Wiki Posts
Search

If BA Understood Irony...

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by xxxxx
Put it this way, BA get more revenue from a passenger flying AA than AA do!
Not sure exactly what that means.

If someone books a flight with BA but flies AA, does BA get >50% of the revenue?

If so, I guess it makes sense for BA to want to push people to AA and my tongue-in-cheek comment about them decimating the passengers experience to encourage people to fly AA may not be that far from the truth. And, that'd also explain why AA then advertise in BA's back garden, to get people book direct. I love a good conspiracy theory.

Is the opposite also true, if someone books a BA flight with AA then AA gets >50% of the revenue?
Old May 14, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Reading between the lines, I'm therefore going to assume its not as simple as an even split, no matter who people fly with, as is often suggested.

It'd be madness for one airline to sign up for that, leaving it open for a JV partner to cut their service to the bone, decimating the frequent flyer earnings rate while doubling the cost to book redemptions or upgrades, cramming their passengers into their short-haul cabins, reducing their short-haul business offering to be as close to economy that it does not matter, closing lounges early, charging their top tier passengers to select a seat, and more, all in the hope that their passengers would fly with another JV partner.

Of course, no airline would do that.
Correct, not an even split, nowhere near even, but it works for all involved to a satisfactory level.
Old May 14, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: BA silver
BA's slogan not - To Fly to Serve
but ( thinking of Trollied here)
BA- Serves you Right!
Old May 14, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
Surely...

Originally Posted by Calchas
I would expect AAdvantage members to be upgraded ahead of BAEC members on AA metal.
I do hope so, otherwise what's the point in being Lifetime Platinum!!
Old May 14, 2015, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As I drift gently towards using AA/US for TATL, I find this whole scenario fascinating.

I have no idea what BA is thinking, if indeed it is.
Old May 14, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by T8191
As I drift gently towards using AA/US for TATL, I find this whole scenario fascinating.

I have no idea what BA is thinking, if indeed it is.
Quite so. I am seriously thinking of flying AA on my next trip to JFK.

Why put up with the CW dorm if I can get aisle access from AA ?
Old May 14, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Raffles
There is an AA campaign on the tube at the moment which tells you to fly them, rather than a competitor, because they have direct aisle access.

Someone at AA needs their head examining. They are spending a huge amount of money tempting passengers from BA, just to hand over half of the ticket spend to BA anyway - and eat all the marginal costs themselves!
Originally Posted by stevie
Pathetic really.
Apathy in a marriage does often lead to a divorce. !

at some point after AA has conquered enough of BA' s pax, there will be a divorce. Clever strategy.
Old May 14, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Don't know who gets the money but I won't use BA when I can use AA 777 -300 on TATL. for my money AA777-300 is light years ahead of club world. Indeed I would go further and say they seat is on par with club world plus, which BA laughingly calls First.
AA lounges are not great but they are perfectly acceptable as a waiting room before a flight. AA on board wine is a bit iffy but drinkable. Food in my experience is good wholesome Fayre served well......and you get your first choice via pre booking which BA is only trialling now on a few routes.

The inflight snacks in the galley have been excellent.

AA crew have been superb.....friendly, open, attententive and clearly happy to be doing what they do..something which surprised me greatly

For me the seat is everything, the privacy, personal space and IFE make the decision a no brainer
Old May 14, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
I think we just found BA's new slogan. Very catchy!
I'm with Hitler with a twist.

British Airways - marginally better than walking.
Old May 14, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bafan
Quite so. I am seriously thinking of flying AA on my next trip to JFK.

Why put up with the CW dorm if I can get aisle access from AA ?
I was actually trying to get BA to price me out SFO-JFK-LHR-HAM and back instead of taking the direct route, but even I could get it for one direction, BA would only give me via DFW or ORD on the way back. I do need four BA flights, i.e. I need BA numbers on the flight even if operated by AA.
Old May 14, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
Despite evidence we see every day to the contrary, they aren't quite that stupid (yet). I recall there was a degree of quiet celebrating in years gone by, before the JV was finally given clearance, that the losses/costs weren't being shared with BA whenever there was a serious transatlantic traffic downturn for AA ...

On a more entertaining note, however, how can we adapt AA's #GoingForGreat hashtag to our favourite airline?

#GoingForOurCustomers?

#GoingForAPint?

#GoingForOKishOnReflection?
Add
#WeGoingForBroke !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.