Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 183 diverted to PHL last night. Recourse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
Check how many Cat 3 ILS JFK is equipped with. (You'll be appalled). Now check the JFK NOTAMs to see how many of them are actually working at the moment.
Thanks ^ for sharing this
Old May 10, 2015, 1:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There doesn't seem to be much point. Everyone seems to know the answers.

I'll give everyone a clue. Check how many Cat 3 ILS JFK is equipped with. (You'll be appalled). Now check the JFK NOTAMs to see how many of them are actually working at the moment.
Having looked at a chart now I am surprised!.

So KJFK has the following runway pairs:
  • Runway 04L-22R 11351' x 150' asphalt
  • Runway 04R-22L 8400' x 200' asphalt
  • Runway 13L-31R 10000' x 150' asphalt
  • Runway 13R-31L 14572' x 150' asphalt

Looking at a 2011 chart I can only see CAT III plates for 4R and 22L so only one runway in effect is ever theoretically available for CAT III landings (i.e. full autoland in very low visibility) as only one of 4R/22L could ever be in use at one time, and it is the shortest runway of the lot at 2560m! To put that runway length in to context it is nearly as short as LBA's at 2250m which has a reputation for not being a particularly long runway.

So crap CAT III capabilities indeed for a major airport! Also to contrast that with LHR, all four runways (9L, 9R, 27L, & 27R) are CAT III.

Now if anyone can understand and fill us in on the relevant NOTAMs?
Old May 10, 2015, 1:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I'll give everyone a clue. Check how many Cat 3 ILS JFK is equipped with. (You'll be appalled). Now check the JFK NOTAMs to see how many of them are actually working at the moment.
Jumbodriver, this is fascinating and alarming. Much more interesting than my own armchair musings too. It would be great if you could elaborate.
Old May 10, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

I'm surprised at JFK's poor ILS facilities.

It appears that the captain had pre-decided that in the event of a missed approach he would divert to PHL, due to the risk of another failed approach at JFK, eating up more reserves. Would I have that right?
Old May 10, 2015, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
But we need people like you to give your professional opinion, as you say there are so many who seem to actually know what happened but are just guessing, I do find it funny.
To be fair if there was a PatentTalk website I don't think I would ever go on as all I would find were a lot of armchair experts second guessing everything I or my colleagues did based on their "expert" patent knowledge which they picked up 5 minutes ago from wikipedia! However, I am glad that at least some BA staff are brave enough to come on here and post.
Old May 10, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
deleted

Last edited by greg5; May 10, 2015 at 1:29 pm Reason: Nope, that wasn't it.
Old May 10, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by tinkerbell
another "celeb " I have never heard of
Well I say that when I see a name or a person on a newscast......till me wife reminded me that it is OK. S/he does not know me either !
Old May 10, 2015, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by greg5
deleted
Your link doesn't work, could you copy the text in?
Old May 10, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by KARFA
Your link doesn't work, could you copy the text in?
I had deleted it. Here it is, or the page it was on anyways. But there is this as well, which might be better.? BTW, anyone know if the datestamps are UTC?
Old May 10, 2015, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by greg5
I had deleted it. Here it is, or the page it was on anyways. But there is this as well, which might be better.?
Yes, I found the same but I admit I can't read NOTAMs. I can just about tell which ones relate to ILS for the relevant runways but I can't tell what dates and times they are covering.
Old May 10, 2015, 1:39 pm

For those that don't speak NOTAM, even Wikipedia says "Temporarily closed for construction" next to 4R–22L, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F....infrastructure

and

http://gothamist.com/2015/02/26/jfk_runway_bye_bye.php

EDIT: Q: if you know this is coming, what preparations (if any) do you make as a pilot or indeed airline?
Old May 10, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rather sobering to read just how badly equipped JFK is. My understanding is ATC there isn't well regarded either.

While BA are getting plenty wrong at the moment I do have confidence in their crews and flight operations people to make the correct, safe, call.
Old May 10, 2015, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
+1. If true, it's pretty shocking.

BGR has 24/7 CBP but would have required backtracking for 46-60 mins.
If true being the operative phrase there.

As others have pointed out Flightaware appears to show a number of loops prior to landing, plus the pilot tells ATC "we need to route directly to Philly this time".
Old May 10, 2015, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
Jumbodriver, this is fascinating and alarming. Much more interesting than my own armchair musings too. It would be great if you could elaborate.

The ILS 22L is Cat 1 only. Until May 18th.

22R/04L are completely closed so using 04R for arrivals is something they would hate to do. They'd rather risk some go arounds from 31R. The problem arises when you hold long haul aircraft for a long time and then give them an approach to a Cat 1 only runway in marginal weather.

You clearly aren't assured of a landing at JFK, So if you don't have enough fuel for another approach, followed by a diversion and still land at diversion with reserve fuel, then you have to divert straight away. It's fairly clear there was a plan B (more likely F or G) that they put into action straight after the go-around.

We have no knowledge of customs hours on the flight deck.

Last edited by Jumbodriver; May 10, 2015 at 2:01 pm
Old May 10, 2015, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't want to play armchair quarterback, but fuel running low after one aborted landing, flying LHR-JFK, with not enough for a go-round? Doesn't sound right to me.

As mentioned upthread, PHL-Manhattan by train is a piece of cake, even late at night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.