'er requested all the row photos I thought it would be worth doing.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headingwest
Great work KARFA! Good job you explained how you got the photos. I would have thought that you spent the weekend on board on the tarmac at LCY!

I see that you were in 1A, is it your favourite seat on the Babybus? (I'm in 1A for August)
Yes, doing 8 separate trips and taking one photo at a time would have been too much and left me broke I think!

I probably haven't been on enough to have a favourite seat,, only 4 times so far. For a daytime flight 1A is certainly good though, as is row 2. If you don't want your view blocked by the wing then after that probably rows 6-8 are good. For the eastbound night flight I suspect somewhere from 2-7 are all good, maybe 1 and 8 are too close to the galley and toilets.

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Nicely done, I suggested a Window-Wiki only yesterday on a 29A/K thread!

Only the 319/20/21/80 and 747/767 to go!
Lol, no chance! Eight rows is enough for me. I will let someone else do window alignment for other aircraft.

Actually I think Sixth Freedom did a similar window alignment guide for the 777-200 & 777-300?

Last edited by KARFA; Jul 7, 2015 at 5:03 am
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by KARFA
Hopefully this is of use to someone. I have a few more bits to add but it is most of what I want to post is in here. This basically came out of a request from another FT'er to take photos of each row to see the window alignment. The crew on BA1 on 2 July kindly let me take photos after the other passengers had disembarked at JFK.

One request - has anyone got a photo of the ipad given out, preferably on the Highlife page? I don't have one tlo add unfortunately.
Thanks for this. I've always sat in row 7, and enjoyed the view. It's good to see I chose well, in terms of window alignment. The service has always been great in that row.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Updated with scans of the seat guide as well now in post #10. I didn't pinch it btw!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Excellent work Karfa / great aircraft and service. BA2 is my next ride but some months away!!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: Meow Mix
Thanks for the kind comments for everyone. Funnily enough I didn't set out intending to do this last week. However, after a fellow FT'er requested all the row photos I thought it would be worth doing.
Yes, Thank you for helping with my OCD I am working on how to get some for the larger types because going to every single seat in Y will not be efficient on an A380

/AE
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:27 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
KARFA superb - thank you. Ideal timing for our first Babybus experience in just over a couple of weeks - how on earth did you know?

Based on what you've posted, it sounds like I'm better off moving back from row 3A/B to 7A/B on the westbound leg for the view (well, more MrsNWIFlyer who I've kindly allowed to have the window seat), so I've done that. With the flight looking like it's only just over half full, it seems unlikely what's sometimes reckoned to be slightly slower service at the back will be an issue at all.

If there's any more photos needed by the time I get onboard, just let me know and I'll do my very best to remember (well, assuming MrsNWI doesn't now spend the whole seven hours pointing out what's outside to distract me!).
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by angeloedades
Yes, Thank you for helping with my OCD I am working on how to get some for the larger types because going to every single seat in Y will not be efficient on an A380

/AE
Ok, so it was angeloedades who requested all the row photos. However, doing it and having the idea of doing the guide was all my work so any royalties and profits which flow from this guide are all mine

If you are familiar with the Facebook story then I am Zuckerberg, and angeloedades is one of the Winklevoss twins

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
KARFA superb - thank you. Ideal timing for our first Babybus experience in just over a couple of weeks - how on earth did you know?

Based on what you've posted, it sounds like I'm better off moving back from row 3A/B to 7A/B on the westbound leg for the view (well, more MrsNWIFlyer who I've kindly allowed to have the window seat), so I've done that. With the flight looking like it's only just over half full, it seems unlikely what's sometimes reckoned to be slightly slower service at the back will be an issue at all.

If there's any more photos needed by the time I get onboard, just let me know and I'll do my very best to remember (well, assuming MrsNWI doesn't now spend the whole seven hours pointing out what's outside to distract me!).
I know these things

Row 3 isn't too bad. You are in-line with the engines and the front of the wing so you would have a view but it would be obscured a bit. You would have to lean forward as well to see out of the window. Certainly row 7 is a full complement of windows and unobscured view.

Serving was front to back when I was on. Tbh I don't think rows at the back were served much later than row 1 so as a factor for choosing seats I woudn't wory about it.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: Meow Mix
Ok, so it was angeloedades who requested all the row photos. However, doing it and having the idea of doing the guide was all my work so any royalties and profits which flow from this guide are all mine

If you are familiar with the Facebook story then I am Zuckerberg, and angeloedades is one of the Winklevoss twins
Ouch. Well I am working on capturing some data on my next few long hauls with BA and translating them into a guide for the 77W and the 772. The most annoying bit for me is that BA seat maps do not have window positions relative to the seats.

/AE
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Armodeen
Thanks for this, very helpful I am a bit obsessive about my view, so this is great. I had booked row 8 but got moved to 1A when the seat map got messed about a few months ago.. I guess I'll leave it?
Sorry, I missed your question earlier. Yes row 1 is fine. View is unobstructed as you can see in the video in post #13.

The only downside is perhaps noise and light from the galley and toilets. Possibly an issue on an overnight, but for a daytime flight neither bothered me at all.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:24 am

Very interesting and informative - thank you.

I shall no doubt refer to this guide if I ever get around to taking the BA1. Even if I don't, it is a great read!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:50 am

Great job!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
I nearly jumped out of my seat with joy when I saw this! What a fabulous resource and exactly exactly exactly what I have been looking for ... I already have 1A and 2A on an upcoming trip, but that row 7 is looking good for my BA4 instead of row 2. I like lots of windows :P ... Thanks KARFA! Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.