Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wishful Thinking Post. Your Ideal BA Fleet

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 1:20 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I'm not as concerned about the aircraft type, I'd just like a decent pitch and seat width in all of them in the Y cabin. Say a 32" pitch as a minimum (Yes, CE, I'm looking at you..)
Old May 26, 2015, 3:38 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I would like to voice my support for the proposed seaplane service up the Thames. And Concorde.

I also really liked WT in the longhaul 767s so they can come back too - or they could just reconfigure the 787s to 2-3-2.

The Airbus s/h fleet can stay - but with reconfigured cabins. And I quite like the 777s. No opinion on the 747 vs A380 thing.
Old May 26, 2015, 3:47 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I'm not as concerned about the aircraft type, I'd just like a decent pitch and seat width in all of them in the Y cabin. Say a 32" pitch as a minimum (Yes, CE, I'm looking at you..)
But CE isn't Y. Oh, I see.

Anyway, not going to happen. Y cabins are only going to get worse.
Old May 26, 2015, 4:35 am
Suspended

Screw FlyerTalk

Last edited by Tiny Clanger; Jul 2, 2016 at 12:40 pm Reason: Screw FlyerTalk
Old May 26, 2015, 4:38 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by Tiny Clanger
Bring back the Chinooks. Preferably to JER
speaking of which, bring back the Gatwick to Heathrow helicopter service.
Old May 26, 2015, 4:43 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Oh god no! Years of summers were ruined by those horrid helicopters circling my hometown, Newbury.....never a moment's peace!
Old May 26, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards

I would definitley pay a premium and go indirect for a flight which included a helicopter transfer. Maybe not Chinooks but a quieter aircraft such as the EH101 (which I would hope would be more acceptable to headingwest)

On another note, how about using small airfields like BBS (30 mins to Heathrow) or Wycombe Air Park (also 30 mins by car) to use small efficent aircraft (thinking BeechCraft King type) with a minicoach transfer to LHR to serve cities across the UK which lack connectivity, Cardiff, Britol, Exeter etc. Easy to fill 18 seats, no cabin crew required for that size of aircraft.

Last edited by Worcester; May 26, 2015 at 5:13 am
Old May 26, 2015, 5:14 am

I, sort of, agree with the OP's sentiments. 767's are definitely better suited to short haul/domestic sectors.

Having flown 737-8's and 9's with Continental and United on occasions too numerous to mention, I do disagree, though with the disrespect shown to one of Seattle's finest products. The secret with High Density aircraft is in the boarding and disembarkation - something American carriers do well, and European carriers don't.

The 737 flights are boarded strictly in Seating Zones. The Seating Zone number is clearly printed on the Boarding Pass whether at check in or on line, according to the seat row number (eg Seat Rows 25 to 32 will be Group 2 - Group 1 is for Business First and Premier passengers).

At the gate, five lanes are clearly marked out with tensa barriers and at the appropriate time, Group 1 is boarded first, followed by Group 2 and so on. The Gate Agents are strict about telling people when they have joined the wrong line too, without being rude!

When you board the aeroplane, there is very little congestion on the airbridge or in the aluminium tube itself.

Similarly, (and it could be because we go through Houston, Texas rather a lot, where people generally tend to have good manners), there is no bun fight at disembarkation time. The rear seaters tend to hang back to let those in front exit first, those on the aisle and middle step back to let the window seaters get out. So nothing wrong with the aeroplane, it's how the airlines deal with it that counts!
Old May 26, 2015, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Worcester
On another note, how about using small airfields like BBS (30 mins to Heathrow) or Wycombe Air Park (also 30 mins by car) to use small efficent aircraft (thinking BeechCraft King type) with a minicoach transfer to LHR to serve cities across the UK which lack connectivity, Cardiff, Britol, Exeter etc. Easy to fill 18 seats, no cabin crew required for that size of aircraft.
One cabin crew will always be required for safety purposes.

Frankly once you get into a coach/bus transfer to another airport ... no matter how well executed it is, you might as well hire a car and drive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.