Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of 85k Avios

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2015, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Best use of 85k Avios

Hi All,

Looking to either goto Dubai, Doha or Abu Dhabi for a little trip and hoping to get some money off using my 85k Avios. If I even have enough. Seen some pretty good Qatar airways business 2for1 fares etc but that wont work as theres 3 of us!

I live in Newcastle so could fly to Dusseldorf & Amsterdam & Dublin easy if i was to get some business class savings/ suppose even Econonmy redemption would be ok

Theres 2 adults and 1 child who's 4 - which will make the business class much more expensive.

Any help would be appreciated
Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
The Qatar 2for1 fares aren't actually 2for1, they're usually 50% off the base fare - so bookings for 3 are no problem. They do seem pretty expensive if you're just flying to DOH though.

Maybe use the Avios to get one of you in J from TXL to AUH on Air Belin and pay for the others?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
75K would get you all there and back in Y TXL-AUH.

You can do both legs in the day although I'd strongly recommend an overnight in TXL before the outbound. The APD savings should pay for that. As a day flight on a wide body aircraft, it's probably reasonably comfortable for what is a pretty short flight as long-haul goes.

FRA-DOH is a similar option in terms of mileage value, but it's more expensive in terms of surcharges.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.can't get to txl or fra from.ncl ..I would have to go via lhr which would be a pain

I could get to AMS easy and Dublin.....is it worth redeeming for those two?

Originally Posted by Cymro
75K would get you all there and back in Y TXL-AUH.

You can do both legs in the day although I'd strongly recommend an overnight in TXL before the outbound. The APD savings should pay for that. As a day flight on a wide body aircraft, it's probably reasonably comfortable for what is a pretty short flight as long-haul goes.

FRA-DOH is a similar option in terms of mileage value, but it's more expensive in terms of surcharges.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Best use of 85k Avios

To be honest, if I were you I would save the Avios, pay cash in this instance, and keep building your balance. Or splash it on short hops.

What you're proposing to do isn't screaming "value" at me.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: Intercontinental Gold Ambassador | British Airways Silver EC
The value on short haul redemption is pretty awful to be honest. If you're willing to slum it in economy, you have enough points for three return flights to New York. I personally feel that NYC reward flights are excellent value - especially in Club. All depends on whether that destination appeals to you?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by craigmmorq4
Thanks.can't get to txl or fra from.ncl ..I would have to go via lhr which would be a pain

I could get to AMS easy and Dublin.....is it worth redeeming for those two?
How about Easyjet EDI-SXF with overnight somehwere in Berlin on the way out before daytime flight AB TXL-AUH?

Last edited by AlienInTheFatherland; Jun 22, 2015 at 1:43 am
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mslouisebrain
The value on short haul redemption is pretty awful to be honest. If you're willing to slum it in economy, you have enough points for three return flights to New York. I personally feel that NYC reward flights are excellent value - especially in Club. All depends on whether that destination appeals to you?
Did you mean that? RFS are one of the very best uses of Avios
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by mslouisebrain
Do you mean long haul redemptions are bad value, not short haul?

Long haul economy redemptions are the proverbial Avios down the drain. NYC reward flights are good value in Club, but the OP doesn't have nearly enough to make a redemption of that size, and not for three people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.