Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Gold
Air France experience

About 15 years ago, when my wife had status with AF, we wanted to use her points to upgrade from to BOS to the UK but there was no availability.

While waiting to board, there was an announcement with about 8 passengers asked to report to the departure gate staff. Upon arrival and staying out surnames, we were each handed an envelope with a short notice stating that we were being offered an upgrade and if we accepted the offer, we were requested to just nod or state "yes", that is, not to discuss that we had been upgraded.

Of course, we were very happy to do our best Noddy impressions just in case
Old Jun 4, 2016, 10:01 am

After never getting upgrades I have had four in quick succession.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Upgrade from economy to prem economy on LHR-NRT and HND-LHR. First after checkin, second just before checkin. Appreciated, as so far I was upgraded 5 out of 6 long haul flights in economy with BA.

Also had greeting from cabin crew manager on short haul LUX-LHR, shocking for other economy passengers.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Gold, Club Accorhotels Silver
Upgrade to CE at the gate on a packed LYS to LHR flight last night. I'd just requalified as Silver the previous day - wondered if this is why I was one of the 4 or so upgraded pax as there were quite a lot of people with status
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
IB6620 (credited to BAEC, of course), HAV-MAD last Saturday, Y to J, for both me and Mrs FBW.

It was an IRROP from the day before, the daily flight was delayed by 21 hours from the Friday and they were trying to squeeze 2 lots of A332 PAX into a A346, which wasn't pretty. The Y check-in quese was just astronomically long, so using BA Bronze (/OWR) business class check in with only 1 PAX in the queue ahead was a Godsend.

We'd already paid for exit row seats (which for me bing 6'3 makes a huge difference to the Y experience) and because we were put back at a hotel in Havana the night before with wifi, Myflights app had already given us the heads up on the equipment change.

So I knew I needed row 25, not the row 27 on the previous days boarding passes (which we'd been told to keep). As the check-in agent was printing out the boarding passes it came out as 27 first, then a lot of head scratching, keyboard tapping and discussion with the supervisor behind the desks and the second lot came out at as 25A/G. Further (unprompted from me, although I'm certain he could tell from my expression that I was ready for the discussion..) jabbering away and the third set of boarding passes came out as 5H/L, with an 'I'm sorry you're not sitting together, but I've put you in the business cabin'. Well, we took it and ran!!

What a great flight home that was, after what can only be described as a 'challenging' couple of weeks touring Cuba.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold
I was bumped up from WT+ to CW on BA 183 from LHR - JFK on 28 May. The loads didn't look particularly heavy so not sure it was related to overbooking. In my six years as a Gold member this is only the second time I was upgraded! I can only think it was may be related to the fact that this was my second long-haul trip in the month??
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC
Just got my first (offical) op-up on BA coming back from Portugal two days ago, after about a year of being Gold. I ended up with 1DEF to myself, and a completely full Y cabin. Was served first too, and had a proactive puser who kept offering drinks (even with 10 mins to landing). Made my bargain fare into a very good deal indeed
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: Nando's Black, British Airways Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
3 of 5 of us travelling on a "Viking" fare from PHL to LHR were bumped from J to F this week. Two upgrades occurred on arriving at the BA Lounge, the third was at the gate ("magic beep" style).

It made for 3 very happy travellers (and two very jealous ones)!

Our party included 4 GCHs and 1 SCH (who was bumped ahead of one of the GCHs).

This was my second bump from J to F this year (and of all time) - I won't be holding my breath for another!
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I'd love to be able to contribute to this thread one day! With Mrs BF braving Y to NYC and back next weekend I do hope it's on her behalf! As I never book myself into Y or W on long haul I accept that it's very unlikely I will be upgraded myself.

It's interesting seeing some of the upgrades that happen though, and I am happy for all those who receive them.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:03 pm

June 9 LHR-YYC all 3 of us in WT+ got the magic bleep at the gate and mover to CW. Looked as if WT oversold and we were the lucky beneficiaries . Only a lowly blue member and the priority boarding line seemed to have plenty of status pax.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
WT+ to CW on the 9th of June evening flight to PVG, Booked the ticket last minute, only full price ticket available in J so I settled for Y+, was very pleased to get my first upgrade to J in 10 years of intensive flying (got a lot of Y to Y+ on CX on regional hops),

After discussing with one of the FA, 20+ were upgraded on this flight (my guess is that it was mostly from Y to Y+)
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:51 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I was on LHR-SEA yesterday and was hoping to do the buy up at the gate from CW to F but after seeing lots of F space (as well as J/C/I buckets) for a few days, everything zero'd out about 24 hours prior to departure. Sure enough, there were a number of confused people walking around CW during boarding with looks of "I just won the lottery." I'd guess a half dozen or more from the looks of how many folks clearly didnt know their way around that cabin.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Economy to WTP in the app from LHR-SEA today, I hope. First one this year and first as gold.

Perhaps they think I need to see more of WTP so I'll book it when not UUA.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Lots of upgrades going on at PHL at the moment as oversold in every cabin except first I was told at checkin, and that I might get lucky at the gate (I didn't ask, no idea why it was mentioned). Judging by the regular bing bongs in the lounge to come to the desk for 'a message' and reprinted boarding passes for a few happy bunnies it seems unlikely I'll get a magic beep tonight 😢 Oh well, delayed an hour so another few glasses to dull the disappointment 😀😀
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
J to F earlier this week on LHR-DFW which was my very first flight after getting back up to Gold. I think this is the third or fourth time this has happened over the years. So my personal experience is that my Op Ups happen immediately after (re)attaining Gold.

Incidentally, the crew were Mixed Fleet and clearly very inexperienced. The service was intrusive and erratic. I think I would have preferred being left in the quiet cocoon that is a J window seat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.