Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 183 diverted to PHL last night. Recourse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 183 diverted to PHL last night. Recourse?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Another celeb (Jeremy Piven) angry with BA

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I couldn't get the search function to work and it didn't appear on the first couple of pages.

Jeremy Piven's (actor from Entourage and Mr Selfridge for the unititiated) twitter feed indicates that he isn't a happy bunny this morning.
Seems he is/was on a flight from LHR-JFK which was diverted to PHL, and they are being held on the plane on the ground for 7hrs!
Have to admit that sounds like a lot given the transatlantic flight time.

For those who are Twitter averse, the timeline seems to go...

0401 JFK wouldn't let us land so we had to fly to Philly. Just had enough fuel, strange times indeed . Grateful we mad it, now how to get home...

0410 Thanks, sitting next to a nice group of men who are all barefoot and cackling so I have that going for me...

0625 they are going to hold us for 4 more hours here in Philly. Pilot refuses to fly to JFK here on British airways. people are starting to panic

0633 They won't let us off the plane, we flew from London ... (in response to someone who asks why he doesn't just drive)

0638 allowed to be on a runway for 3 hours, so they will take us to a holding tank until 5:00 am at that point customs (in response to someone asking why they won't let them off)

0645 British Airways from London and they will hold us 7 hours here on the ground in Philly. No one is telling us why.

0801 @British_Airways holding us for a total of 7 hours on the ground when immigration opens...holding us all hostage

1020 @British_Airways dropped us in the wrong city and we have been on the floor for 7 hours, finally we brake through... Nice operation they run

1023 I have had great luck with Virgin, might want to reconsider... (in response to someone saying they are flying BA on Wed and are worried now)

Any idea what happened and why they weren't allowed to land at JFK in the first place? Sounds like the communications to the passengers/customers could've been better at any rate.
Old May 9, 2015, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Looks like it was BA183, "diverted due to weather".

https://twitter.com/British_Airways/...56608946667520
Old May 9, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: my wings are gold
another "celeb " I have never heard of
Old May 9, 2015, 4:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
On flightradar24 it looks like they got to 300 feet on approach to JFK after a shortish hold, and then diverted to PHL.
That's more interesting than the rant on twitter
The return from JFK (BA178) is cancelled this morning.
Old May 9, 2015, 4:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tinkerbell
another "celeb " I have never heard of
+1.

Lots of disgruntled E-list 'celeb' around BA FT forum recently. Where are all those A-listers, B-listers or even D-listers nowadays? All on AA LAX-JFK shuttle?

I wonder when the news of Ed Balls being downgraded on a BA flight would emerge one day? Waiting patiently.
Old May 9, 2015, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
I suggest we come up with an FT approved list of people who can be called a "celeb" on a thread. Any reference to anyone else being a "celeb" should result in the thread immediately being deleted.

I'll start with the list:

<start of list>
</end of list>

Looks good?
Old May 9, 2015, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Do we really need to have a new thread everytime some one off the telly has a bad flight???

And as he himself states at 08:01 (as does the BA twitter feed posted by zeltergist also states) there being held on the plane was down to the US CBP not being there.

Perhaps he could tweet his Congressman / Senator about the CBP instead?
Old May 9, 2015, 5:05 am

Do people really expect to have heard of every celeb?

And if you haven't heard of one, why comment? I know it's a public board and have every right to comment, but I'm trying to see how it contributes to the thread.

Anyway, I once was on a flight that had a medical diversion to Baltimore. There were no immigration facilities so they tried to keep us on the plane. After a few hours the passengers revolted and they allowed us into the gate area of the terminal. It was a nightmare, as they tried to contain us in a 'secure' area that didn't include and f&d options, or toilets.

I don't know what the answer is to cases like this. I guess they can hardly magic up a bunch of immigration officials at no notice.
Old May 9, 2015, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It's not BA holding them hostage, it's immigration in Philadelphia that is.
BA would have no choice but to keep customers onboard if immigration won't let customers off the aircraft.
Philadelphia airport shouldn't accept an international diversion if they couldn't process the passengers.
Old May 9, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Exactly, the rants make it sound as if the flight was diverted for no real reason. The last thing any airline wants to do is divert, it causes a lot of problems for the customers and the airline and is done as a last resort.

Then they don't want to be stuck with lots of irate passengers on their aircraft either.
Old May 9, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Philadelphia airport shouldn't accept an international diversion if they couldn't process the passengers.
Exactly!

What exactly did the officials at PHL expect to happen?!
Old May 9, 2015, 7:33 am

Who on earth is Jeremy Piven?
Old May 9, 2015, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Who on earth is Jeremy Piven?
Well - you could look here, or even read the OP.
Old May 9, 2015, 7:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Exactly, the rants make it sound as if the flight was diverted for no real reason. The last thing any airline wants to do is divert, it causes a lot of problems for the customers and the airline and is done as a last resort.

Then they don't want to be stuck with lots of irate passengers on their aircraft either.
Aren't alternate airports set before the flight, by in this case BA Ops? I wonder if having immigrations open is a consideration when selecting a diversion airport? If so, it would be up to BA Ops to figure an alternate airport that will have immigrations open at the time of a potential diversion. If not, I wonder why it wouldn't be considered. It would save these type of incidents as infrequent as they are.

In this case it certainly doesn't sound like PHL's or INS's fault for not having immigration on staff 'in case' of a diversion. Not having immigrations open is hardly a reason to deny a flight from landing, particularly a diversion.
Old May 9, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
I know who he is but it seems his beef is not with BA. Too bad about the diversion for everyone else that doesn't Twit their travails.

H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.