Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance!! Is no one else shocked? ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage allowance!! Is no one else shocked? ??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by agehall
What does being an ex-pat have to do with packing!? I can look proper in two weeks worth of business meetings with carry-on only if I have to.

Planning and proper packing technique for the bag in question are essential to accomplish this.

The OP won't get much sympathy from me. Book your tickets yourself and read the conditions before accepting them.
Moving your residence from City A to City B? That probably would have good use for 100+ kgs.

Mind you, the MeltingAlf community/family have someone who has had a year to ship stuff to her new residence and yet still have excess of 50kg of stuff to ship.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
I had not checked the baggage allowance in economy, nor the rates for excess baggage for a long time.

I was surprised to find the baggage allowance is only 1 bag - it always used to be 2 between the US and Europe. Likewise the excess baggage fee - $170 for a bag, paid online?????

I regularly use my 3 x 32kg allowance, but I will make sure that I never go over it!
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
FWIW, I would have put money on the allowance being 2 bags. However, as I can happily travel for a week on hand baggage ....

Put it this way. The suitcase fee pays for a lot of hotel laundry or a shopping spree (for stuff you bin on departure) at the nearest budget clothes shop.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
I'm in India for a week with hand luggage only (despite being allowed 4 checked-in bags should I need to). Not sure what all the fuss is about!
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by To Eat.To Drink
I'm in India for a week with hand luggage only (despite being allowed 4 checked-in bags should I need to). Not sure what all the fuss is about!
I don't see the relevance of someone travelling business/1st class who has additional luggage allowance scorning someone surprised/concerned over the normal published economy allowance
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by llinllinn
When I was checking in online, I then realized my baggage allowance is only 1bg 23kg. Am I the only one whos surprised?? Yes, I have heard that international flight within Europe this allowance applies but to travel half way around the world over 27hrs!?
Welcome to FT! It is completely standard, and indeed, some airlines are even meaner (e.g. 20kg). Only very few (like JL) give a larger allowance in Y.

PS: To make things worse, I'm afraid that you are not actually allowed to enter the checked luggage compartment from your seat during the 27h flight so I'm not too sure what difference the flight time actually makes?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Scorn may be a little harsh. Smugness at my ability to travel without multiple suitcases, possibly. It is possible to travel long distances with hand luggage, and indeed hand luggage plus a checked-in bag. To answer the OP directly, I am not shocked and don't share your anger. If my allowance was one bag that would be ample and on the rare occasions that I travel with my wife and two kids, four checked-in bags are also more than enough.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't see the relevance of someone travelling business/1st class who has additional luggage allowance scorning someone surprised/concerned over the normal published economy allowance
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:23 pm

Imposing one's baggage and packing habits on someone else without knowledge of their particular circumstances seems about as helpful as choosing their IFE too.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Imposing one's baggage and packing habits on someone else without knowledge of their particular circumstances seems about as helpful as choosing their IFE too.
+ 1.

We all travel for different reasons, under different circumstances, for different durations, needing different amounts of stuff.

There is no cachet in travelling with hand luggage only as some posters on here seem to believe.

We each travel with the amount of luggage we need to take - end of story. To tell other posters how much luggage they should be taking is pure arrogance.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by llinllinn
My sister booked me a ticket from BAH Bahran to YVR Vancouver via British airways. When I was checking in online, I then realized my baggage allowance is only 1bg 23kg. Am I the only one whos surprised?? Yes, I have heard that international flight within Europe this allowance applies but to travel half way around the world over 27hrs!? I was already upset when I read this but what made me angry was that they had the audacity to right "you'd be surprised what you can fit in one bag," or something. .. Yes, I know what can fit in one bag, thats why I need 2.

Finally I got over it and checked the price for an extra checked in bag. The man at the call center told me 42bd which is a near 150usd each way, one way the bag being empty. A total of about 300usd ontop of my 1500usd flight, great..
I am a little surprised, what did you expect? 2 minutes online and you would know what to expect. Well i guess time is really money^
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Does Air Canada fly to Bahrain?
Code share with Gulf Air or BA to LHR; or TK to IST. Baggage allowance is 2x23kg free, additional bag is $225 CAD.

Mind you, AC from LHR to YVR is the high density 777 (458 seats vs BA's 299), not a place I'd want to be for 10ish hours in Y.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HilFly
+ 1.

We all travel for different reasons, under different circumstances, for different durations, needing different amounts of stuff.

There is no cachet in travelling with hand luggage only as some posters on here seem to believe.

We each travel with the amount of luggage we need to take - end of story. To tell other posters how much luggage they should be taking is pure arrogance.
^
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
Moving your residence from City A to City B? That probably would have good use for 100+ kgs.

Mind you, the MeltingAlf community/family have someone who has had a year to ship stuff to her new residence and yet still have excess of 50kg of stuff to ship.
In that case, we are probably talking shipping containers. Moving as an ex-pat is not business travel in my opinion - it's a move to a new home location. Sure, it involves travel and it is business related, but you can hardly compare that to a normal business trip.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
As to the whole issue of allowances, the costs are of a "free" bag are built into ticket prices. As someone who can easily travel on a 10-day business trip with no checked luggage, I would be fine with no checked allowance and a lower ticket price. Those who want to check luggage should pay its costs.
Yeah, the only problem is that it does not cost the airline anything close to $150 ($52,500 for 250 passengers) to transport the bag.

They're not charging cost: they're charging something that is 98% (or more) pure profit.

It's as if they charged you $150 for the second drink you have onboard.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by agehall
In that case, we are probably talking shipping containers. Moving as an ex-pat is not business travel in my opinion - it's a move to a new home location. Sure, it involves travel and it is business related, but you can hardly compare that to a normal business trip.
You've obviously never been an expat. There's lots of stuff to carry besides the "move" (which could only be for 6 months into an exec apartment so you're not doing any shipping containers).

The home office wants to you bring stuff from the remote office back. Close family wants and deserves gifts. Spouse needs the shoes/pants/dress/etc. he/she left behind and didn't think he/she needed them. Child 1 needs a replacement medical device that broke down. Child 2 would like the latest game console that is not available for sale in the country you're in. Your boss loves peanut butter/Cadbury's/whatever and of course you want to bring some back for him/her. And when you are going for holidays everyone wants (and deserves) gifts from the country you're in. And so on.

All airlines figured this out and have ample allowances in J, especially elites, as this very profitable segment will change airlines if the allowance is too little. For us transporting bags with valuable content (the stuff your boss needs, our clothing, etc.) is just as valuable as transporting us.

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Exactly.

Last edited by hillrider; Jun 21, 2015 at 9:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.