Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ba.com security - pesky Russians in my account?

Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness

Logged into ba.com this morning to check in for a flight to be greeted with a "please change your password" warning screen. Duly done, during checkin I see my contact phone number has been changed from my UK mobile number to a Russian number. 400K avios balance still intact fortunately but clearly BA are still having security issues - strongly recommend considering being proactive and changing your password and checking your bookings and balance.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Ned1968
Logged into ba.com this morning to check in for a flight to be greeted with a "please change your password" warning screen. Duly done, during checkin I see my contact phone number has been changed from my UK mobile number to a Russian number. 400K avios balance still intact fortunately but clearly BA are still having security issues - strongly recommend considering being proactive and changing your password and checking your bookings and balance.
Don't forget that it could be you that has security issues.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Could be - but if someone simply got hold of my password and changed personal details or made bookings (like I do a few times a week), it wouldn't trigger a "please change your password" security warning.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Indeed.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

is a site which allows you to see if your email address (and associated password) has been leaked via one of the big hacks in recent years. Mine, for example, is on the Adobe hack list.

Of course, you'll have to decide whether you trust the site not to sell your email address to spammers...
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Did you try calling the number?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
My mobile number is also apparently changed to be Russian - with a +7 initial code - but actually I think it's a coding error on ba.com where UK mobile numbers (which all start with a 7) have had the initial 0 removed and now have the 7 as the country code rather than the +44.

The rest of the number is the same as my mobile number!

I've just changed it back to a +44
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Did you try calling the number?
I'd be signing them up to all sorts of stuff Especially good if its a mobile number - those premium services are expensive.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:34 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Retron
Indeed.

is a site which allows you to see if your email address (and associated password) has been leaked via one of the big hacks in recent years. Mine, for example, is on the Adobe hack list.

Of course, you'll have to decide whether you trust the site not to sell your email address to spammers...
Yikes!!! I'm on 2 of the lists
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Yikes!!! I'm on 2 of the lists
Take it very seriously. Change every password and login information on everything you can remember.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I have one email that was in the Adobe hack and it prompted me to change my passwords (and use LastPass). But I note that the Adobe hack also got away with the answers to security questions, which I hadn't thought about before.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
My mobile number is also apparently changed to be Russian - with a +7 initial code - but actually I think it's a coding error on ba.com where UK mobile numbers (which all start with a 7) have had the initial 0 removed and now have the 7 as the country code rather than the +44.

The rest of the number is the same as my mobile number!

I've just changed it back to a +44
Yep, me too and that was my take on it too. Same number, just the country code that was wrong.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Indeed.

Thanks for linking this website. I had no idea such a thing existed.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:52 pm

Indeed.

Also, bear in mind that this site does not include every breach known to man. I put in an account that I know has been exposed in at least a half dozen breaches by now, but it comes up clean.

Last edited by fwoomp; Apr 29, 2015 at 9:00 pm
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I think it's a coding error on ba.com where UK mobile numbers (which all start with a 7) have had the initial 0 removed and now have the 7 as the country code rather than the +44.
Same! I thought it was me being stupid
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, OWE Saphire, VS, IB, HHonours, Former Under The Sea Dweller
Phew no Pwnage found

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.