Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New rates are now in force [thread for discussions about the changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New rates are now in force [thread for discussions about the changes]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
I thought you got the pre-28 avois and TP on all your bookings but reading this thread makes me think that it only applies if the flight is a BA codeshare.
I pointed this out before - unless it's a codeshare, how can BAEC know when you booked a flight with a partner?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
I pointed this out before - unless it's a codeshare, how can BAEC know when you booked a flight with a partner?
If I have a ticket from BA containing AA flights then surely they know?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by clubman
TLV-LHR is now 10k Avis (one way WT) off peak, and remains at 12,500 peak, but I too am surprised you weren't charged for the domestic section as you should be.
It seems it has charged you taxes for the domestic sector though.
I just checked and it is trying to charge me. You might just be lucky or sth like that. Try going to payment page and see whether it still only wants 10k.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I just checked and it is trying to charge me. You might just be lucky or sth like that. Try going to payment page and see whether it still only wants 10k.
I think as Elevate wrote in post #40 above, that domestic connections from long-haul flights are not charged additional avios, but are charged additional taxes and fees.
I checked for a flight from NCL-MAN (via LHR - don't ask!) - its charging 8000 avios (off - peak) and 35 GBP - double everything.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:26 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
I thought you got the pre-28 avois and TP on all your bookings but reading this thread makes me think that it only applies if the flight is a BA codeshare.
I was under this impression too- and if my memory serves me correct, BA have changed the wording of their charts for their partners.

So- if I've booked US Airways flights before the deadline- I will regardless receive the Avios and TPs at the post-devaluation rates? I personally was given assurances over the phone that this would not be the case- twice.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DAC71
Call me a cynic, but is that quantifiable?
Well, in a sense, Max is right: if you have a set number of loaves of bread to sell and you sell them at £1.00, they will go at a set rate and there may not be any left for someone to have the opportunity to buy when you they get round to the shop. If, however, you raise the price of the loaf to £100, then fewer will sell and more will remain on the shelves giving many more people the "opportunity" to buy a loaf. Whether it would be a sensible use of their cash to do so and whether anybody (apart from the baker) would welcome such a price rise, however, is a different question...
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by NickB
If, however, you raise the price of the loaf to £100, then fewer will sell (...)
You are assuming a) the general public aren't all millionaires, and b) the baker isn't handing out £100 notes at the back door to anyone who signs up for his co-branded credit card, or c) handing out £100 compo to anyone who complains about the taste of his bread

I get the feeling there are so many Avios sloshing round the system that even at the enhanced redemption rates, 'desirable' premium redemptions will be thin on the ground.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
WT+ --> CW Upgrade

Its the WT+ --> CW upgrade that has really changed in many places.

For London to New York it used to be 20k avios for the return to upgrade to CW. This morning it is 48k off-peak. That is a massive 240% increase!

I was secretly hoping that there would be a new formula for calculating upgrades. It doesn't seem logical that during an off-peak period it would cost more avios to upgrade than during a peak period.

Perhaps the rationale is that off-peak WT+ will cost less than during peak period, so BA want more avios for the upgrade?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by tomdelay
For London to New York it used to be 20k avios for the return to upgrade to CW. This morning it is 48k off-peak. That is a massive 240% increase!
Flipping heck!

H
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:59 am

It doesn't seem logical that during an off-peak period it would cost more avios to upgrade than during a peak period.

Perhaps the rationale is that off-peak WT+ will cost less than during peak period, so BA want more avios for the upgrade?
I think that's exactly the reasoning: BA either want you to pay for a more expensive ticket (at peak), or a cheaper ticket (off peak) but have to 'spend' more Avios to upgrade.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Its the WT+ --> CW upgrade that has really changed in many places.

I was secretly hoping that there would be a new formula for calculating upgrades. It doesn't seem logical that during an off-peak period it would cost more avios to upgrade than during a peak period.

Could be that they expect to sell more seats for cash during a peak period and/or a lot of redemption seats are made available on slightly less desirable flights due to their timings and that by increasing the Avios required for these, they either
[a] force you to pay cash
[b] reduce the Avios out there quicker
[c] know you'll pay it regardless as there's no other option / you're not going to pay £2k for a CW seat but have enough Avios to MFU etc
[d] people expect cheaper fare during off peak periods so why not target these people to wrangle more out of them?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:07 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by Calchas

I was categorically assured in writing that pre-devaluation rates would apply and I expect that to be honoured.
I have a feeling that that writing may be of particular use!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Rewards, BAPP
Change to pre 28 LH booking?

Sorry, I know this has been covered but I can't find it and I'm in a rush (break at work)!

Myself and Mrs AQ have a F booking LHR-PVG in Aug (now peak) but availability has come up for our preferred LHR-NRT on the same day. Can you tell me what I should now expect to pay, £35 change obviously but anymore Avios?
Also, I could cancel our PVG-NRT connection with JAL on Avios.

Thanks
AQ
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I wonder if VS will pick up some business as a result of this.

Check out their redemption table and weep

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...d-flights.html

If they fly where you want to go then you certainly have a choice to make unless of course you feel that VS will follow BA's changes in the near future
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
I wonder if VS will pick up some business as a result of this.

Check out their redemption table and weep

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...d-flights.html

If they fly where you want to go then you certainly have a choice to make unless of course you feel that VS will follow BA's changes in the near future
Collecting Virgin miles with Virgin East Coast Trains is helpful towards that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.