Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA could have enhanced the F and C experience instead of penalizing WT/WTP.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA could have enhanced the F and C experience instead of penalizing WT/WTP.

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
If you're actually comparing connecting itineraries on other airlines to BA's non-stop flights, that's comparing apples to oranges.
Then why are BA intercontinental journeys from LBA/EDI/MAN/GLA typically no cheaper than starting in LON?
Old May 4, 2015, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Calchas
Then why are BA intercontinental journeys from LBA/EDI/MAN/GLA typically no cheaper than starting in LON?
Naturally, all of the above are still considered "Home Market" in the same way that London is to BA. Anyone who flies out of the UK is more or less a "captured audience" where BA enjoys a significant amount of home bias.

Now a reason why a route like JFK-DOH-BOM on QR would be much cheaper than say, JFK-LHR-BOM on BA is likely due to QR's desire to gain market share, a phenomenon often seen in an industry when a new entrant tries to take away customers from an established company. North America, for the most part, is still a relatively new market for Qatar based on how recently they started to fly non-stop there and by the small number of flights they have vs. BA. In terms of passenger volume on TATL flights, BA completely dwarfs QR by what, something like 20 to 1? QR plans expansions into more airports like Atlanta and etc. but they are still just at a planning stage as opposed to actually flying them.

So it would make sense for QR to use cut-throat pricing strategy or even price it just barely above cost and it would be equally wise for BA not to match. It's unlikely QR can sustain that kind of pricing for an extended period of time, plus the kind of customers QR will succeed in stealing from BA at that price point will likely be upgraders who instead of paying the cheapest WT+ plus miles to upgrade to CW as opposed to those who actually travel on corporate business fares. You'd ask why? Put it this way, corporate contracts cannot adjust to short-term sales fares as easily as small business owners or leisure travellers can. Putting on a sale for a month or two will not put a dent into those corporate relationships but if BA starts to match those fares, then those corporate clients may start to demand discounts.

Discounting on a route like JFK-CDG/ORY to try to force La Compagnie out of market is something else entirely, here there is a strategic purpose. Besides, that sale explicitly excludes JFK-LHR and require the TATL portion to fly into Paris directly, which makes sense since New York-Paris is not a primary market for BA where BA is in fact in a position to try to steal market share from the likes of AF as opposed to defending a home market like LHR would be.

Considering the limited info I can access publicly, it would appear to me that BA is managing its pricing strategies logically and rationally. I have to say that Indian sub-continent is about the only part of the world where QR can offer a reasonable alternative for North American travellers without adding a significant amount of extra travel time. For instance, QR can't really compete for TPAC business or those going to Africa. Flying from North America to Australia via Doha is not logical for most business travellers. Let's just say QR will eventually have to figure out something else other than using cut-throat pricing.
Old May 4, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
all one can say in response is what a business colleague used to say when I lamented the " cards" I was dealt and saying I saying only if I could have THAT location......he would quote a saying that goes something like " HMPS, if my grandma had manly equipment, she would be my grandpa !
ALL factors considered QR is much cheaper than BA.....as shown....whether one brings out Emirates or predatory pricing strategy.
Nothing stops BA from going head to head to combat competitors. perhaps their business model is geared to short term profits. wonder if the planners do a What If scenarios when the market dips.
Old May 4, 2015, 8:35 pm

For my flights from SE Asia (SIN, HKG etc) to the USA, where I prefer to stop in Europe either for work or pleasure, I prefer to fly carriers such as QR, AY etc. rather than BA - simply to avoid (1) BA's atrocious fuel surcharges (2) UK airport taxes (3) BA's mediocre J product & (4) the awful experience of flying via LHR - roughly in that order of importance.

Of course I pay for my own tickets (and not an employer), hence (1) & (2) are more pertinent to me than perhaps to others.

So I certainly cheer for QR (especially with their frequent sales) and also welcome carriers like Norwegian which have been responsible for reducing transatlantic fares (in both Y & J).

BA can go to h@##, as far as I am concerned.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Are you saying that on the same routes, you can get J tickets on other airlines for the same price as WT+ on BA?

If you're actually comparing connecting itineraries on other airlines to BA's non-stop flights, that's comparing apples to oranges.
Originally Posted by callum9999
And it begs the question of why they weren't buying those other J fares in the first place. I don't buy the regular claims on here about being "loyal" to BA - if you have a genuine sense of loyalty to a capitalist firm (some unexpectedly generous act of kindness aside) then I'd question your sanity!

Apologies if I didn't make it clear in my post that I was relating to my own personal circumstances. My travel is generally based around cost rather than time constraint so getting from A-B in some sort of affordable comfort is more important than the quickest route.

callum9999 Whilst I viewed the WT+ prices and the UUA as competitive for the product and service I was receiving it obviously made sense to take the shortest route. Nothing too insane about that surely?

There seems to be a vibe that non direct flights from A-B make the argument about BA flights being overpriced invalid. I personally don't see it that way myself but I must be in the apples is apples minority
Old May 4, 2015, 11:03 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Isn't the increase for WT+ to CW upgrade price simply the case of the previous figure being unsustainably low (we even questioned the logic of that on this very forum), rather than anything else, considering the big jump in the comfort level from WT+ to CW?

I'd see it as 'it had been a real bargain in the past but the sale is over, it's back to its appropriate price'.
Old May 5, 2015, 1:21 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Isn't the increase for WT+ to CW upgrade price simply the case of the previous figure being unsustainably low (we even questioned the logic of that on this very forum), rather than anything else, considering the big jump in the comfort level from WT+ to CW?

I'd see it as 'it had been a real bargain in the past but the sale is over, it's back to its appropriate price'.
I'm sure BA number crunched thoroughly and the changes reflect what they deem to be best business practice for them... Unsustainable, Unprofitable or not profitable enough, who can really say?

I think there are too many variables though to say whether the product could be termed a bargain or an appropriate price from a customer point of view. All dependent on where you place BA prices in comparison to the rest of the market, and how that market fits your flying habits.

Have to admit to being disappointed at the lack of over dramatic flouncing from BA on here after the changes though, was expecting more fireworks
Old May 5, 2015, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by golmaale
For my flights from SE Asia (SIN, HKG etc) to the USA, where I prefer to stop in Europe either for work or pleasure, I prefer to fly carriers such as QR, AY etc. rather than BA - simply to avoid (1) BA's atrocious fuel surcharges (2) UK airport taxes (3) BA's mediocre J product & (4) the awful experience of flying via LHR - roughly in that order of importance.

Of course I pay for my own tickets (and not an employer), hence (1) & (2) are more pertinent to me than perhaps to others.

So I certainly cheer for QR (especially with their frequent sales) and also welcome carriers like Norwegian which have been responsible for reducing transatlantic fares (in both Y & J).

BA can go to h@##, as far as I am concerned.
If you pay for your own tickets with cash, then fuel charges and UK taxes should be irrelevant to you; the only thing that matters is the total ticket price.

By contrast if you 'pay' with miles, then you have to understand that BA is really not in the business of making its award prices the most competitive in the market.
Old May 5, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I can related to the OP's sentiment and it seems that many people feel that way as I find a lot more good WT+ deals ex Europe. At the current rates, I am more than happy to sit in the WT+ cabin, bring insane amounts of checked luggage, pillage the lounges and enjoy the overall premium LCC experience that WT+ exudes. I am genuinely happy with the product and would neither spend money nor miles to get into CW anymore.
Originally Posted by simons1
..For me the best model is one based on spend, which is the way the US airlines are going (I noticed SAA has just done the same).
OPMs don't actually 'spend' any money ... and in the next round of the devaluation roulettes airlines will crank down benefits for the perceived-capitve low-incentive premium customers. It has happened chez LH and SQ and to a more camouflaged degree to DL, it will come to BA too eventually.
Old May 5, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
66,000 is a 120% increase from 30,000; 72,000 is 140% more. Otherwise, your comparison to "a 20, 25% increase" goes all wrong.

If you look at peak UuA prices for WT+ to CW, they've basically doubled (or increased by 100%) to the same price as the old price for CW to F (which is still the current peak UuA price for that). So using peak prices, it costs you the same to UuA from WT+ to CW as it does to UuA from CW to F.

That's not an illogical starting point, especially considering the difference between WT+ and CW is arguably much greater than the difference between CW and F - and hence the argument that WT+ to CW UuAs have been woefully underpriced (= a real bargain) for years.
And they very inexpensive way to travel CW and huge advantage for me and many others has been the minimal avios required to upgrade from WT+ to CW with almost as many avios as you end up getting for flying that route anyway !!
Ie NA east coast to LHR was 10,000 avios each way added to a WT+ fare and flying silver with the previous cabin bonus for WT+ as silver close to 9,000 were awarded. Essentially an avios neutral trip. Now it's double and then some and the advantage is minimal. This was (used to be) the main advantage of BA for me and it's not anymore. In fact my wife and I can travel across the pond one on avios for just about the same amount of avios on a reward booking while the other pays a CW fare and that can work out cheaper than than 2 WT+ UuA to CW and with way more tier points for the one who books CW. As long as we travel together only one need status for both to get the benefits. And the silver bonus miles are reduced anyway so other than domestic lounge access and prebooking seats - if we travel in premium cabins being silver has NO benefit
I imagine many will be looking at competitive airlines..........
Old May 5, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by d3vski
Do not panic...should everything go as expected on Thursday, with the Ed and Nicola show running the country for the next 5 years, the economy will tank and BA will reverse the Avios devalution as the premium cabins go empty.
More likely there will be a rush of one way ticket purchases as no-one is going to buy a return ticket to a country that will suddenly be back in the 1970s.��
Old May 6, 2015, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wb1969
More likely there will be a rush of one way ticket purchases as no-one is going to buy a return ticket to a country that will suddenly be back in the 1970s.��
The alternatives are the 1980s or the 1930s, so decide carefully
Old May 6, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by d3vski
Do not panic...should everything go as expected on Thursday, with the Ed and Nicola show running the country for the next 5 years, the economy will tank and BA will reverse the Avios devalution as the premium cabins go empty.
Then maybe the award spaces will open up and the humongous "fees" will come down to earth allowing us "hoarders" to unload some avios ! ^
Old May 6, 2015, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Well, even this one is very upset with the unwelcome changes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLe5aKSYgjM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.