Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ba.com security - pesky Russians in my account?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:01 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by To Eat.To Drink
Yep, me too and that was my take on it too. Same number, just the country code that was wrong.
Have been having this issue for months. Seems to be a disconnect between different parts of the IT system (my details in BAEC vs. the booking information). I must have changed it one way or the other about 20 times now - correct this Russian issue and then get told on another form that number is wrong as it starts 44 and has too many digits...
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by millionmiler
Take it very seriously. Change every password and login information on everything you can remember.
I actually did this a while back. I use LastPass, and it makes the whole process quite simple. I still have some duplicates, but none on sites that are of any importance.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
I must have changed it one way or the other about 20 times now - correct this Russian issue and then get told on another form that number is wrong as it starts 44 and has too many digits...
OK, so now I'm genuinely confused - how are we supposed to enter the number on the BAEC details page? It says to enter it without the country code (though I used to have it in there as 447xyz...) so I changed it to 07xyz...

But now on the summary page it tells me that it's stored as +07xyz...

So which is it - do we ignore the instructions, or the summary?

Probably explains why I never get any text messages about operational problems though...

The number as entered into my TA's system never seems to transfer to BA correctly either...
Old Dec 15, 2015, 1:00 pm
TFM

Programs: BA Gold
Angry

Originally Posted by DrBernardo
OK, so now I'm genuinely confused - how are we supposed to enter the number on the BAEC details page? It says to enter it without the country code (though I used to have it in there as 447xyz...) so I changed it to 07xyz...

But now on the summary page it tells me that it's stored as +07xyz...

So which is it - do we ignore the instructions, or the summary?

Probably explains why I never get any text messages about operational problems though...

The number as entered into my TA's system never seems to transfer to BA correctly either...

Nobody seems to have answered this... saw that all my bookings have my UK mobile down as being a Russian one. Can't add an 0 to my mobile on my main info page as it keeps on coming up with an error message. Any clues?
Old Dec 15, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: BAEC (although I might just cut up the card)
I think that there is some "process", probably some legacy account validation process. It seems to periodically reset and strip the country code from the number.

I remember before I left for my last trip. It popped up with verify details, and sure enough it was +7xxxxxxx. So I fixed it.

Since then I received a "time update" for my return flight over the holiday period and sure enough when I check now it shows correctly +447xxxxxxx. But, at some point in the future it will be reset.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:09 am

Unfortunately I suspect you've updated your password to an equally insecure one. Do you use the same password in any other web site?

I strongly recommend using a password database like Keepass or Lastpass and letting it generate a random password for each site. There's no human feasible way to generate good passwords for every site and remember them all.

(and use Google auth for any site that allows it. failing that enable 2 factor auth on any site that allows it.)
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC (although I might just cut up the card)
Originally Posted by zkzkz
Unfortunately I suspect you've updated your password to an equally insecure one. Do you use the same password in any other web site?

I strongly recommend using a password database like Keepass or Lastpass and letting it generate a random password for each site. There's no human feasible way to generate good passwords for every site and remember them all.

(and use Google auth for any site that allows it. failing that enable 2 factor auth on any site that allows it.)
For those where the number changes to a +7xxxxx number they don't recognize, I'd agree with you, maybe.

For those of us where the number changes to exactly our phone number, but instead of +447xxxxxxx the +44 is stripped and it becomes +7xxxxxx with our phone number still. I suspect it's a BA process doing this and not a password or security problem.

Unless of course the unlikely scenario, the russian hackers happened to have exactly the same number as me but on +7.. I'll choose to see that as statistically out of the question though :P
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:50 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by r00ty
For those where the number changes to a +7xxxxx number they don't recognize, I'd agree with you, maybe.

For those of us where the number changes to exactly our phone number, but instead of +447xxxxxxx the +44 is stripped and it becomes +7xxxxxx with our phone number still. I suspect it's a BA process doing this and not a password or security problem.

Unless of course the unlikely scenario, the russian hackers happened to have exactly the same number as me but on +7.. I'll choose to see that as statistically out of the question though :P
Fully agree - probably 50% of my bookings have this issue...
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
I have seeming random issues with the BA app on my phone missing the country code and picking up the first "7" in my mobile number and thinking it is the Russian country code when I check in via the app.

I tried updating my profile on ba.com to add a 0 to my mobile number, but every time i attempt a change the gremlins mess something up on the website and it logs me out.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:58 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
A rule of thumb I use is to specify my mobile number in international format on any website that I trust and needs it (i.e. +44 7xxxxxxxxx for a UK mobile number).
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:11 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by rumbataz
A rule of thumb I use is to specify my mobile number in international format on any website that I trust and needs it (i.e. +44 7xxxxxxxxx for a UK mobile number).
That's fantastic except for the fact that when you input your mobile number into your profile on BA's website it specifically says to exclude the country code.

There is a separate box where you select your country i.e. United Kingdom which should pull the +44 country code.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:11 am

Most of my bookings have been showing the +7 issue, and not been kidnapped by Russians as yet. (This applies to bookings done by our corp TA as well). Personally not worried about this slightest as just small glitch. (Maybe too relaxed, but got bigger problems to worry about in life )
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ned1968
Logged into ba.com this morning to check in for a flight to be greeted with a "please change your password" warning screen. Duly done, during checkin I see my contact phone number has been changed from my UK mobile number to a Russian number. 400K avios balance still intact fortunately but clearly BA are still having security issues - strongly recommend considering being proactive and changing your password and checking your bookings and balance.
From time to time for whatever reason BA changes my +44 79XXXXXXXXX number to +7 9XXXXXXXXX - I did complained about it a number of times, but nothing has improved. I guess it's a problem with integration between number of services..
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Anyone tried to contact "Ba.com Official" here about it? Or post this on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tter-free.html Janel seems to reply there often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.