Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance!! Is no one else shocked? ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:38 am
Original Poster

My sister booked me a ticket from BAH Bahran to YVR Vancouver via British airways. When I was checking in online, I then realized my baggage allowance is only 1bg 23kg. Am I the only one whos surprised?? Yes, I have heard that international flight within Europe this allowance applies but to travel half way around the world over 27hrs!? I was already upset when I read this but what made me angry was that they had the audacity to right "you'd be surprised what you can fit in one bag," or something. .. Yes, I know what can fit in one bag, thats why I need 2.

Finally I got over it and checked the price for an extra checked in bag. The man at the call center told me 42bd which is a near 150usd each way, one way the bag being empty. A total of about 300usd ontop of my 1500usd flight, great..
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Im confused about the complaint. 1 x 23Kg is a pretty normal economy baggage allowance

$150 for an extra bag isn't atypical for flights to USA

I am surprised that someone would be expecting it to be higher
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
You will also be allowed hand baggage, which is a further 23kg.

Of course if you fly in a higher cabin or get status then you are allowed additional luggage. Would be worth looking to see if you can upgrade one leg of your journey and you would therefore get the higher luggage allowance.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
... and welcome to FT ^
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by llinllinn
but to travel half way around the world over 27hrs!?
one way the bag being empty.
So you can travel around the world with one bag. You just want to shop when there or leave stuff behind?

Welcome to FT OP - golden rule, check before you (or your sister) buy
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk llinllinn, welcome to the BA forum and please to continue to post here. There may be ways to help you here, so FT is the right place to raise this point. Welcome on board.

For example if you get status with BA then you are allowed an extra bag and a heavier weight limit. And it could be status with another oneworld airline such as Qatar too. If you are not a regular traveller then this isn't so easy to get, but if this travel is the start of a regular process then you may want to do some research as to whether you try to get status for future travel

Also, rather than paying extra for a bag, you may want to consider spending the money on World Traveller Plus (premium economy) since that also gives you another bag.

More details here:
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances

You could also consider getting a cheap bag for the return leg if you are only using the bag in one direction. Ikea's zip bags have been used in extremis!

BA's charges are a lot more reasonable and generous compared to some airlines (e.g. Cathay Pacific) and their allowances are at least as good as the rest of the pack in this area.

And regulars will see this coming: unless you are moving house, it's perfectly possible to live off hand baggage with a bit of planning and careful packaging. I survive for weeks of travelling off a single carry on bag - I don't check in a bag at all.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
My sister booked me a ticket from BAH Bahran to YVR Vancouver via British airways. When I was checking in online, I then realized my baggage allowance is only 1bg 23kg. Am I the only one whos surprised?? Yes, I have heard that international flight within Europe this allowance applies but to travel half way around the world over 27hrs!? I was already upset when I read this but what made me angry was that they had the audacity to right "you'd be surprised what you can fit in one bag," or something. .. Yes, I know what can fit in one bag, thats why I need 2.

Finally I got over it and checked the price for an extra checked in bag. The man at the call center told me 42bd which is a near 150usd each way, one way the bag being empty. A total of about 300usd ontop of my 1500usd flight, great..
You could consider Air Canada next time. Their baggage allowance is the standard 23kg but additional bags are only $100, which may or may not work out cheaper than BA, depending on the cost of the fare in the first place. The point I'm making is that to compare the relative value of flights you need to factor in all the costs, not focus on one component in isolation.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
23kg is a fairly standard economy class baggage allowance. If you like, you can go up to 32 kg for extra $100/£65.00.

Compared to many airlines, BA's excess baggage charges are extremely reasonable, $85/£55 for an extra bag weighing up to 23 kg for economy class if you buy it in advance.

(This assumes you bought the ticket after 30 September 2014 - if you bought it before that, slightly different prices may apply).

llinllinn have you noticed BA's extremely generous hand luggage allowance, provided you can stow the hand luggage yourself?

I suddenly remembered the days when 23 kg seemed rather generous because 20 kg was the norm in economy class.
Am I showing my age?

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jun 21, 2015 at 3:42 am
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by fripperies
You could consider Air Canada next time. Their baggage allowance is the standard 23kg but additional bags are only $100, which may or may not work out cheaper than BA, depending on the cost of the fare in the first place. The point I'm making is that to compare the relative value of flights you need to factor in all the costs, not focus on one component in isolation.
Does Air Canada fly to Bahrain?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I suddenly remembered the days when 23 kg was generous because 20 kg was the norm in economy class.
Am I showing my age?
I think you are showing signs of alzheimer's in forgetting that the allowance for travel to and from the Americas used to be a standard of 2 x 32Kg regardless of class
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think you are showing signs of alzheimers The allowance for travel to and from the Americas used to be a standard of 2 x 32Kg regardless of class
I completely forgot about the US as most of my trips in the old days were east-bound ex-LON where the allowances used to be 20 kg.

Of course, compared to the old US allowances, 23 kg would seem very little.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
As you are in Bahrain, gulf air would have allowed 30kg but limit hand luggage to 6kg
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:43 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
23kg is a fairly standard economy class baggage allowance. If you like, you can go up to 32 kg for extra $100/£65.00.

Compared to many airlines, BA's excess baggage charges are extremely reasonable, $85/£55 for an extra bag weighing up to 23 kg for economy class if you buy it in advance.

(This assumes you bought the ticket after 30 September 2014 - if you bought it before that, slightly different prices may apply).

I suddenly remembered the days when 23 kg seemed rather generous because 20 kg was the norm in economy class.
Am I showing my age?
Maybe you're just too young that your only memory of baggage allowance is paying for it on the likes of Ryanair and Air Asia.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think you are showing signs of alzheimer's in forgetting that the allowance for travel to and from the Americas used to be a standard of 2 x 32Kg regardless of class
not forgetting at all the annoyance caused by this to people not flying to the Americas, who wondered why on earth these greedy b**tards should get a much bigger allowance...
Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by stevehh
not forgetting at all the annoyance caused by this to people not flying to the Americas, who wondered why on earth these greedy b**tards should get a much bigger allowance...
African flights still get two bags, as do those to Brazil.

India also gets two, if connecting to/from the U.S. Interestingly Saudi Arabia also gets this, so it seems a bit unlucky for the OP that this doesn't extend to BAH!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.